Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
44 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Those who complain about how other people rate games- please read this. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
^...^ ALIEN ^...^
United States
Mcqueeney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG Policy:

Every registered user can rate any game in the BGG database
. To do this, find the game and go to that game's Main Page; this is most easily done using the Search option near the top of every page. In the topmost section is a series of stars labeled "My Rating", which you can click on to set your rating on a scale from 1 to 10 (once set, you can click on edit to use decimals). Although these ratings are entirely subjective, here are the suggested guidelines:

10 - Outstanding - will always enjoy playing.
9 - Excellent - very much enjoy playing.
8 - Very good - enjoy playing and would suggest it.
7 - Good - usually willing to play.
6 - Ok - will play if in the mood.
5 - Mediocre - take it or leave it.
4 - Not so good - but could play again.
3 - Bad - likely won't play this again.
2 - Very bad - won't play ever again.
1 - Awful - defies game description.


Emphasis mine...

If you don't like how other people rate games, then stop looking at how other people rate games. Or at least stop making new post about it...

Oh nevermind, do what you want...rant over.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries. I don't put much stock in what people rate games. When there are a large number of ratings and the average is greater than 7, the game is generally good. Under 7 will boil down to specific tastes (to me).

The only time I have been unhappy about a rating is from this one particular user that has taken the time to give a "1" to over 7200 games, with no comments. I am not sure why. I wish I had that kind of free time. I only noticed it because it was on one of my game designs and I only had 3 ratings at the time. It affected the overall rating dramatically. No biggie, it is what it is. I did not bring it up to anyone.

Strangely enough, it looks like that user rating disappeared from the list of ratings.
10 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The obvious reply is for you to stop looking at posts that bug you.

I disagree with your position, which seems to be: People shouldn't post stuff about ratings because ratings can be whatever people want them to be. Ok, yeah, ratings can, but why can't people who are bugged by that fact post about it? How does that posting bother you. Just don't read it.

I'm a little bugged that not everyone rates games in a way I find reasonable (meaning, like me) but that's life. I've complained about it in the past. Some people agreed with me, some disagreed, life went on.

It's what we do here on BGG, we post stuff about games and game associated things.
28 
 Thumb up
5.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lesco
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure I have said this before but when someone takes a minute to add a comment it means much more to me than a rating, interesting though they may be. I want to know why you hold a game in low esteem because it may be something I can deal with.
6 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Russell
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
people complain about how people rate games. You complain about the people who complain. I say people are entitled to their opinion.

And so the world turns...
5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rlesco wrote:
I am sure I have said this before but when someone takes a minute to add a comment it means much more to me than a rating, interesting though they may be. I want to know why you hold a game in low esteem because it may be something I can deal with.

Ummm. You don't seem to comment on your games. Almost the only comments you have seem to be notes to yourself ("My version has helpful play aids created by the previous owner."). If you want comments, shouldn't you offer comments?
11 
 Thumb up
0.30
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rlesco wrote:
I am sure I have said this before but when someone takes a minute to add a comment it means much more to me than a rating, interesting though they may be. I want to know why you hold a game in low esteem because it may be something I can deal with.


Yep. Ignore the ratings, read the Personal Comments. Sometimes more useful than the reviews!
6 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I only complained when someone rated over 3000 in one day, all 1's from some games not even released yet. That is when it gets stupid.
11 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The ratings and comments I make on games are there to help other people because I already know if I like them or not. With this in mind how other people feel about ratings matter a lot because it has to be a system that is easily understood by a majority. I don't do enough ratings but in my defence I don't have many games.
2 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
I only complained when someone rated over 3000 in one day, all 1's from some games not even released yet. That is when it gets stupid.



This.

People can do what they want.


But the complaints have been about several users ratings thousands and thousands of games 1's in a few days. That is obviously an exploit of some sort.
5 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I + I = 0
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was hilarious. They even commented on "Admin Test Item" and "Admin Test Item 2"
5 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Clegg
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Assume others rant for the same reason you do and afford them the same luxury. They are equally productive.
3 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
^...^ ALIEN ^...^
United States
Mcqueeney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
The obvious reply is for you to stop looking at posts that bug you.

I disagree with your position, which seems to be: People shouldn't post stuff about ratings because ratings can be whatever people want them to be. Ok, yeah, ratings can, but why can't people who are bugged by that fact post about it? How does that posting bother you. Just don't read it.

I'm a little bugged that not everyone rates games in a way I find reasonable (meaning, like me) but that's life. I've complained about it in the past. Some people agreed with me, some disagreed, life went on.

It's what we do here on BGG, we post stuff about games and game associated things.


I don't really have a position... don't really care what people do. I thought I'd just complain about other people's complaints, because you know, it's what we do here on the geek. Maybe someone will start a thread complaining about my complaining...




4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Seththedog wrote:

Emphasis mine...

I'm not sure what your point is.
4 
 Thumb up
1.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people use the rating as a personal wishlist identifier because it shows up very easily in colors. But to say ratings don't affect people's choices is a diservice to those who rate fairly on the bgg scale. Pandemic Legacy is number 1 because enough people rated it on the bgg scale, to weed out those who don't. Publishers of low count production have less ratings to weed out bad ones, thus, people just looking at the bgg rating will only see the rating including the oddball ones. It could hurt the chance of the game being sold, such as the Gamecrafter games.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Re: Those who complain about how other people rate games- please EABOD.
How about relegating these unto their "Complaint" department here, where those shall D-I-E-! the deserving DEATH they deserve deservedly! In the `Nam they had their insipid "Fucking New Guy" while this isn't there, and JUST as in 'Bowling' has RULES! Abide 'Dudes' or 'bid adieu'... whistle
3 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
^...^ ALIEN ^...^
United States
Mcqueeney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
How about relegating these unto their "Complaint" department here, where those shall D-I-E-! the deserving DEATH they deserve deservedly! In the `Nam they had their insipid "Fucking New Guy" while this isn't there, and JUST as in 'Bowling' has RULES! Abide 'Dudes' or 'bid adieu'... whistle


Your post are less confusing everyday. Either you're not trying hard enough, or I am starting to understand you!?! surprise
5 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
^...^ ALIEN ^...^
United States
Mcqueeney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If an Admin wants to move this to the Complaints Department, please do. Probably where I should of put it in the first place.

Cheers!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paradox Games
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that only a small representative sample of BGG users even rate games, and ratings are not by professional critics, but from enthusiasts with wildly different tastes and backgrounds and they bring that to their ratings. Add in a sprinkling of jokers and very passionate people that drive ratings down with 1s everywhere.

Also remember that a game's quality isn't based on the rating; it's just the average opinion of our diverse group's experiences.

In summary, reading reviews is good to see what other gamers like us think, but we shouldn't take the low rating of a cherished game personally.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seththedog wrote:
If you don't like how other people rate games, then stop looking at how other people rate games. Or at least stop making new post about it...

Perhaps I am able to share your frustration, but we must consider also that the same policy which you quote about allowing any user to rate any game in any manner that individual desires ... also effectively applies to allowing them all to make any post about the rating system.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Posthumous Jones
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If folk are complaining about how others rate games, presumably they own the game(s) in question. What, exactly, is the point of bitching about a process they no longer need?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorath wrote:
The ratings and comments I make on games are there to help other people because I already know if I like them or not.


The ratings and comments I make on games are a mixture of hyperbole and spite. I'm everything that's wrong with the rating system.
8 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Seththedog wrote:
If an Admin wants to move this to the Complaints Department, please do. Probably where I should of put it in the first place.

Cheers!
THE "FNG"G-ones here should have theirs "round-file tossed" and this could go into "New Users Questions" because you just KNOW that they'll ASK again since they couldn't FIND THIS yet at all? shake
3 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like I rate the games that's best for me and look at the rating system here on BGG as more of a guide rather than hard facts.

It works for me....
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Lanza
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmb

Thought I would fix this for you

10 - Outstanding - I just pledged this game on Kickstarter but I have yet to ever receive it but it is the bestist ever because I just paid monies and I am spreading the hype
9 - Excellent - I just pledged this game on Kickstarter and I am on the hype train. I believe it will be the bestist ever but I am hedging my bet
8 - Very good - someone who may have actually played and read the rules
7 - Good - someone who played once and felt the need to score it right away before a second game
6 - Ok - Meh, because I have to choose between 1 and 10 and this is a nice middle in case I change my mind later.
5 - Mediocre - My friends will not let me win so I am PO'd at them and this is how I am venting
4 - Not so good - I have no idea what I was buying on Kickstarter and was fooled by the hype train
3 - Bad - my gf hates this game, so this score is for her
2 - Very bad - Screw you guys, I am taking my board and going home
1 - Awful - Someone on the forum called me out on something, this is my revenge


:-)
28 
 Thumb up
1.53
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.