Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Denison
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is something that has been causing me some confusion as I play more and more 18XX games. So the issue I was having was this. We are playing a game of 18Mex for the first time. The national railway has 5% shares. Do these count for 1/2 stock value at the end of the game but still eat up a full certificate slot?

The reason I ask here is we played 1844 earlier this year and the big railroad there has 5% shares but seem to count for full stock value.

I also played 18CLE several times and in that game there are 1/2 shares that count for 1/2 value but take up a full certificate.

Anyway is there any convention on how these work or is it kind of a game by game thing?

Thanks for the help clearing this up for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a game by game thing. The designer tries one thing and then another to try to get the balance right, so that accumulating these shares is neither a clear winning strategy nor a clear losing one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter de Boer
Austria
Velden
Carinthia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eva01iastate wrote:
This is something that has been causing me some confusion as I play more and more 18XX games. So the issue I was having was this. We are playing a game of 18Mex for the first time. The national railway has 5% shares. Do these count for 1/2 stock value at the end of the game but still eat up a full certificate slot?

Partly correct. They count for 1/2 stock value, not just end of game, but also when selling/buying. Furthermore, they do not count towards your certificate limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
eva01iastate wrote:
Anyway is there any convention on how these work or is it kind of a game by game thing?

No, there are no strong conventions.

First, the relationship of certificates and shares in at best inconstant. Normally, for instance, a certificate is a bit of paper, and thus counts toward the certificate limit, but not always (such as the NdM's 5% shares which don't count), but then sometimes it does (such as the CGR's ~usually half shares counting only in pairs against the certificate limit).

Then there's also a wide spread of share sizes (as different from certificate sizes) with everything from 100% to 50%, 33 1/3%, 20%, 10%, 5%, 2%...and yes, 1%. (I threatened a game with 0.5% shares, but they fell out to 1% during development)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.