14 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: timing before a scenario rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
DAniel Schwe
msg tools
Hi,

i wuld like to know what you are allowed before a scenaria?

1) Are you allowed to see the map (big map, small map, etc..) before choosing the ability cards?
2) Am i allowed to study the monsters in the first room, before choosing ability cards?
3) Am i allowed to study the monsters in the other rooms? i mean, is this open information because i can see it in the scenaria. Or has the author intended that the players should NOT watch the other rooms when he makes the balance decision?
4) Is the money, crates and treasures placed when i enter a room, or are they placed at the start of the game?

We are a 4 player party, and we are thinking its a bit too easy the way we are playing, because we have so many information when seeing the map before the scenario. but maybe we are plaing it wrong. if not we will be playing on a harder difficulty.

Thx in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think this is really clear in the rule book. We try to avoid looking at specifics, and though some people choose to look at victory conditions before playing a scenario so they can adjust their hand/deck, we haven't been.

This makes our first go around to be pretty crisp, and if we fail, we have a better idea of what to do to better our odds. Basically we look at our first play through a scenario as "recon."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Choosing your hand is the last thing you do. You get to set up the first room and then choose battle goals and then choose your ability cards for your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dano Fish
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that it isnt explicitly addressed in the rule book. I prefer to play with more mystery. So all I look at before picking my starting hand is the completion requirement and the monster stat cards.

I collect the tiles, but dont actually look at their placement (Ive chosen to place tiles only after doors are opened). To do this I just use a few notepads to cover the page and carefully slide them as necessary to reveal only the text and the required monsters/tiles.

I take a quick look at the scenario monster cards and note their hit point values and any shield or special abilities-- but I never browse through their battle decks. This means that new monsters can completely surprise me, but as I encounter monsters repeatedly I learn their bag of tricks and can pick my starting hand more effectively. Also, if a scenario lists a lot of traps then I take that into account as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I collect everything as mentioned in the scenario. Sometimes I just setup the first room (this is the most fun). The rules, though, have you setup all of the map tiles plus the first room (this works fine too). You do *not* setup contents beyond the first room.

I interpret this to mean that the contents and layout of subsequent rooms should not be examined until you open the door to the room. The rules don't actually say this, but the implication seems clear from the fact that you don't put anything in them until you open the door.

Obviously you'll know some things from the stuff you get out at the beginning plus whatever you inevitably see while setting up.

Also, I don't read ahead in the scenario at all. The goal is stated up front - that's all I need to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wonder if this is intended to vary by group and that's why the rules don't specify. Otherwise an official FAQ answer would probably be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sundown
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
I wonder if this is intended to vary by group and that's why the rules don't specify. Otherwise an official FAQ answer would probably be nice.

Well, if people would actually bother to check the FAQ first, they would find the answer as the very first there listed under "scenario game play":

FAQ wrote:
What is the exact order of my choices at the beginning of a scenario in terms of battle goals, ability cards, and equipped items?
The first thing you should do when starting a scenario (after going through a Road Event when applicable), is look in the scenario book to get the map tiles set up, all the monsters you will be fighting prepared, and apply any negative scenario effects. Next, you should deal battle goals and choose one. After choosing your battle goals, then you can decided which items you would like to equip from the ones you own (adding in -1 cards to you attack modifier deck when applicable) and which ability cards you would like to start with from the pool of those you have available to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eyegleam wrote:

Well, if people would actually bother to check the FAQ first, they would find the answer as the very first there listed under "scenario game play":

I'm not sure the FAQ is extremly helpful there in regards to the specific question here. Yes, it states to set up the map and basically set aside the monsters the scenario lists, but the question is more about, what specifically are players allowed to "study" about the monsters and the layout. Can I check how many of the monsters in the upcoming rooms have e.g. shield abilities/immunities to certain conditions/etc.?

I personally always set up the first room including monsters and also find the ones I need later in the box and put them out, but I avoid looking at any stats that they have, unless I fought them before and already have experience what they can do and what not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what is "allowed" is up to the play group. Some may want as much hidden information as possible, while some may want to know a little more, and some may want to know everything.

The more information you have, the easier you can make it for yourself.

If there isn't anything in the rules explaining that you could or should look at the monster stat and ability cards prior to the scenario, then I suspect that it wasn't a suggested way of playing it.

Again, I think this game is so open ended in a sense, as to allow for each group to adjust the difficulty to suit them. I would think that aside from the scenario level adjustment, studying monster stat and ability cards would be another way to make it easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Thane
England
Brough
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Up the Tigers
mbmbmbmbmb
ovis wrote:

are players allowed to "study" about the monsters and the layout. Can I check how many of the monsters in the upcoming rooms have e.g. shield abilities/immunities to certain conditions/etc.?

Thematically speaking if your character has never fought such an enemy before then it seems wrong to me to be able to look at the abilities etc. of the enemies you are facing. Just like as the world evolves as you play and so should the characters knowledge as they encounter new threats.

(Next time you face them maybe you will remember that such and such has flying whilst the whatsits attack you fresh fruit and so you need to learn what to do in those circumstances.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U90dnUbZMmM&index=2&list=RDN...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in the end this is a case of preference vs. practicality.

I would like, similar to positions already mentioned, to only set up the first room and don't even know the rest.
However, due to necessity of storage and table space I get everything out in advance and just populate the first room. That gives me a decidedly closer look than I actually want, but I don't want to start rummaging in the boxes in between, besides the Scenario layout right now doesn't easily separate "first room" infos from the rest.
Nice would have been a room by room progress in information, however I understand how many extra pages that would cost.

Other point, in some scenarios you might/should actually bring knowledge about following rooms, based on secondary information.

Long story short, you use the compromise between thematic knowledge and playing ergonomics you prefer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Glasser
United States
California
flag msg tools
There's at least one battle goal that is impossible for some scenarios in a way that you can tell by looking at the first room. So whether or not battle goal choice happens before seeing the contents of the first room is pretty relevant for this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
Have you paid your dues, Jack?
badge
Yes sir, the check is in the mail.
mbmbmbmbmb
TootyBonture wrote:
I agree that it isnt explicitly addressed in the rule book. I prefer to play with more mystery. So all I look at before picking my starting hand is the completion requirement and the monster stat cards.

I collect the tiles, but dont actually look at their placement (Ive chosen to place tiles only after doors are opened). To do this I just use a few notepads to cover the page and carefully slide them as necessary to reveal only the text and the required monsters/tiles.

I take a quick look at the scenario monster cards and note their hit point values and any shield or special abilities-- but I never browse through their battle decks. This means that new monsters can completely surprise me, but as I encounter monsters repeatedly I learn their bag of tricks and can pick my starting hand more effectively. Also, if a scenario lists a lot of traps then I take that into account as well.

I think I'm going to start setting up like "TootyBonture" and only lay down tiles as doors open. I've already been covering the "currently unknown" parts of the dungeon in the book to avoid information that might affect my deck setup AND strategy when entering a new room.

What's funny is that for scenario 2, I thought the monsters were going to be closer to the door than they were. So I made a big plan for the Brute to rush in and make a big attack--except they were too far back, and I had nothing in range to attack. That's what I get for trying to cheat a little.

I've only played the first 2 scenarios (and I play solo only), but I feel it is important to keep as many surprises for myself as possible. I don't look at monster stats ahead of time, and I'm considering only grabbing monsters in the first room during setup. Because I play solo, the break needed to track down the new content as new doors open is not a big deal...

...Because of this, I believe the rulebook info on setup is the way it is to prevent big pauses in the action when playing multiplayer. This could especially be an issue for scenario 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cmmayo wrote:
What's funny is that for scenario 2, I thought the monsters were going to be closer to the door than they were. So I made a big plan for the Brute to rush in and make a big attack--except they were too far back, and I had nothing in range to attack. That's what I get for trying to cheat a little.

A very similar situation happened to me for scenario 2. I knew what was coming, but the rest of my group didn't. So they were strategising about rushing in and attacking the monsters in the locations they guessed from the shape of the room.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Something that didn't go so well was revealing that all but the first door is locked after revealing the second room. But revealing that particular special condition of the scenario would have revealed that the scenario contained a boss, and the reactions to the second room reveal were just too good to miss. I still feel like it was a poor decision from a gameplay perspective though, and will reveal scenario goals and conditions before selecting cards in the future.

Quote:
...Because of this, I believe the rulebook info on setup is the way it is to prevent big pauses in the action when playing multiplayer. This could especially be an issue for scenario 2.

Even with the room layout already placed, stopping gameplay to reveal the contents of a room is enough of a massive distraction. Especially since it happens in the middle of someone's turn! I guess placing the room as well as the contents wouldn't take much longer, but my group wouldn't be best pleased with anything that makes it take longer rather than shorter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.