• [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen any indication that it will be crowdfunded, and the other LotR games have not been, so I assume it will be straight to retail, but I don't have any inside knowledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
The greatest political storm flutters only a fringe of humanity. But an ordinary man and an ordinary woman and their ordinary children literally alter the destiny of nations. - GK Chesterton
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure straight to retail. Licensing costs are probably too high to also incur Kickstarter fees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir Christopher wrote:
Licensing costs are probably too high to also incur Kickstarter fees.

Huh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Lindley
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
flag msg tools
Lych Gate every 2nd Wednesday...
badge
Geek, before it was fashionable...
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Sir Christopher wrote:
Licensing costs are probably too high to also incur Kickstarter fees.

Huh?

My take on this would be that the margins are so slim with the expense of licensing the rights to the game, that any further fees, such as Kickstarter's take would make it not profitable (whilst keeping a chosen price point).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any reason to think that margins are lower on licensed games. If anything I would guess they are probably higher. They are allowed to consider the cost of the license when setting the price, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aro Bow
Canada
flag msg tools
I think the point is that since this is a LOTR game, it HAS to pay LOTR licensing. In addition to that, for it to be on kick-starter, it has to pay kick-starter fees. Double whammy.

You can't create a LOTR game without paying licensing fees. It's not like Kingdom Death Monster which is a unique idea owned by the developer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aro2220 wrote:
I think the point is that since this is a LOTR game, it HAS to pay LOTR licensing. In addition to that, for it to be on kick-starter, it has to pay kick-starter fees. Double whammy.

Or you could say that it generates a lot of demand from the LOTR license, and a lot more demand from Kickstarter. Double plus good. Demand translates into more sales and a higher price, which more than offsets those costs, at least that's the idea. If licenses didn't generate more benefit to the publisher then their cost, no one would make licensed games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would tend to agree that the license would diminish the margin, but would dispute that kickstarter has a lower (or even comparable) margin to retail. MSRP is set with a markup that is often four times the production cost. Selling a game direct to buyers (often only slightly reduced from MSRP) via kickstarter is much better margin-wise than traditional retail. It also allows the publisher to better gauge demand so a more suitable number of copies can be printed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JVKhoury wrote:
I would tend to agree that the license would diminish the margin...

It shouldn't though, as licensing fees should already be incorporated into any production costs before MSRP is decided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jyeackle wrote:
JVKhoury wrote:

It shouldn't though, as licensing fees should already be incorporated into any production costs before MSRP is decided.

Yes, you are correct. Not sure what I was thinking there. Licensing costs would raise the overall price of the game, so less bang per buck so to speak. But, if a kickstarter campaign takes off and is well-managed, you should get more bang for buck, so maybe that cancels out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Lindley
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
flag msg tools
Lych Gate every 2nd Wednesday...
badge
Geek, before it was fashionable...
mbmbmbmbmb
JVKhoury wrote:
jyeackle wrote:
JVKhoury wrote:

Yes, you are correct. Not sure what I was thinking there. Licensing costs would raise the overall price of the game, so less bang per buck so to speak. But, if a kickstarter campaign takes off and is well-managed, you should get more bang for buck, so maybe that cancels out?

Who cares, back to the actual topic - is it going to be on Kickstarter or straight to retail
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see this being on Kickstarter. Has Ares used it in the past ? They didn't for the WotR Anniversary edition, that was a straight prepub.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marty S wrote:
I don't see this being on Kickstarter. Has Ares used it in the past ? They didn't for the WotR Anniversary edition, that was a straight prepub.

They have for some titles (just checked, 8 in total, link below), but my guess is they use KS for items that might be a bit more risky to bring to market. This one uses a popular mechanic combined with a hot theme so I could easily see them skipping KS. I guess we'll find out!

https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/1402889231/created

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ramsey
Canada
North Delta
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little late to the party, but I'd also argue that if they're serious about a Summer release, there's really no time for a Kickstarter campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.