Subject: Custom painted Orc Minions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the completed orc minions. It's an excellent rebuttal to the complaints about miniature quality:

Some of the orcs were missing noses, so I clayed in my own. I added larger noses for variety:

And here's the figures from all 4 sides:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keith dufresne
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Hahaha - well done! Love those noses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Holley
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
51% DELICIOUS!
mbmbmbmbmb
They look great! But I think it says a lot more about your painting and sculpting ability than it does about the quality of the miniatures...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the compliment. It was an interesting challenge painting these figures so they were the best they could be. If I wanted to take it even further, I could replace some of the crooked or wobbly weapons with clay and wood to make them perfectly straight and uniform.

Companies have different cost structures and print run sizes, and those are some of the biggest factors determining why company A's sculpts look so much better than Company B's even though the final retail price for both games might be the same. No amount of complaining on my end can change this, so I try to work with what I have and save my complaints for when there's a real lack of effort/commitment.

One of the nice things about today's hobby is there are a lot of good options for substituting miniatures; even if you end up paying more for the substitutions than what you paid for the entire game. There aren't as many good alternatives available if the game's rulebook, cards, or game board are terrible. You wind out having to reprint the game as a DIY project.

Hopefully, I've convinced some other DOTR painters out there that the existing minion expansion sculpts - which are the cheapest option out there - are worthwhile using. That will save them from having to buy 100+ additional figures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic job. I only have the base set, so was hoping for a way to make those cloaked guys look good!

I *really* like how the orcs have their individuality. Bring the game to a convention!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.