Subject: Easy DIY Set rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mack C
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Not being sure if Tak will really be a game for me, I didn't want to spend a lot of time/effort/money on a set to try it out. After racking my brain a while to think of something easy to use, I finally got it. I have a certain kind of thrift store game magic about me that allows me to find many of them used. Munchkin, Set, Blokus, Travel Blokus, King of Tokyo, a signed copy of Say Anything, even a copy of Forbidden Island in Hebrew. One that seems to pop up the most is Qwirkle.

Qwirkle tiles are nearly perfect. They stack, stand on edge, make a great clack on the board, and just have a very satisfying feel to them. They can fall over just a bit easier than I'd like though, but nothing too bad. I spray painted one set silver and the other black (just had to do the symbol side). The capstones I went with are 1' wood blocks for crafting, also found at the thrift store. I took a drill and dremel to 'em and carved two small trenches splitting the top into four squares. I also put some earlier versions if you don't want to have to deal with all that: Gluing three tiles into an I-beam and gluing an upright tile to a flat (which I only just now realize is a terrible design).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a nice set my friend, welcome to Tak. Two questions though

- Did you like it finally? This information is missing from your post

- What did Qwirkle do to you? I find it quite fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mack C
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
I still haven't played it! I've just been on a game crafting spree lately, trying different methods of printing cards for PnP, making small cards for a travel version of Onitama played with Looney Pyramids, etc etc.

Ha! As for Qwirkle, it has not wronged me in any way, I just find tons of copies in thrift stores. I picked up my copy for $3 and the tiles still had the plastic. Found a copy for a buck last week and figured I'd pick it up for a friend. The copy I used for this set was $2 and was just the tiles in a plastic bag.

I'm usually not into longer abstract strategy games, but I love the Kingkiller Chronicles so I gotta try Tak. I fear they will burn my brain out. I also get AP pretty bad. I haven't extensively played many abstracts in general, but I'm currently wearing out my copies of Santorini and Onitama so I may have a theme going. I'm going to start with some 3x3 and 4x4 games games and go from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Courtney
United States
Guilford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote from the Companion Book, page9, Basic Strategy: "3x3 is
actually a little weird, so most people learn on 4x4." I'd avoid the 3x3 lest the "little weird" turn you off from a wonderful game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed Courtney wrote:
actually a little weird, so most people learn on 4x4." I'd avoid the 3x3 lest the "little weird" turn you off from a wonderful game.

I use it to explain the game. I start with 3x3 without towers, walls and, of course, capstones.

This is just to explain the road concept and the victory by flat. Then I add the towers.

After that 4x4 with walls and then we move to 5x5 with the capstone.

10 minutes from zero to Tak Player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mack C
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Ed Courtney wrote:

Good to know, Ed. Thanks for the heads up. I can imagine 3x3 being a bit odd to play. I'll start with 4x4.

capricorn_tm wrote:
I use it to explain the game. I start with 3x3 without towers, walls and, of course, capstones.

This is just to explain the road concept and the victory by flat. Then I add the towers.

After that 4x4 with walls and then we move to 5x5 with the capstone.

10 minutes from zero to Tak Player.

Veeeery interesting way to teach. I fancy myself pretty good at teaching games but always looking to improve. Since I'm new myself I'll probably go straight into a 4x4 without capstones.

And color me stupid, but what do you mean by 'towers'? Is that another term for stacks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does "no towers" mean "no movement" - or maybe movement but limited to adjacent empty spaces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

mackerous wrote:

And color me stupid, but what do you mean by 'towers'? Is that another term for stacks?

Indeed I meant stack. I Do not know why I called them towers honestly. Sorry about the misunderstanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:
Does "no towers" mean "no movement" - or maybe movement but limited to adjacent empty spaces?

No , no, it means exactly what I wrote. I do not introduce the uses of stacks till the basic mouvement is done.

Those are of course not the correct rules of the game, but since it takes three clock minutes for the first run it is acceptable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
capricorn_tm wrote:
gillum wrote:

No , no, it means exactly what I wrote. I do not introduce the uses of stacks till the basic mouvement is done.

Those are of course not the correct rules of the game, but since it takes three clock minutes for the first run it is acceptable.

I believe that the only way to form a "tower" (when the board currently has none) is to move a single stone on top of an adjacent one.

If you want to start with a variant that disallows towers, I think that the way you do this is to say that you can only move a stone if it is going into an adjacent empty space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:

If you want to start with a variant that disallows towers, I think that the way you do this is to say that you can only move a stone if it is going into an adjacent empty space.

Again, this is not a variation, it is just my routine to explain the game to new people. I introduce stacks only once the concepts of

* Put down a stone
* Move a stone
* Create a road
* Victory by flat

are clear.

THEN I explain the stacks. This usually happens at minute 1:45 after I started explaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mack C
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
capricorn_tm wrote:

mackerous wrote:

Indeed I meant stack. I Do not know why I called them towers honestly. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

I actually kinda like 'towers'. It also goes quite well with the design of my capstones. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice idea! Where did you get the cloth chess board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mack C
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Bernaar wrote:
Nice idea! Where did you get the cloth chess board?

Thanks! The chess board bandana was an awesome stretch goal for Pyramid Arcade (Looney pyramids/Icehouse pyramids). I keep it in my every day bag along with this convenient tin that holds 3 trios of 4 different colors and is incredibly satisfying to see how well they nestle in. It can also hold a Pyramid Die, so combined with the game boards I printed and stuck on the top and bottom, I can play at least 8 different games that I already know how to play (and tons more that I don't know yet). Oh, I also shoehorned a set of homemade cards in there so I can play my newest obsession, Onitama. Does this stop me from also carrying Love Letter, Sixes, Avignon, and Mint Works in my bag also? Of course not, don't be silly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mack C
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
I made the old capstones a bit taller as well as making two near ones in a whole new style. The black ones are looking a little rough. Part of it's the lighting, part of it is that they're rough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.