Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shu
United States
Portsmouth
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just bought the game and will play today with my two kids, 6 and 9. We are going with the rules as written with one possible exception. We would like to have all five mice in Chapter 1 because they are all involved in the intro and dialogue and my kids like all of them. Yes I know that this will also give us an advantage too.

Has anyone else done this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Brett
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It'll be unbalanced in favour of the players, but whatever works for you should be just fine. Throw in an extra rat or two on each tile maybe to even it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Glassman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is taken from my house-rules:

oAdding a 5/6 player (important for missions with all mice) – this way everyone is only controlling 1 mouse at any given time:
Use the difficult encounter cards, start at 2 pages higher than where you are currently, add a minion to each encounter, etc.
If Encounter says 4 rat warriors – you could do 5. Or 4 and 1 elite, or 2 elites, etc. 5 roaches to 7 roaches.
Add treachery modifiers, or make-up enemies with different attributes: ex. Ice-damage, fire, weak to ranged, etc.

Use any or all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Targanth Phelandir
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many people have trouble with the first chapter, it can be one of the most difficult ones. Since it is your first play of the game, I would not be worried about making any changes other than to add the 5th mouse. Once you have learned all of the rules, then you will be better able to decide if the game needs to be more difficult. Playing with 6 and 9 year olds, having a fun experience is most important.

The second chapter will most likely need some adjustments, since only 3 mice are normally involved. Since there you will be adding two mice, you may want to add additional minions when you place enemies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shu
United States
Portsmouth
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. We are finding the first chapter challenging even with five but are all having fun with it! I must admit, the extra mouse gives the kids more to do as I continue to have to look up the occasional rule or event. But I like the idea of adding extra minions for the next chapter if we do the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Brett
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah! (Now that you've already started playing...) Familiarise yourself with the rules as much as possible before your next session. Nothing kills a kid's enthusiasm more than waiting an age while the adult frantically looks up a particular rule in a less-than-ideal rule book.

Sounds like you're off to a good start though meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N F
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
This is going to get really fun when you have all the expansions and play with all 10 mice so not to leave any out. And of course their 6 pets. Minions run in fear!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shu
United States
Portsmouth
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
And don't forget our D&D characters that are still going through Phandelver Mine-- we will be unstoppable! arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Corley

Utah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DubbleMeeple wrote:
It'll be unbalanced in favour of the players, but whatever works for you should be just fine. Throw in an extra rat or two on each tile maybe to even it up.

I have played the first chapter with five mice once and found that the game actually self-corrected for it: the minions had more opportunities to defend, resulting in more cheese rolls and, therefore, more frequent surges. Granted, it wasn't a lot, but it was noticeable.
YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Targanth wrote:
Many people have trouble with the first chapter, it can be one of the most difficult ones.

Agreed. I understand that the designer's are trying to introduce a lot of the different game mechanics in the first scenario, but even I get super confused. I think the optional quest of Maddie's Kitchen or whatever shouldn't have even been included, because the normal quest is hard enough as it is. I don't know anyone who has ever tried it, it's already super difficult just trying to get through it normally. It's a needless barrier for both new players and experienced players who are trying to make a good first impression for their group (which in my case, consists of children under 12).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.