13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Extremely expensive prototype rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Per Jespersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
I'm looking at creating a prototype of our board. I've watched guite a few videos from experienced people to get a few ideas. They all more or less print the board on glossy paper and glue it on the cardboard. This seems easy enough.

Our board is a rather large quad-fold board; about 27x18 inch when opened. When I try to find a printer to do this they charge about 50$ for the print alone! Seems to me that this method of protoype design makes little sense.

Nobody adresses this issue, so I am thinking too much inside-the-box somehow. Is there an easy inexpensive priting option (for that size) I missed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you print on several smaller sheets, cut off the borders, and then glue them next to each other?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Use Rasteriser to print it as multiple A4 sheets.

http://www.rasterizer.de
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you need the prototype for? For playtesting or to show it to a publisher?

If it's just for playtesting, then couldn't you just print the board on paper and tape the papers together?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eleanor
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
printerstudio.de has a 30" x 20" poster for €12.60. You'd have to make sure they didn't enlarge it and cut it to size yourself but it seems a lot cheaper than $50
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Jespersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Thanks for the response. To adress a few of your points:

We thought about gluing together several A4 sheets but won't the seem a little cheap? I don't know, we havenøt tried it.

About needing a prototype: The board construction and colors is sort of relavent to the game and how it will feel to play, so we would like to see how it works. You might be right that it doesn't have to look perfect. However my post was more about feasability than necessity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DrDress wrote:
We thought about gluing together several A4 sheets but won't the seem a little cheap?

1) Not if you do it well
2) It's a prototype; it's supposed to be cheap
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tape A4s or A3. Put sheets of plexi over to get a nice flat surface that makes it feel less cheap (nice to have even for just a prototype).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Jespersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
pelni wrote:
Tape A4s or A3. Put sheets of plexi over to get a nice flat surface that makes it feel less cheap (nice to have even for just a prototype).

Do you mean plexi glass? That's quite a different approach. Sound cool, though, if not a little smooth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrDress wrote:
pelni wrote:

Do you mean plexi glass? That's quite a different approach. Sound cool, though, if not a little smooth.

Yup, plexi glass or pvc sheets. Standard wargame assecory because almost all wargames have big unmounted paper maps that you want to keep flat, plus it protects and is surprisingly sticky (so cardboard counters do not slide around much). And it keeps sheets together so if there are just a few there is no need for tape.

EDIT: Forgot to mention something surprisingly rewarding about playing games with plexi/pvc: When you put down a component on them, especially wooden blocks, they make a very sound. Gives a cheap thin printed paper prototype map a very luxurious feel overall, easily nicer to play on than any mounted real board. Only downside is transporting the sheets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Hiwiller
United States
Winter Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The FexEx Office stores here in the US tend to have plotters for printing of architectural plans. I print my 18" x 18" boards there for prototypes. Black and white only, which is fine for most prototypes and something like $2/square foot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I currently make boards 3 fold (6 pieces.) I make them from A4 2000 micron card, hinged with duck tape, backed with black vinyl, with playing surfaces laser printed on A4 labels.
You can produce cheap good quality prototypes but you'll have to put some work into it yourself rather then paying someone else to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a prototype possibly subject to future changes so cheap is the way to go.

You want to see if everything works and fits and there may be the need for adjustments so components that are inexpensive are preferrable so you are not wasting on something that might end up re-done to fix.

If its a demo set for a convention then even then dont worry so much about looks or glitz.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.