Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played my first game of Julius Caesar. A couple of questions came up during play:

(1) Do you reveal the blocks when placing a levy? (i.e., how do you demonstrate that you are actually putting the named legion/equitates on the appropriate town)

(2) When a battle occurs in a port and both sides have a navis in the adjacent sea zone, and additionally the land battle is resolved first, do both sides' navis participate in the land combat? Are the navis present in the first round, or are they reserves?

(3) For the Jupiter event, does adjacency include straits? What about seas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Keep your lovin' brother happy!
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - No. Placement is a matter of trust.
2 - No, to be involved in the battle in the port, the navis had to be moved into the port city.
3 - Straits, Yes. Seas, No. A strait is a connection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anemaat wrote:

I'll further note that the rules are silent on whether you even see the other player performing their levy. To me and people I've played with, the spirit of the "fog of war" suggests that you do not. So we look away while the other is doing their building. Thus you know which places get new blocks (as a courtesy we'll say e.g. "You see a new block in Rome"), but you do not know which places had strength added to existing blocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarifications Harmonica.

Interesting point Rus, in fact,I was going to ask as a follow-up how do you ensure that the levy strength increases come in the correct increment. So it seems that the only time blocks are revealed is during combat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirdan221 wrote:
So it seems that the only time blocks are revealed is during combat?

Right!

(Or at least 99% right; e.g. some particular special events also cause blocks to be revealed...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
anemaat wrote:

I'll further note that the rules are silent on whether you even see the other player performing their levy. To me and people I've played with, the spirit of the "fog of war" suggests that you do not. So we look away while the other is doing their building.

In tournament games of Julius Caesar you get to see where your opponent adds blocks/pips, but this sounds like a fun at-home variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wkover wrote:
russ wrote:
anemaat wrote:

I'll further note that the rules are silent on whether you even see the other player performing their levy. To me and people I've played with, the spirit of the "fog of war" suggests that you do not. So we look away while the other is doing their building.

In tournament games of Julius Caesar you get to see where your opponent adds blocks/pips, but this sounds like a fun at-home variant.

Interesting; that surprises me on one hand (since seeing where the opponent strengthens is so obviously contrary to the whole point of "fog of war"), but since it's a tournament situation, I wonder if it's merely an inevitable unfortunate practical compromise to reduce possible cheating. :/

BTW having played both ways, I certainly do recommend this way at home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems to me that the "tournament" application of this is a violation of the rules. The rules do NOT say the levy is revealed to the opponent. Until the rules "say that" then you don't. That's a cut and dried situation. The tournament guys are wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cundiff wrote:
Seems to me that the "tournament" application of this is a violation of the rules. The rules do NOT say the levy is revealed to the opponent. Until the rules "say that" then you don't. That's a cut and dried situation. The tournament guys are wrong.

The blocks themselves aren't revealed. I.e., if you put a new block on the board, you don't have to show your opponent what it is.

But your opponent does get to see where you place new blocks, and also which existing blocks have pips added to them.

The tournament was run by the designer, so I suspect he's a reasonable authority.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems clearly done for purely practical (and understandable) reasons, i.e. to prevent cheating in the tournament and to prevent possible sincere mistakes or confusion in the tournament which would then not be resolvable.

But when possible, e.g. at home, playing with full fog of war (i.e. not seeing where steps are added) seems clearly superior (and more in the "fog of war" spirit).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A new question came up in my most recent playthrough:
(4) For the regroup phase after a successful attack, is the movement limit along a road cumulative with the prior movement? For example, suppose 4 blocks successfully attack Neapolis from Rome. During the regroup phase are you (a) not allowed to move any blocks back to Rome, or (b) can move up to 4 blocks back to Rome?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirdan221 wrote:
A new question came up in my most recent playthrough:
(4) For the regroup phase after a successful attack, is the movement limit along a road cumulative with the prior movement? For example, suppose 4 blocks successfully attack Neapolis from Rome. During the regroup phase are you (a) not allowed to move any blocks back to Rome, or (b) can move up to 4 blocks back to Rome?

Interesting; looking at the rules now, I agree that it's not very clearly described.

FWIW I've always supposed that the regrouping road limits are independent in the regrouping, not cumulative through the turn. E.g. if I move 4 in via one road and win, I could then regroup all 4 of them back out via that same road.

Based on rule 7.61 (Retreat Limits) which seems to say that each combat round's road limits for retreat are independent ("Road Limits (6.11) apply to all retreating blocks each Battle Round.") so e.g. you could retreat 4 out along a given major road in each battle round, I think that analogously the same principle would seem to apply during regrouping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.