United States
Havre
Montana
flag msg tools
@!#?@!
badge
Ehrmahgahd! Berd gahms!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thatgirl and I will be heading to London in April for a week. We will be spending most of our time doing the usual tourist stuff, but we'll also be looking to scratch our gaming itch while we are there. What shops/pubs/board game cafes are the best to check out? Especially any friendly locations where it wouldn't be too awkward for us to join in with others.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: staying in chiswick but have the full 6 zone pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Best shop: Leisure Games in Finchley (a tube ride north)

Cafe: Draughts

But best of all is London on Board - pub meetups most nights of the week and very welcoming. You need to sign up in advance though as it gets full!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Horakova
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Orc's Nest is very convenient because it's right down town, near lots of theatres, Forbidden Planet and the British Museum. Richmond also has a game cafe (with a cat) now--that's a very nice area of town.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CW Lumm
United States
Hampden
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
best of all is London on Board - pub meetups most nights of the week and very welcoming. You need to sign up in advance though as it gets full!

Listen to Martin, Kevin.

LoB is the most welcoming bunch of gamers I've ever run into. I lived there a few years ago and I'm still Facebook buddies with a lot of people from there.

The best thing about it (besides the generally awesome crowd) is that virtually no matter what you're into, you'll find someone else who'll play it with you (although scheduling specific games in advance on the meetup page is recommended, and I'm told that booking a spot in advance is essential for being let in these days because seating is limited).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Freeman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
Best shop: Leisure Games in Finchley (a tube ride north)

Cafe: Draughts

But best of all is London on Board - pub meetups most nights of the week and very welcoming. You need to sign up in advance though as it gets full!

+1 to all this - especially popping into Draughts for a game and a pint. I'd also recommend booking a table (even just for two) nowadays though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
oooh that tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
If your visit includes the 22 April, you might want to check if Salute is your sort of thing
http://www.salute.co.uk/salute/salute-2017/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dont miss the boardgame exhibtion at the V&A Museum of Childhood!
Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milda Batutiene
United Kingdom
Southall, West London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saturday's there is a meet-up in Turnham Green at the Tabbard pub. (Which should be super close to where you are staying). Check out the meetup site and join in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kēvin Zoren
United States
Havre
Montana
flag msg tools
@!#?@!
badge
Ehrmahgahd! Berd gahms!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up. My wife and I are going to try to sign up for the full day meetup at the Mad Hatter on Friday. Then again, might be good to get in a day of gaming before we leave Sunday...

Cheers,
Kevin Z.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
www.boardgoats.org
United Kingdom
Stanford-in-the-Vale, Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

mikeb13603 wrote:
Dont miss the boardgame exhibtion at the V&A Museum of Childhood!
Mike

Seconded - If you haven't finished your visit already, this is well worth it. Two of our group went and really enjoyed it. This is the last weekend though, so if you want to go, better make it now!

nannyGOAT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.