Popular Tags: [View All]
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
Recently acquired and played this so now in a position to leave my review.
Full metal planete is a game in which players each represent a mining company arriving at a planet in order to mine a rare commodity to the best of their ability in the given number of turns on a planet where the tides change the way in which certain pieces can move.
Each turn a card is turned over that can render certain units stranded for example.
You have to think ahead.

Gameplay wise it is a little like a pretty chess and capturing or destroying opponents pieces is simply a case of out manuevering your opponents.

To be honest I have been after this game for many years drawn in by the rarity of it which I feel has raised its standing and score higher than it deserves.

The contents are pretty standards in the basic game and the castings of the various units are in my opinion pretty ugly.

As a game player I feel for the kind of price this game commands merely by being rare it is disappointing and there are far superior games for a fraction of the price.

Well I have it now but it won't hit the table much.

I find it pretty dull.
A game for collectors that in my opinion is not deserving of its rating I would say at best 6.5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Sbirakos
Australia
Canberra, ACT
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gary,

Thanks for the review. I take it by the amount you've written concerning the game, reflects on that dullness? Actually, I've been after this for many years as well and probably now shouldn't bother.

I was interested in your comment about "far superior games" and I'm wondering if you might be able to make a mention which ones you might be thinking about? Would those games be similar in terms of mechanics and/or theme and/or combat etc?

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
My 2 cts:

Maybe there's a recent & superior game with similar mechanics & feel, but I don't know any (I'm very interested in recommendations). That's one of the reasons why FMP is still in my collection.

Basically FMP is an abstract game with an SF theme. If you don't like abstracts, counting points, and SF, well...

While still great IMO, there are some points where the design shows its age:
- overall game length (3mn/turn x 25turns max x Number of players). At 4 players it's pretty long compared to modern standards.
- early player elimination possible. You can't be easily wiped out, but it's definitely possible.
- abstract/zero luck means experienced players will have a definite advantage. This is balanced to some extent with the recommended adaptation of turn limit (i.e. beginners have more time). However you can't beat Kasparov at chess even if you have 20 minutes to play each turn and he has 5 seconds.
- the minis were gorgeous at the time, but it was 25+ years ago (it's like comparing Heroquest minis to Conan minis).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Thorne
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
I also got this recently and played it once so far.
I am personally interested in low luck strategy boardgames, where you have to maneuver different units over a map and for this it fits.

It is kind of a chesslike game with a theme and a bit dull yes.
But sometimes I like games where I can sit down on a sunday afternoon and play 2 hours without too many things to keep track of. Here I just have my 15 action points and spend them on any unit I want. Combat rules are pretty simple except the capturing mechanic. But yeah you definately can't not notice the age of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laoakai wrote:
I also got this recently and played it once so far.
I am personally interested in low luck strategy boardgames, where you have to maneuver different units over a map and for this it fits.

It is kind of a chesslike game with a theme and a bit dull yes.
But sometimes I like games where I can sit down on a sunday afternoon and play 2 hours without too many things to keep track of. Here I just have my 15 action points and spend them on any unit I want. Combat rules are pretty simple except the capturing mechanic. But yeah you definately can't not notice the age of the game.
TwoGeneralsGames.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.