Subject: Question: Citadels taking unplayed advantage card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Devin Smith
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Hi all,

My wife and I picked up this game last week (loving it) and a question keeps coming up. When you play the citadel action card, can you take the yellow advantage card from the deck if no player took it at the beginning of the round?

This could happen if no player was the chieftain or after exploration, etc. I argue that I can, as it is "unplayed," but my wife argues that it's not in a players hand and the intention of the card is to steal from another player.

Follow-up question, if the advantage card can be played "after an action card," can I use it after the citadel steal or do I have to wait until the following turn?

We both think it can be played after citadel but looking for confirmation. Sorry if these have been answered.. couldn't find them in forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes to both questions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
I make a couple of assumptions on this as the rules aren't 100% clear.

A1 - Advantage cards that are in the face-down deck are effectively not in the game
A2 - Exploration action will add that territory's Advantage card to those face-up on the table immediately.
A3 - 'Unplayed' covers Advantage cards in player's hands as well as those face-up on the table, a played Advantage card is Face-down on the table.

I imagine the Citadels action to be sort of 'taking the momentum' on a territory. If someone else is chieftain you're stealing that from them momentarily. If no one is chieftain you're laying claim to it.

I see no reason why you couldn't immediately play that Advantage card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
toomanymouths wrote:
Hi all,

My wife and I picked up this game last week (loving it) and a question keeps coming up. When you play the citadel action card, can you take the yellow advantage card from the deck if no player took it at the beginning of the round?

This could happen if no player was the chieftain or after exploration, etc. I argue that I can, as it is "unplayed," but my wife argues that it's not in a players hand and the intention of the card is to steal from another player.

Follow-up question, if the advantage card can be played "after an action card," can I use it after the citadel steal or do I have to wait until the following turn?

We both think it can be played after citadel but looking for confirmation. Sorry if these have been answered.. couldn't find them in forum.

For your first question, you can use Citadels to claim an advantage card that isn't in a player's hand.

For your second question, I think so. I believe that this has been confirmed in another rules thread but am not sure.

EDIT: Ninja'd by the designer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.