Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm running an elective this quarter for my students that I'm calling "Ancient Appendices." The class is non-credit, more of a after school type of program which just happens to be run during school hours. I am teaching about the ancient world this quarter, and so I wanted to run a parallel class that lets me use pop culture material about the ancient world that doesn't pass the threshold of being academically worthy (either due to content or practical time-wise), but which would still illuminate and highlight a lot of the details about the ancient world that we communicate on a pop-culture level.

I've been hunting around for movies, but that has been challenging. There are movies like:

Gladiator
Alexander
Troy
Rome (HBO series)

All of which are great for the elective, save for the mature content. Maybe I can rip some of these to the hard drive and edit them down to a PG-13 status, but time is always the enemy for me as a teacher, thus...

Are there PG-13 movies which rise to the production values of the above, but I can just use without fussing with them?

Then you've got the old-school movies:

I Claudius
Spartacus
Ben Hur
Cleopatra
The Ten Commandments

...and so on. Tame content, but slow and ponderous. I can watch them, but I have serious doubts my students could handle them. Again, I could rip and edit, but that is a last resort for me.

Then we have modern, but "blah" movies:

Gods of Egypt
Clash/Wrath of the Titans

These seem to be too devoid of anything with an "ancient" tone. If I'm going to go there I'd much rather play the original Clash of the Titans from 1981.

Is there something I'm missing? The ideal would be a 90 minute with modernish pacing, and evoking the ancient world either historically or mythically without being bludgeoned with CGI nonsense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Percy Jackson?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Film version of Shakespeare's Julius Caesar?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
...and the Eye of Sauron the Terrible few could endure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Spartacus: Blood and Sand ?

Could teach them more than history so to say. whistle

I think it's hard to find anything modern below 15 years recommendation unfortunately. We want T&A nowadays.

I did find a cool list of ancient movies per region here: http://sourcebooks.fordham.edu/ancient/asbookmovies.asp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best possible option comes to mind is that there was an episode of the new Doctor Who set in Pompeii and another one last year that was Viking related. However, once the stories start getting into the alien content, you're probably starting to drift away from the culture/mythology you are trying to illustrate. I don't know if your students are amicable to sci-fi or not either. Stargate (the movie, not the TV series) could have similar problems and might runs into the "mature" issue you've mentioned. You've also got the first Marvel Thor movie, most of which is set in Asgard, but I don't know how well the comic book lore really matches up with actual lore.

The BBC had a show a few years ago called Atlantis where Jason, Hercules, and Pythagoras were a team of heroes. The stories were based on a lot of Greek mythology, but the writing was below average. While it was somewhat action oriented, I don't know if it would hold modern teenagers' attention spans or not. I couldn't recommend a specific episode for you to show. Similarly, there was the Hercules TV show from the late 90s. I didn't watch it myself but I'm sure you can find an avid fan somewhere who can recommend a good episode or two for a class.

The other angle might be to come from an archaeological persepective. You have Indy Jones, the two Tomb Raider movies, and The Mummy. (I'm guessing the Brenden Frasier version wouldn't have mature issues, but I've not personally seen it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason and the Argonauts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 300 Spartans is pretty good (and it's old school tame). You'd probably want to fast-forward through a lot of the set up and romance aspects just for time, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Eagle might hit the right spot. It's based on a rosemary Sutcliffe novel which could also be a discussion point.

There's agora as well but from memory it might require editing depending on the kids you've got.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just remembered there was a kind of updated I Claudius about Augustus with peter o'Toole in it. Soapy feel but a bit less ponderous and a bit more flashy without the adult parts of Rome. Could be worth checking out, I only watched about half an hour of it a few years ago.

If you were going really to the pop culture side of things, you could look at the asterix movies too. There's English dubs if subtitles aren't an option.

There was a Pompeii movie a couple of years ago wasn't there? Probably another great one to talk about pop history. I've talked to some of those skeleton experts who are horrified by the assumptions we make about the Pompeii bodies/skeletons, ,eg, this one was a thief because he had a bag of money and bad teeth etc. basically every Pompeii movie is an extended version of reaffirming modern ideas about the ancient world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
A lot of the early original series were "pure historicals," without any Sci Fi elements except the time travelers themselves, which would probably fit your plan, but might not hold interest.

I thought of that as well. The Aztecs & Pyrmaids of Mars are both great episodes that fit the bill perfectly, but neither of them would hold up to modern standards of story pacing. I don't know that modern teens would find them interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm free-basing midichloriens and the force is, like, an energy that connects and penetrates us all, man.
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My teen-age sons can barely sit still long enough to watch a sitcom, so most movies are right out; but they will watch 15 minute youtube videos one after the other, all day.

Lindybeige (on youtube) does a good job of doing history topics (like 'how realistic was Troy', for example); though it's mostly him talking, he's a good speaker and he throws in an occasional graphic. And it's only a few minutes long. There's a ton of his videos, so you can probably find something related to your topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dreadpirate wrote:
Lindybeige (on youtube) does a good job of doing history topics (like 'how realistic was Troy', for example); though it's mostly him talking, he's a good speaker and he throws in an occasional graphic. And it's only a few minutes long. There's a ton of his videos, so you can probably find something related to your topic.

Good idea! I used some of his videos when I did an RPG elective and the students incorporated his ideas into their play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can go more ancient than that:
One Million BC
Clan of the Cave Bear
Quest For Fire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
It may depend on the age of the students but some movies from the Asterix series could work. There are the older animated ones and the newer live action. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Asterix_films Some of the animated ones are quite funny; I have not seen the live action movies yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Then you have 'macabre' with that "Masada" about the Roman siege for this place. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apocalypto
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
odie73 wrote:
It may depend on the age of the students but some movies from the Asterix series could work. There are the older animated ones and the newer live action. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Asterix_films Some of the animated ones are quite funny; I have not seen the live action movies yet.

The live action ones captured the tone a bit better (although it's been many years since I saw the animated ones). They're worth checking out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew T
msg tools
mbmbmb
10,000 BC
Beowulf
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
Hercules
History of the World: Part I
Jason and the Argonauts
The Mummy
The Odyssey
The Scorpion King
Stargate
Year One

and of course: Prometheus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
titanticore wrote:
10,000 BC

Was going to suggest just this movie because it would be fun to have everyone jot down a list of issues!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caveman (Zug-Zug!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mb
A Funny Thing Happened On the Way to the Forum is a great suggestion! I loved that movie!

Is the original Clash of the Titans too crazy for kids? I can't remember it exactly, but I do recall watching my VHS taped-off-TV copy until the tape fell apart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a good Roman movie with great classical actors in it, O'Toole, Gielgud, Helen Mirren, Malcolm McDowell:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080491/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
There's a good Roman movie with great classical actors in it, O'Toole, Gielgud, Helen Mirren, Malcolm McDowell:

THAT would get their attention!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Sexby
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:

You, sir, are a very, very bad man.laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.