Popular Tags: [View All]
J. Mowery
United States
Hermitage
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think there is a dominant strategy in this game? If you leave one climber at base camp and take the other climber to the summit as fast as you can, then bring that climber down to a safe spot, then bring your second climber as high as you can get him before the end of the game....it seems that this strategy might be very hard to beat.

I'm curious about the strategy that wins most in your games.

Thoughts?

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This caught my attention from the SGOYT forums and is on my radar and I've only recently found interest in this game... I've added it to my trade lists in the hopes that someday I'll have something else resulting in a comparable trade.

I was wondering how much strategy there is in the game and how much it is hand manipulation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmmowery wrote:
Do you think there is a dominant strategy in this game? If you leave one climber at base camp and take the other climber to the summit as fast as you can, then bring that climber down to a safe spot, then bring your second climber as high as you can get him before the end of the game....it seems that this strategy might be very hard to beat.

I'm curious about the strategy that wins most in your games.

I find that indeed you typically want to move one climber up faster than the other, but leaving the other literally at base camp until the first reaches the summit sounds like a losing strategy to me. You should sometimes advance your lower climber too, guided by tactical considerations like not wanting to advance your higher climber into a zone where bad weather is about to hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bunyan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmmowery wrote:

That seems to work for me on the easy board with summer weather and makes 20 points achievable in most games, with lower player counts at least. Risk tokens, or an exceptionally unhelpful card draw can cause some variation on this.

I don't think it's so quite clear-cut on the harder board or with winter weather as acclimatisation becomes more important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a good strategy, but by no menas a game breaker. The harder board is more demanding and makes the "single climber" strategy trickier to pull off (assuming your opponents know what they are doing). Very often in our games the winner never reaches the summit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.