Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Neumann
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Is ascendancy 6 a viable way to confirm the victor?

Last night we had a very close match and two players were very close to winning, the issue was that both had ascendancy 5 and one of them was able to push into ascendancy 6, yet the rules don't cover such a situation.

What is the official ruling for such an event.

2) Is it valid to achieve and win ascendancy 5 if you are the last player on a game round, as no one else can challenge your position?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The rules for when to check for victory, what constitutes victory, and how to break ties are very clear in the rules. Page 4...

The check for victory happens at the start of every recharge phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first tiebreaker is number of systems controlled.

There is no second tiebreaker, if the tied players control the same number of systems the game is just a tie.

If playing to a sixth Ascendancy is amenable to the tied players, in many ways I think that would be a better way to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cyr
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As others have stated, using the RAW, there is no advantage to having Ascendancy 6 over Ascendancy 5. That said, if you wanted to have a house rule that said the first tie breaker was the number of Ascendancy, and only second did you look at the number of systems controlled, that would seem perfectly reasonable.

As for your second question, yes, it is perfectly valid for the player who goes last in the round to achieve Ascendancy 5 and win the game. The other players should be aware that he might be able to achieve victory, and it is up to them to do something about it on their turns, if they can. This might even be a reasonable reason why someone who won the Initiative bid at the start of the round might choose the last initiative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Neumann
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the answers! Has anyone experienced frequent supremacy victories? Our group is only getting to ascendancy 5 or 6 victories as of yet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Federation came darn close to a Supremacy victory in one of our recent games.

Ascendancy 6 seems like it would be a rare occurrence. Assuming you ended the last turn with 4 culture, you would need to get 6 culture in a turn to hit 6 Ascendancy. I suppose you could have 5 nodes and then win a battle as the Klingons, for instance, but I still don't see this being very common.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Neumann
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my case, I was playing with the klingons, got to Ascendancy 5 and then the romulans using advanced cloaking warped past my fleets and had a pretty violent showdown over Qo'nos. They were able to take the planet and for a whole turn was under his control. When I was able to liberate Qo'nos, he had achieved ascendancy 5, and I had 6 additional culture from those two turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neumann wrote:
In my case, I was playing with the klingons, got to Ascendancy 5 and then the romulans using advanced cloaking warped past my fleets and had a pretty violent showdown over Qo'nos. They were able to take the planet and for a whole turn was under his control. When I was able to liberate Qo'nos, he had achieved ascendancy 5, and I had 6 additional culture from those two turns.

Ah, that makes sense. When the same thing happened to me, I used all of my culture for turn bidding purposes, since I had no other use for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.