Ken Shoda
Japan
Zushi
Kanagawa
flag msg tools
designer
mb
For me, Indigo is best for 2.
If you agree with me, you should try Pure Abstract Strategy Game variant.
So there will be no hidden information.

For the set up, each player receives exactly half the tiles of the same combinations. Since there are 54 tiles total with 5 types and all have even number of tiles (14 or 6), each player receive 27 tiles (7 or 3 each for 5 types). Now each player make 5 face-up piles in front of him/her.

When the game starts, just play any one of the tiles you have!

I finally tried this variant and it is great. I think this is the way I like the game now. Here is a picture of the actual game after several turns. Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure it works. As the game is, the role of luck is already rather low (especially with 2 tiles in hand). It is also clear that without random element the game becomes solvable, but it offers enough variety that it might last quite long before you reach that solution. But I prefer having that low luck level here, as it adds some tension, some variety, some surprise element.
It's a bit like in case of Genesis - I guess even Genesis would work without the dice (which still keep the luck level very low) but I prefer having that low luck element in that game as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shoda
Japan
Zushi
Kanagawa
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Laszlo, thank you for your comment!

I didn't think about the game being solvable. I first just wanted to separate the tile exactly the half and each player has a face-down pile of their own; however, my friend suggested to do everything open, so I did and it was quite good.

I don't think it is trivial to solve. There are quite a few choices for both the placement and the type of the tiles. As long as I cannot see the solution, it is ok and I will enjoy the game.

Genesis without dice! I have never thought of it! I might try it out.
Just choose any color of the tiles to place? I have to tweak the rule.

I have a feeling the it is less interesting than Indigo. But it is worth trying out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm not a strategy master so I'm sure I would not find 'the' solution for the game even if I played it 50 times this way

And yes, as in Genesis you only have 4 different tiles (per player) on a square grid where their orientation doesn't even matter I guess it might be less varied if played as a no-luck abstract.

By the way, Samurai might also work this way, but I'm not sure I would ever give that one a try
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.