Champions of Midgard» Forums » General

Subject: Can't choose between this and the North sea Trilogy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
THIAGO LOPES
United States
US Armed Forces - Europe
flag msg tools
I watched the tabletop video of this game and found it awesome. But I see Raiders of the North Sea coming up everytime someone talks about this viking theme.

Which one is the best? Raiders seem to be more complex, or at least "euro-er".

The mechanic of traveling I found best represented on Champions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Strubczewski
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love both games. Champions gives a good blend of euro and amerithrash. Raiders is almost all euro but their is some luck and take that elements.

Champions is best for lighter gamers and creates stories. It is more interactive in that sense. I also use Champions to introduce new gamers to the hobby.

Raiders gives me the feel of constructing a raiding crew that is missing from Champions. I'm more attached to my raiders. The dice in Champions are meant to die over and over.

So you have to ask yourself what you're looking for in your game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Magallanes
msg tools
Look into getting CoM with the expansions, if you go that route. Kickstarter has an all in one deal where you even get a custom insert box that fits everything!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Lavender
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
Klaatu barada nikto.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What an odd comparison. Sans theme, I would say these two games are completely different.

Your comments make me think you favor euro games (could have misread your intent) and if that's the case, CoM is a dice-chucking, luck-fest that you will likely despise.

If the theme is key, however, CoM brings the Viking theme to the fore and does so with flair. It's just fun. There is strategy but bad dice rolls can derail the best of plans in CoM. So it goes when you risk all for glory or Vahalah. CoM is also a much easier game to grasp than NST, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THIAGO LOPES
United States
US Armed Forces - Europe
flag msg tools
In fact, I'm more of a dice chuckler myself. I felt that the atmosphere of danger and adventure in CoM showed trough the phase where players travel by sea. Sea traveling should pose some risk, after all.

Maybe I would find Raiders a little too dry...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Hassgård
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmb
CoM is a really exciting game with al the monsters and the sea journeys (+land with dark mountains) that you actually have to prepare for (the food, boat and if possible visit the seer and have a peak at what will happen on the journey, maybe a rune for extra safety). You can play safely with re-rolls and lots of food/warriors. But you can also gamble with less and win. If you pick up the valhalla expansion it seems like the failed gambles won't hurt as much either since you get to re-use the dead warriors in valhalla!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Burnage
Finland
flag msg tools
I had this same situation happen to me. I would agree with the points above. I went for CoM so won't comment about Raiders. When this beast arrived though I had two games with my group. I lost both but loved the laughs. It's a game where winning is really second. I loved building up dice and chucking them at trolls/monsters etc. The expansions seem to be making the game less lucky too with the element that if you lose a ton of dice you can gain favors (help effects) or kill high point monsters in valhalla. My wife hates games and I was amazed when she said she actually enjoyed this game!

BUY IT!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.