Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Ticket to Ride: Europe» Forums » Variants

Subject: Youngster versions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I'm planning to play this with my kids and revise rules in this way. Any thoughts / alternative suggestions would be welcomed:

1) Only use short tickets (possibly deliberately take out some that may cause blocking).
2) Deal one short ticket per player and play these open.
3) Use stations to mark start and end of each ticket each player is aiming for.
4) stations can be used if required though appreciate this may foul up the use of stations to mark route but something else (non playing stations coloured ones) could be used to mark routes.
5) ferries are played as usual.
6) Initially tunnels don't use the extra card rule and just play as standard rules.
7) when a player completes a ticket they choose a new one.
8) first to X(6?) tickets wins.
9) no in game scoring or end game scoring.

I've not played this yet but plan to do later. As earlier, any suggestions or revisions welcome.

Ta!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How young are they?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8 and 5 though i may leave the 5yo out of it or let her team up with me to start with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smith
Canada
Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would use something else to mark end of tickets than stations, if you are going to use stations. On the other hand, until they know the game, you could just eliminate stations. Especially since you would not be using blocking routes.

Six tickets could take a long time. I would suggest 4 for the first game or three.

Extra card rule for tunnels? You turn over THREE extra cards and see how many match.

Have a great time!

Warm regards, Rick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For kids as young as 5, I'd ignore tunnels and station rules completely. First to 3-4 short tickets would be better than 6. It would be easy for them to see which tickets would be blocked, so no worries with conflicting tickets in the same batch as long as the player gets to pick from a sufficient number of alternatives. So I guess that pretty much everything else you have in your list sounds good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks all! Re the extra cards for tunnels, I meant just to play them as standard tracks without having to draw from the draw pile. Didn't get chance to play this today but will update when I do. Also seems 4 tickets would be better start than 6.
Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Canada
Whitby
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play this with my 5-year old using the following rules, which are pretty similar to your rules.

1. Ignore tunnels, but play ferries as normal.
2. Everyone is dealt 2 (short) tickets at a time, and gets to choose to keep one or both. The end-points of the tickets are marked with stations
3. Tickets are played face-up and scored immediately, and you can then draw 2 more tickets, keeping one or both
4. No penalty for unscored tickets
5. Routes and tickets are awarded points as normal
6. Play to end of game as normal: 2 or fewer trains, plus one more turn.
7. (optional) Lose to my daughter every single time because she always seem to draw overlapping tickets
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks Mike. That is indeed very similar to my plan with the main difference of scoring to the end of trains and choosing one of two tickets. I think I'll try it like this when i next play. Out of interest why do you just use station at end of route and not the start too? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Canada
Whitby
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talismaniac13 wrote:
Thanks Mike. That is indeed very similar to my plan with the main difference of scoring to the end of trains and choosing one of two tickets. I think I'll try it like this when i next play. Out of interest why do you just use station at end of route and not the start too? Thanks!

I meant that the stations are placed at both ends of a given route, not just at the "end". I probably could have been clearer.

I started choosing from 2 tickets after my daughter had played a couple of games to get her thinking about strategy. Pretty early on she grokked that longer = more points, so then I had to teach her about how easy it would be to actually complete a route.

Depending on the attention span of your children, ending the game based on an earlier threshold might be better. My daughter is just so excited to play one of my games, that she will play through the entire thing without getting bored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Makes sense. Thanks. My kids seem happy to play games with me too just for the spending time together aspect. Cheers again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.