Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an attempt to categorise the various Story Cards, now that there are twenty of the things. Anything else that should be added?

Types are:

$: cash grab (first to $N, or Last Call and most-money-wins)
G: goal grab (score a goal each time you do a thing)
R: reputation grab (be solid with N different contacts)
P: progressive (an ordered series of specific tests)
?: something else

/H: with Havens

Title
Another Man's Treasure
Any Port In A Storm
Awful Lonely in the Big Black
Desperadoes
Down And Out
First Time in the Captain's Chair
Harken's Folly
It's All In Who You Know
Jail Break
King of All Londinium
Niska's Holiday
Patience's War
Respectable Persons
Smugglers Blues
The Choices We Make
The Great Recession
The Scavenger's 'Verse
The Well's Run Dry
Wanted Men
Where The Wind Takes Us
Type
G/H
$/H
R/$/?
$
R
$
P
R
P
P
P
P
$
$+R
G
$
?
$
$
G/H
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Cat - No Cradle
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Meoww
mbmbmbmbmb
Having just played the "Awful Lonely in the Big Black" yesterday - the "?" as "something else" I take it to be "The Ugly" goal of accumulating misbehaves.
I would see this and cash ($) being specific instances of a general goal of accumulation (of a numeric count physical objects - could also be cargo, fugitives etc) - just to help simplify the categories.

One could argue that the "reputation grab" is also accumulation of cards, but I think that is being meta- one builds reputation which is qualitative, not quantitative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the big distinction is repeatability, which puts the progressive Story Cards (do goal 1, do goal 2, do goal 3 and win) in a separate box from the others.

Then you could say that "get N solids" is N different things, rather than the same thing ("do a job") N different times.

I find it useful to distinguish cash grabs from goal grabs, because if I'm playing with a time limit I'm much less likely to get a tie with a cash-based score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Played Smugglers Blues twice in the last 3 days and it is more of a $ and R as you need the Reputation to sell the Contraband to the Solid Contacts with the $2000 bills!

If you get to be Solid with a couple of the Contacts (not Harken) then you are well on your way to the finishing line as I found to my cost!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.