Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deefer wrote:
I couldn't find the answer to this anywhere:

how many points do you typically start with
a) in a casual game
b) tournament

Zero in both cases. You can start with any number if you don't want to deal with negative totals.

While the target score is 25 points, 480 is possible. So triple that for 1440... 2000 points seems like a number safe enough for nearly any game to remain positive for all players.

It's a tradeoff, right? Start with 0 and you typically deal with small numbers; or start with 5000 and never have to deal with negatives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Gaamessz... need more Gaammesz...
mbmbmbmbmb
ah ok. I'm not worried about negatives per se, and it's perfectly fine to handle it that way...

I guess I was assuming play with point sticks/chips.

I'm new to mahjong, and learning Riichi style but I'd like to introduce to more friends and perhaps family. Zung Jung seemed the best way to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zung Jung is the only Mahjong rule set you need, so that's a good choice.

I much prefer scoring points with pen and paper. Riichi is a gambling game at heart, so there it's obvious to start with points you can pay to other players, but if you're just counting score and not gambling, pen and paper will do just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the tournament, there is an effective starting points of 250 for cash prize rounds. The scores are recorded starting from zero, but if one goes below -250, he gets zero prize money for the round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.