Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be missing something.

Let's assume I have a large attack against one or two units.

Let's assume the odds are 4:1.

If there is one unit as the defender, that unit rolls against its effectiveness number, applying the modifier provided by the CRT.

If two units are the defender, they both do so (as do all attacking units).

1s are always good. 6s are always bad.

But if the defender is only one unit, the maximum the attacker can inflict is one flip/casualty?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ellsworth
United States
Morris
Illinois
flag msg tools
You are correct. Defensive fire really came into its own in the American Civil War, and a lot of generals hadn't quite learned how to deal with the increased accuracy and firepower of the current weapons. Defenders regularly inflicted more losses than they suffered. Of course, when the odds get to be overwhelming then the odds are that the majority of casualties will be only on the side of the underdog, but little is guaranteed in this system. When you attack a single unit, the heaviest loss that you can inflict is one step. Although the odds are fairly small, you can suffer two losses at 4:1 and potentially three at 3:1. It sounds bad, but in practice the modifiers generally mean that you have only a 3% chance of two losses at 4:1 and a 1 in 216 chance of three losses at 3:1 (if you're using units with a TER of 3 or better). On the other hand, 2 losses at 2:1 is a fairly common occurrence, especially if you're attacking with units on the lower end of the TER scale (Ricketts and the XI Corps, I'm looking at you!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I was just curious why destroying the single unit was not an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sutton
Australia
Moruya
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Don't forget the unit will be destroyed if it cannot retreat (because of EZOCs for example...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.