Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Ellis
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
mbmb
So, here is the twin brother for my elemental shapeshifter girl (Natureza)

Tiago de Mattos, Codename: Beastmaster . Powerset - Genetic, Animal Summoner.

Beastmaster
28 HP

Ties that Bind
Power: Draw 2 cards, you may play an Animal now.

Animal, Ally (5)

Royal Hawk (4 HP)
Power: Reveal the Top Two Cards of a Deck, put one card into play or into the discards, place the other card at the top of its deck. Destroy this card.
You may draw an extra card during your draw phase, if you do discard a card.

Giant Otter (4 HP)
The first time each turn a hero target would be dealt damage by the environment, prevent that damage.
Power: One hero may play a card now, destroy this card.

Bushmaster
(3 HP)
At the start of your turn reveal the top card of the environment deck and then replace it.
Power: Beastmaster deals 1 Target 3 Toxic Damage, increase all damage dealt to that Target by 1 until the start of your next turn. Destroy this card.

Ocelot (5 HP)
Power: Reduce the next damage dealt to a Hero target by 2. Destroy this card.
At the end of your turn Beastmaster deals 1 Target 2 Melee Damage.

Grison (4 HP)
Power: Beastmaster deals up to 4 Targets 2 Melee Damage Each. Destroy this card.
At the end of your turn you may discard a card, if you do, one Hero may use a power now.

Equipment, Icon (5)

Eagle Pendant (1)
When this card enters play 2 players may draw a card.
Reduce damage dealt to Animals by 1.
At the end of your turn if Royal Hawk is in your discards, put it into play.
If another Icon enters play, return this card to your hand.

Otter Talisman (1)
When this card enters play reveal the top card of a deck, either discard it, or put it into play.
During your power phase you may use an additional power.
At the end of your turn if Giant Otter is in your discards, put it into play.

Snake Ring (1)
When this card enters play reveal the top card of the environment deck, and then place it on the top or bottom of its deck.
Whenever Beastmaster deals damage, he deals that target 1 Toxic Damage as well.
At the end of your turn if Bushmaster is in your discards, put it into play.

Feline Bracelet
(1)
When this card enters play you may destroy 1 ongoing card.
The first time Beastmaster is dealt damage each turn, you may redirect it to an Animal in play.
At the end of your turn if Ocelot is in your discards, put it into play.

Wolverine Armband
(1)
When this card enters play, Beastmaster deals 1 Target 1 Melee Damage.
Increase Damage Dealt by Beastmaster by 1
At the end of your turn if Grison is in your discards, put it into play.

Ongoing, Limited (12)

Healing Touch (3)
At the end of your turn each Animal in play regains 1 HP.

Blend In
(3)
Reduce damage dealt to Animals by X, where X is the number of Environment Cards in play. At the start of your turn destroy this card.

Sweet Vengeance
(3)
Whenever an Animal is destroyed, you may destroy an ongoing or environment card.

One Final Gift (1)
When an Animal is destroyed 1 player may draw a card.
One Final Gift (1)
When an Animal is destroyed 1 player may play a card.
One Final Gift (1)
When an Animal is destroyed 1 player may use a power.

One-Shot (18)

Bestial Allies (4)
Search your deck or trash for an Animal, put it into play, shuffle your deck now.

Icons of Nature
(3)
Search your deck or trash for an Icon, put it into your hand, if you searched your deck, shuffle it. You may play a card now.

Strength in Numbers (3)
Beastmaster deals 1 Target X Melee damage where X is the number of Animals in play plus 1.

Unrelenting Assault
(3)
Beastmaster deals X targets 3 Melee Damage, where X is the number of Animals in your discards.

Unexpected Assistance
(3)
Beastmaster deals 1 Target 1 Melee Damage, discard X cards from the corresponding deck, where X is the number of Animals in play.

Heroic Sacrifice (2)
Destroy an Animal in play, if you do, one Hero may use a power now. You may play a card now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexa Elvrayen

California
msg tools
My biggest complaint about this guy is his powers. Using the power on any animal destroys it, which you don't want to do since you get benefits for having them in play (on the animals and his one shots). So the only real power in the entire deck is his basic power - which... only matters if you draw one of 5 specific cards in the entire deck. So his power is basically just drawing and nothing else approximately 7/8 of the time.

Curious that the icons all destroy each other, when they're all different pieces of jewelry that don't conflict and they don't really have overlapping effects, other than the trash dig.

The Otter Talisman is practically useless unless you have the otter in play and can bring it back immediately. Honestly, I think the icons should prevent the destruction of the animals from power use.

Snake Ring should be "Beastmaster also deals that target 1 toxic damage."

On every icon, "Discards" needs to be replace with "trash." Discards do not exist beyond the effect "Discard."

Healing Touch is nice, but most of the time if an animal is taking damage it'll be destroyed (or it'll be destroyed next turn and 1 HP won't make a difference).

Bestial Allies should probably be able to search the trash. If all 5 animals are destroyed it's a useless card, and it'll be almost impossible to get them back (since the icons destroy each other).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ellis
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
mbmb
So what if I removed the icon destruction and swapped the card destroy on animals for return to your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I really like that Icons destroy each other. It kind of means he has five different "modes": One for each animal.

I suggest changing "Blend In" so that X is the number of environments in play, rather than environments -1. It's simpler, and for a one-turn Ongoing, the power different shouldn't be a balance issue.

One Final Gift works really nicely with the Icon/Animal cycle.

I suggest you allow Bestial Allies to search trash as well, since often someone's favorite Animal is going to be in the trash. Alternately, maybe make it reveal until one comes out? That way you never know what you get.

Eagle Pendant references Royal Eagle, and I think you mean Royal Hawk.

Seems like the strategies for the animals:
Hawk/Eagle: Card cycle, protect animals.
Otter: Protect from environment, boost other heroes, extra powers.
Bushmaster: View environment, deal damage.
Ocelot: Protect heroes. Deal damage.
Grison: Mass damage, boost powers.

Not sure all those are equal! If Ocelot and Grison are strictly better than Otter and Bushmaster (which it seems like maybe they are), maybe boost the others? I kind of figure an ideal array of powers is one where different circumstances will make a different Animal/Icon ideal, and switching between them is good.

Suggestion: Give some benefit when an Icon is replaced, to reward cycling between them.

Overall, this looks really fun, with a good balance of buffs and a really cool dynamic. I'd love to see it in playtest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ellis
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
mbmb
so, I tweaked the wording on icons and added "when this card enters play" to juice their purpose.

Ideally you want several animals out, and then use the power on the one you have the icon for active so that it will return at the end of your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I like the updates!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.