Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dugas
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played both, I prefer Fury of Dracula. Letters from Whitechapel feels more abstract, a logic puzzle once you find part of the trail. Fury of Dracula, with some variation between the characters' abilities, the ability of Dracula to seed his trail with traps, the day/night cycle, and the combat once Dracula is encountered, feels more thematic on top of having the similar hidden movement mechanic. Can't really speak to replayability since, because of its length, it doesn't reach the table very often for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kinglothar32 wrote:
For 2 players?

You know that info is right there on their home page right? I bought LfW after playing FoD. Combat in FoD was somewhat interesting, but I didn't feel the need for it. Similar to why I passed on Rebellion, who's combat system is a negative for me. I tend to prefer the more streamlined takes on things unless I'm specifically looking for something on the more epic side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig B
Australia
Mount Hawthorn
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither. The correct answer is Specter Ops at your player count of 2.

Fury of Dracula (second edition) is a good game, but too long / too much for 1 person to manage as the 4 hunters. If you had 2 people playing as 2 hunters each vs. Dracula then it's fine. But 1 person controlling all 4 hunters would melt their brain for 2.5 hrs and then they'd be like "Never again!".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian S
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LfW is better for 2 players. FoD shouldnt be played with 2 for afore mentioned reasons.
FoD is THE hidden movement game of choice for 3 or 5 players.
Spector Ops is more exciting with 5 and above for the ability to play with the betrayer.
With 4 players, I dont recommend you play hidden movement games. There are a TON of other better games of other genres at this player count to explore (I'd recommend Witness if u still want deduction games)
At 6 and above, check out Shadow Hunters andThe Resistance: Avalon

Replayability wise FoD provides the ability to mix it up with Advanced options for Dracula. There is a lot more going on for it and I find this having more X factor for the different actions and combat u can take each turn.

LfW is more pure hidden movement detection without those combat things added into gameplay.

Sometimes I find "purer" being better in the sense that I find Blokus more fun than Patchwork for example. In the end its just your opinion.

For more information on this topic, highly recommend Jon Purkis' excellent video on hidden movement games on the Actualol youtube channel. He was the Geek of the Week just couple of weeks ago...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Scotland Yard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Whitechapel is garbage. You can spend 2 rounds of the game achieving literally nothing if you're unlucky, and just spend turn after turn stabbing in the dark whilst Jack, on the other side of the board, just laughs at you. Horrible. Also note it's not a game that scales in any way at all. It's not a "2 to 5 player" game like the box says it's "1 to a billion" vs 1 as there are no "police" mechanics specific to any bum on a seat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With 2 players:
Letters > Fury > Specter

With 3-4:
Fury > Letters > Specter

Both Fury and Letters are very replayable, especially with a constant group as you'll start to develop a good metagame.

Also, long-shot, but if you're looking for hidden movement check out Last Friday - probably not good with 2 players but it depends how important theme is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Android

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.