Andrew Gross
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First, let me preface this post by saying that I am incredibly impressed by the design of this game. I've recommended it to several prominent game designers. I'll probably write something up at some point about why I think the mechanics are so elegant.

On to my question:

How difficult are people finding it to win in one player games? I have not come close to winning in my first five games. I made it to the boss twice, and died in the first round both times.

Note that this is not a complaint; to the contrary, I'm pleasantly surprised that I'm finding it to be such a challenge. But I am curious about how other people have fared.

Follow-up question:

It seems obvious that it would be easier to beat the game in campaign mode, since you get progressively more powerful. Is this how the game was originally intended to be played, or was it tacked on after the fact?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only won 3 times, twice with the Rogue and once wth the Fighter, and only in the easiest dungeon, The Dragons Cave. I've lost so many times, I'd say around 20 losses. I've tried every character and the next two dungeons on the difficulty scale, but alas nothing but defeats.

I love the game and the losses actually make me like the game even more. I've only played solo with one character and have never attempted the campaign mode. For now the game as is is just perfect IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Walker
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are not alone. I could not eek out a win either until I started playing "easy mode" that is described in the revised rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Lavender
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
Klaatu barada nikto.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played it 2-player and in campaign mode. We have lost once in a Medium dungeon - I think it was the Hyrdra.

Campaign mode definitely makes it easier to progress into the harder dungeons and encourages doing so because some abilities require XP from medium or hard dungeon levels. I don't think we could make it in the medium level dungeons unless we had the extra abilities and I know we couldn't handle the hard without it.

We leverage potions a lot. Keep in mind that win you defeat a card that has a potion on it, if you take the potion ability, you also get another white cube as an additional potion, which can be used as ANY potion you own, including heal - which we seem to do a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first playthrough was with paladin. I played the bosses in difficulty order. All bosses took two tries before I beat them except Yeti who took three and Miniotaur who I beat on the first try.

I played the campaign game and leveled my character up as I played, I went with the healing tree. After the last battle (Minotaur I had the points to max out the sheet.
I played on the hardest difficulty (no extra experience or level from start), so I got two points after each dungeon.
With Paladin this wasn't that hard, I expect other classes to struggle more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying to account for all the rules I got wrong in my first few plays (at the default difficulty), I think I still would have lost badly. I saw potential in the game, but was fairly frustrated. I really wish "novice mode" had been offered in the original printed rulebook, because I think a lot of us would have enjoyed the game more from the start. (Not everyone, of course, but I think you know who you are.)

I won my first solo novice mode game, but I believe I still had a substantial rule wrong (not removing XP cards from the game when leveling up). So I don't know if I actually should have won or not.

Since then, I have only played 2p, which I definitely find easier to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
I play mostly solo mode, and win maybe 30-40% of the time? I'm certainly not an expert, but my experience is that this is actually an engine building game, and getting certain skills and levelling up early seems to be crucial to success. It also kind of reminds me of Friday in that you need to be pretty aggressive early and take some hits in order to get what you need. Of course there's an enormous luck factor too: I sometimes bail after only a few rounds if I don't get what I need because I know it will only end in tears.

Also, rogue seems to have highest success rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
It took me about 13(?) tries to win solo, all with rules (more or less) as written, aka "expert mode". Finally beat the dragon with the warrior, then was able to do it again. You definitely have to play the game with a goal in mind if you want to defeat the boss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Barrett
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was able to finish on my second attempt using the Warrior, and using the rules within the rulebook. I think it was a bit of a fluke, since even after starting the campaign, I didn't beat it again for another 4 or 5 tries.
If you do the campaign, the games obviously gets easier to defeat the dragon and subsequent levels. I can't imagine anyone be able to beat the hard levels without leveling up through the campaign, and without an absurd amount of luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Frantz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the difficulty tiers in the revised rulebook strictly for the campaign mode? I haven't been playing campaign, but have also found the 1p game very difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play with them without campaign mode, if you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kahler
United States
Lees Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thus far I've play the first ( Dragon ) adventure about 5 times solo. Won once with the fighter and got wiped multiple times with the archer. Tried the 2P version this weekend and a horrible die roll party wiped us on the second floor. I really like the challenge in the game and the mechanics of the single game items and skill gain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Fletcher
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It took me five tries using Campaign Mode and the Archer to beat the Dragon. I got REALLY lucky with some early rolls on a couple of 4-XP encounters, so my level, loot, and skills ramped up fast enough that by the time I got to the dragon I was rolling something like six extra dice each round after skills were applied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.