Chris
Germany
Würzburg
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hey guys,

I just bought the 5th edition of WiF out of mere chance (15€ on eBay for an unpunched copy...whaaaaat), and while I never intended to buy nor play this game, I am now in a position where I have to decide whether I try to sell it off again, or actually give it a try first.
Thus the following questions, these have probably been answered to death, so I apologize for asking them again, but I was unable to find a clearcut answer to them:

If I plan on giving this a solitaire playthrough (and, if I like it a second/third, etc. given the time) should I bother with the newest rules version in the files section. And more importantly: Are the changes between 6th and 5th Edition limited to the rulebook, or are there any significant component changes that would require creating new components to incorporate? (I did find out that some versions of the Final Edition seem to incorporate certain expansions...)

I am NOT planning on getting all the way into the series, and I am really curious at this point if I should just go with the copy as is (which I never do), or try a "newer" version.

Thank you for your input!

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Using the 5th edition bits with with the 6th (Final Edition) rules is not possible without massive house-ruling. The 5th edition rules make for a fine game, but essentially all of the discussion here and elsewhere on the internet is about Final Edition (WiFFE), so you are kind of on your own with 5th Edition. For this reason, most advice I have seen suggests getting WiFFE if you want to play World in Flames.

BtW, we are all awaiting a revision to the WiFFE rules, map, and counters that will come out with the Collector's Edition. What is not clear is if this will take months or perhaps longer to arrive; it is definitely in the pipeline, tho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd advise just using the 5th edition rules with what you have. Some prefer it to the later versions anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Brueckner
Germany
Loerrach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have fun, I got out of the auction at 11 Euro.

If you ever move near Freiburg, I would be happy to play your set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Germany
Würzburg
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mb
millenium_baby wrote:
Have fun, I got out of the auction at 11 Euro.

If you ever move near Freiburg, I would be happy to play your set.

Sorry for that! whistle
But I am sure we can arrange a game at some point!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Clarke
Canada
flag msg tools
You can use 1st ed. DoD and all the expansion kits that came out between 5th and 6th with the 5th edition rules, without too many problems. Beyond that you do inevitably get into house-ruling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.