Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Lees
United States
Franklin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were to play a 4 player (or lower count) game, would I need to reduce the number of dice to the numbers that were in the base game, before I added Apprentice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schreiber
United States
Waynesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Tolerance for ambiguity is the first step in maturity.
mbmbmbmbmb
Theoretically, yes. You would remove 8 metal, 5 wood, 3 gem, and 2 magic as the following is stated in the original rules:

Base Game Rules wrote:
All resources in the game are finite. For example, if you choose a card that would gain you a metal die, but there are currently no metal dice in the stock; you will receive no metal die and cannot retroactively claim a metal die when one becomes available.

However,...

The Apprentices rules indicate that players have some leeway on this question:

Apprentices Rules wrote:
Note: these extra dice ... may be included in games with less than 5 players as well. If you prefer game economies where there is never a shortage of a particular type of resource, this is encouraged.

Honestly, we don't worry about it in an effort to just get into the game and keep the table display orderly. Of course, the play style of my group doesn't horde dice and people tend use the Docks often in the rush to craft items first. Plus, I play with my nephews who are both under 11. If I were playing with four serious gamers more often, it would be worth it for me to reset the dice.

Personally, I appreciate the incredible variability in King's Forge and this is just another knob you may adjust in your play style. "Adjust to play group is my recommendation."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Sibicky

Washington
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yes, Chris has pointed you to the "correct" answer; in "tournament" style settings we would recommend resetting your dice pool. However, in friendly games we would encourage you to keep the extra dice added in, unless your play group has their own preference.

Chris Schreiber wrote:
Theoretically, yes. You would remove 8 metal, 5 wood, 3 gem, and 2 magic as the following is stated in the original rules:

Base Game Rules wrote:
All resources in the game are finite. For example, if you choose a card that would gain you a metal die, but there are currently no metal dice in the stock; you will receive no metal die and cannot retroactively claim a metal die when one becomes available.

However,...

The Apprentices rules indicate that players have some leeway on this question:

Apprentices Rules wrote:
Note: these extra dice ... may be included in games with less than 5 players as well. If you prefer game economies where there is never a shortage of a particular type of resource, this is encouraged.

Honestly, we don't worry about it in an effort to just get into the game and keep the table display orderly. Of course, the play style of my group doesn't horde dice and people tend use the Docks often in the rush to craft items first. Plus, I play with my nephews who are both under 11. If I were playing with four serious gamers more often, it would be worth it for me to reset the dice.

Personally, I appreciate the incredible variability in King's Forge and this is just another knob you may adjust in your play style. "Adjust to play group is my recommendation."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.