Terra Mystica» Forums » Rules

Subject: Setup order, faction or the board? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
I wonder what is the order of choosing the factions? Do you setup the board first (with all scoring/bonus tiles) before choosing your factions? My understanding is that it is the opposite, first chose factions and then setup the board.
I know that the answer is so obvious that no one ever asked it on the forum, so why isn't it that obvious in the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the pdf file I have, on page 6 you are said to set-up and then choose your faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten G.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In your first game, you should use the suggested setup in the rulebook.

In further games, you should choose your faction, based on the setup. Some examples:

- Spade scoring in Round 4 is good for Halflings.
- Stronghold/Sanctuary scoring in Round 1 is good for Giants, Nomads or Swarmlings.
- If the 6 coins bonus tile is not in the game, Alchimists might be a good choice.
- AIR favor tiles are good for the witches (which have 2 AIR right from the start).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m j
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It was asked in previous forum:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1526716/turn-order-when-sta...

This is the clear answer to Your question: (quote from link above):
grant5 wrote:
It seems as though, even after several people have contributed, nobody has yet listed all the steps in the correct order. So here they are:

1) Determine the starting player (per the rules, this is the person who has most recently dug a planting bed in their garden).
NOTE: skip this step if using the F&I Auction rules

2) Randomly determine the six scoring tiles that will be in the game and their order (remember no spade scoring allowed in rounds 5 or 6)
2a) If playing with F&I additional end-game scoring, randomly select and reveal that tile now.

3) Randomly determine which Bonus Tiles will be in the game

3.5) If using the F&I Auction rules, randomly select the available factions at this time.

4) Choose factions in turn order
4a) Follow the bidding procedure if using the F&I Auction rules. Each player selects their position in turn order when they win an auction.
NOTE: If a player chooses an Ice or Variable faction, they immediately select their starting terrain. If a player chooses a Volcano faction, they select their starting terrain after all other players have chosen factions.

5) Place first dwellings in turn order (except for CM)

6) Place second dwellings in REVERSE turn order (except for CM)
6a) Nomads place third dwelling
6b) Chaos Magicians place their only starting dwelling

7) Select starting bonus tiles in REVERSE turn order
7a) Place coins on unselected bonus tiles

8) Begin the game (starting with Income)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you very much. See, that was obvious... For people smarter than me :-) and it makes the game much better.
Thank you very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe O'Donnell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemon Curry wrote:

In further games, you should choose your faction, based on the setup. Some examples:

- Stronghold/Sanctuary scoring in Round 1 is good for Giants, Nomads or Swarmlings.
- If the 6 coins bonus tile is not in the game, Alchimists might be a good choice.
- AIR favor tiles are good for the witches (which have 2 AIR right from the start).

I was looking through the forums for something just like this. I've played Terra Mystica once before about 2 years ago. I just got a copy for my birthday and I ran out and bought the expansion (not because I need it but because I'm an idiot when it comes to games). I played last night with two friends who never played before. I had them play the Halflings and the Nomads, which seem easy to play and, as the "expert" I played the Giants which I heard were hard. I lost handily.

I'll teach the game to my son tonight. Likely next week, I'll be teaching this to another group.

The point is, in the near to not so near future I'll be playing this with new and/or inexperienced players and I don't expect to get this to the table so often that anybody will be experienced enough to intelligently pick the races based on the setup, but I would like to get a chance to play with and against the other races, while not screwing anybody over with random picks.

So a basic rule of thumb for choosing races like this would be helpful. Is there a more complete version of this? How about the expansion races, though I don't think I'm brave or foolish enough to try the expansion races just yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C TK
Canada
flag msg tools
oldpear wrote:
Lemon Curry wrote:

I was looking through the forums for something just like this. I've played Terra Mystica once before about 2 years ago. I just got a copy for my birthday and I ran out and bought the expansion (not because I need it but because I'm an idiot when it comes to games). I played last night with two friends who never played before. I had them play the Halflings and the Nomads, which seem easy to play and, as the "expert" I played the Giants which I heard were hard. I lost handily.

I'll teach the game to my son tonight. Likely next week, I'll be teaching this to another group.

The point is, in the near to not so near future I'll be playing this with new and/or inexperienced players and I don't expect to get this to the table so often that anybody will be experienced enough to intelligently pick the races based on the setup, but I would like to get a chance to play with and against the other races, while not screwing anybody over with random picks.

So a basic rule of thumb for choosing races like this would be helpful. Is there a more complete version of this? How about the expansion races, though I don't think I'm brave or foolish enough to try the expansion races just yet.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/104541/terra-mystica-stra...

This should be fine at a beginner level.

Extra care should be taken with the Engineers, Fakirs, Swarmlings, Giants, and Darklings, as these factions require significant faction-specific knowledge to succeed. Chaos Magicians require knowledge of which favours are good so should wait until at least second game, but should be fine after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CTKShadow wrote:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/104541/terra-mystica-stra...

This should be fine at a beginner level.

Extra care should be taken with the Engineers, Fakirs, Swarmlings, Giants, and Darklings, as these factions require significant faction-specific knowledge to succeed. Chaos Magicians require knowledge of which favours are good so should wait until at least second game, but should be fine after that.

This just reminded me that in my 1st learning game of Terra Mystica, someone recommended the CM stronghold early because the 2x move is really good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
This just reminded me that in my 1st learning game of Terra Mystica, someone recommended the CM stronghold early because the 2x move is really good!
And their SH is really cheap! CM SH for the win!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe O'Donnell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CTK Shadow, thanks for the link to the file. I appreciate all the info therein, though it's a little intimidating. Even after I master the nomenclature, I think it would still take me at least several minutes to try to make a decision on a faction. I would not give this to a beginner.

Guess what I could do is next time I'm anticipating a game I could prep the random elements and decide at leisure what factions would be appropriate. Essentially making my own version of the recommended first time set-up.

For a more spontaneous setup, I still like what Lemmon Curry did with condensing it down to a few basic rules of thumb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C TK
Canada
flag msg tools
DocCool wrote:
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
And their SH is really cheap! CM SH for the win!

The funny thing is that I don't think the CM SH is bad at all...because of think the low cost for 2x worker income. The "problem" is that the SA is so good and building both early is unrealistic with only one starting dwelling. A faction like halflings would love the CM SH.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Sequeira
msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow, talking about the Chaos SH.. this is weird, I have 15 plays with them (last of them ~2.5months ago

and I never noticed the income for the SH was 2w! xD

I usually only build it on turn 5/6, if ever, and just assumed it was 2 or 4 pw xD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.