Daniel Cooley
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
Bad Wolf! Bad Wolf! Bad Wolf! Bad Wolf!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No! I just bought this on Friday. Of course it'd be cheaper immediately after I get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Weatherford
msg tools
There goes my money for Rising Sun... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle B
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How abstract-ish is this game? How nasty can you be to other players? I watched some videos and those were my main concerns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaap wrote:
How abstract-ish is this game? How nasty can you be to other players? I watched some videos and those were my main concerns.

I'd say it's quite thematic for being a game with almost no luck. Every card's ability makes sense, and the food meeples help reinforce the theme as well.

You can be fairly nasty to other players. A lot of it just comes down to competition for selling food, though you can deny others certain cards as well. There's a checklist you go through to see where consumers go to eat, and if you're closer/cheaper/satisfy their needs more/whatever, they'll go to you over someone else who's offering the same thing...sometimes completely messing over their plans. I'd say it's fairly spiteful, but it's not too in-your-face. With less players especially, you can each agree to play a more friendly game of it by building at opposite ends of the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaap wrote:

Not very abstract at all. Everything flows in a twisted way from the theme.

The game requires nastiness. Unlike Splotter's Roads & Boats, which can be played nasty or nice, FCM relies pretty heavily on getting up in other people's business. If you have a map with two separate neighborhoods, you can avoid getting too nasty, but the game really shines with high interaction. I'll add a caveat that, although you mess up each other's plans, there aren't any "surprise!" take-that style cards or anything. It's mean in the way something like Chess is mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stokes
United States
North Augusta
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Duck Season!
badge
I also believe that you met the King of the Forest, Mei, and meeting him is a sign of good luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaap wrote:

As mentioned, if you don't want to get down and dirty, then this game might not be one to own.

You lay perfect plans so that all the customers come running for your food and drink, then someone drops a marketing campaign, and no one wants any of your stuff. They laugh, you cry, if that is not your idea of fun, better to try this at a convention first.

Edit: If you do get this, I'd also recommend buying BGG's card setup solution or be prepared to make your own. That way you only need one table to play this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Croft
United States
Smithfield
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's definitely a competitive game, especially playing it 2 player with just hubby. He could be getting all his business in order to poach all the customers. When, BAM. I play a Marketer. Now everyone wants beer too. But he doesn't have any beer. I have beer cause I played my delivery boy. Looks like they will all be coming to spend their money at my business instead.

It doesn't have to be nasty though. Cause the customers go by distance as well as who can fulfill their wants. You can take up opposite ends, or separate neighborhoods. But it really depends on the board layout. Sometimes the houses just happen to group around a certain road. Others it's a fairly even layout and can be played on friendly terms when you're not fighting over the same customers.

All said. It is a really good game. I definitely recommend, it's one of my favorites because of its pure strategic nature. There's no dice or luck involved. If you do buy it, I would highly consider getting an organizer. BGG has their accordian version. But I purchased a wooden one from Etsy, it was more money but stored the game well. I won't link it but search for Food Chain Magnate and you'll easily find it. It stores all the bits and pieces in removeable wooden compartments. As well as storage for the achievement and job cards while playing, the top part is engraved with each of the names. Otherwise you need alot of table space to lay everything out. And the organizer fits in the box. There's also a sleeved version, but I told myself leaving the cards unsleeved would pay for the difference between BGG's and the wood organizer.

This turned out really long omg. But yeah, basically. Recommend. Get organizer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a game based around competition, it is by definition mean, but it's also highly enjoyable. Even though you CAN come back and win from a big deficit, I would argue that for your first few games you should really just concede to an obvious winner and try again. The game can run for a very long time if people don't place radio campaigns (which spread demand everywhere). But at the end of the day, FCM is one of the all-time greats, it's incredible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Eder
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UanarchyK wrote:
I'll add a caveat that, although you mess up each other's plans, there aren't any "surprise!" take-that style cards or anything. It's mean in the way something like Chess is mean.

Not only are there no surprise cards, but there isnt really anything surprising anyone else can spring on you if youre paying attention. Sure, someone can market something you dont make, but that takes 2 turns. Someone can certainly gt discount managers and bottom out their prices - but you see it coming a turn before they can do it.

The game is about adaptability and flexibility in being able to respond when other people act. As well as to seeing where and how you can shift the market in your favor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:
I'd say it's quite thematic for being a game with almost no luck.

... and that's only if you count the initial turn order "luck", otherwise after that there is zero luck... much like Terra Mystica. Both FCM and TM both have less luck than Puerto Rico (where the goods that are turned over are random and mess with folks) and Power Grid (where I've more than once either won or lost by the power plant deck)

Still kicking myself that I was out of town and offline in December when funagain had it for ....

[Funagain] Food Chain Magnate $65 at Funagain games

this is only $15 more (plus sales tax since I'm in FL) so tempted...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Brodie17 wrote:

if you are buying this I would also recommend The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game, cool stuff has lowest price, $9.29 for it and like FCM, limit 1 per customer

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/227464

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got Pandemic Legacy, so I feel your pain....

This is the second time i've bought somthing that it's ended up going on sale right afterwards. The other one was those 'ashes' decks they had with their last mini sale. I'm to the point i'm ready to stop buying from them just becuase i'm tired of turning around a week later and seeing somthing i just got onsale. I miss the days of one big sale every few months and i could buy with confidence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just can't get past how ugly this game is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ledet
msg tools
mbmbmb
TheGreatHamEl wrote:

As in visually? It seems to have a very deliberate retro style reminiscent of fast food restaurants in the 50s and 60s. I'm more blown away that a game about managing fast food chains is selling for $110 MSRP. It sounds like an awesome game but that theme seems like the sort of thing you'd want at a more casual friendly price point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James E
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGreatHamEl wrote:

Maybe you should try playing board games instead of sleeping with them. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisplacedWorker wrote:
TheGreatHamEl wrote:

Maybe you should try playing board games instead of sleeping with them. whistle

No need to be salty, mate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A P
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
mb
You can give the game a try online. I play it with a few friends and it is enjoyable. The game is really unforgiving, however. If you screw up, it has a profound impact on not just your game, but the other people counting on you to play competently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.