8 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Spellweaver card choice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
I leveled my Spellweaver to level 2 and started to realize how hard it is to switch out cards for this class. With a hand size limit of only 8, this class has the lowest number of cards to chose for his hand. Given that Reviving Ether is absolutely mandatory, the choice goes down to 7 cards.

Now the role in my group is to be damage dealer and healer. There are two very powerful AOE cards (Fire Orbs, Impaling Eruption) in the starting deck which also gain you the most Exp when used efficiently. So those you most likely want to keep inside. But you also want to keep some of your Attacks without lost effect (Mana Bolt, Frost Armor, Flame Strike) or else you will burn through your deck really quick. Crackling Air is also extremely nice to increase your damage output alot as long as you got some way to enhance air (the Brute is a good partner for that).

To make it short, I find it extremely tough to chose cards for this class. On level two I got myself Icy Blast and I do already consider to switch that out for one of the starting cards for the next scenario.

Does anyone else feel the same? Does it get easyer with the higher level cards (even though you will have even greater choice then)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Z
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

no it just gets harder to take your 8 Cards.

But the good thing is, that some cards are synergizing awesome togehter, so the you need to cut good cards for better harmony. (imo)

I also change the cards due to the lvl size = more powerful small lvl , consisten cards - big map.

Stefan^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Q
msg tools
I'm playing through a spellweaver at the moment, currently level 6.

For new cards it typically comes down to a choice between a card that is always lost if played for top OR bottom or one that is not.

The former are clearly more powerful cards but your deck can get thin real fast.

I've found that the cards that you take out to make room are the more 'basic' attack cards. Putting in cards that are lost-when-played in their place makes your deck more fragile. For shorter maps that's great because you can power through but if you need a more sustain deck these cards can be a liability.

Also the lvl 2+ cards aren't amazing. They add utility and variation but very few of them, if any, are clearly superior to the lvl 1 cards. I can see scenarios where you would be quite happy to take a deck which is mainly comprised of lvl 1 cards. I've settled on 2 lvl 1 cards that I will swap for something else every scenario, after that it's really tough.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, it is hard to choose with the Spellweaver. I just hit level 3 and I am already overwhelmed with the choices becuase the deck spots are so tight.

Cards I usually take out in favor of others:

Freezing Nova - I try to stay away from enemies and barely find myself in a position where I want to be adjacent to them, so this is too situational for my taste. I am also ok with passing on the one time heal because I usually bring Aid from the Ether. Of course if you try a kind of tanky-build this card could get more interesting.

Ride the Wind - I only take it with me in scenarios where I presume that there will be a lot of ground to cover. I have a Brute with me to create wind for Crackling Air.

Flame Strike
- I recently put this on the list of exchangeable cards. It is nice, but I often have the feeling I can spare it.

And no, I don't think it gets easier on the higher levels. There are so many choices but you can't really say that one card completely exchanges another. Not up to levee three at least.
I think the Spellweaver is excellently designed and can be played in very different ways. Pure support with healing and shielding allies, pet master and tank, AoE ranged damage dealer, or a hybrid from all those three? Hard choice.
So i can't give you any definite answers here, just some thoughts and impressions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John S
msg tools
I find Ride the wind to be auto include due to the gap close.

Usually t1 Frost armor to grab aggro with some attack spell into
t2 Ride the Wind + open door into Freezing Nova followed up with Cloak of invisibility. Then the following turn you can freezing nova again and move away from immobolized enemies setting up for an ally's AOE attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kameron
msg tools
It is so strange - I never use frost armour at all. I go with:

1. Ether
2. Crackling Air
3. Ride the wind
4-6. Big lost AOE spells (note I have a level 2 card there)
7-8. A couple of non-lost cards with basic attacks, move and heal (or a summon if playing on a small map)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Eggers
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
And from an ivory tower hears her call, "Let the light surround you"
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the best feeling deck I've used so far.

Reviving Ether
Fire Orbs
Impaling Eruption
Frost Fire
Cold Darkness
Flamestrike
Split Beam
Ride the Wind

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is some need to choose your deck based on the scenario. Mike Qs response (third reply on this thread) eludes to a need to assess which dungeons will require the use of one time spells (read as two time spells with Reviving Ether) and which ones may require a long sustained dungeun using renewable spells. For sustained spells Reviving Ether is still very valuable as it basically means you have one of the best staminas in the game (effectively 15).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.