United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Breitbart-led right-wing media ecosystem altered broader media agenda

Quote:
THE 2016 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION SHOOK the foundations of American politics. Media reports immediately looked for external disruption to explain the unanticipated victory—with theories ranging from Russian hacking to “fake news.”

We have a less exotic, but perhaps more disconcerting explanation: Our own study of over 1.25 million stories published online between April 1, 2015 and Election Day shows that a right-wing media network anchored around Breitbart developed as a distinct and insulated media system, using social media as a backbone to transmit a hyper-partisan perspective to the world. This pro-Trump media sphere appears to have not only successfully set the agenda for the conservative media sphere, but also strongly influenced the broader media agenda, in particular coverage of Hillary Clinton.

[...]

The right-wing media was also able to bring the focus on immigration, Clinton emails, and scandals more generally to the broader media environment. A sentence-level analysis of stories throughout the media environment suggests that Donald Trump’s substantive agenda—heavily focused on immigration and direct attacks on Hillary Clinton—came to dominate public discussions.

[...]

Coverage of Clinton overwhelmingly focused on emails, followed by the Clinton Foundation and Benghazi. Coverage of Trump included some scandal, but the most prevalent topic of Trump-focused stories was his main substantive agenda item—immigration—and his arguments about jobs and trade also received more attention than his scandals.

[...]

What we find in our data is a network of mutually-reinforcing hyper-partisan sites that revive what Richard Hofstadter called “the paranoid style in American politics,” combining decontextualized truths, repeated falsehoods, and leaps of logic to create a fundamentally misleading view of the world.

The whole thing is fascinating. Highly recommend reading the whole thing, or at least skimming it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, at least you are reading.

The Truth eludes you because you have no love for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure...there were a lot of lies on the part of Hillary, and I'm proud the right-wing media helped correct the record.

Too bad it's not a fair and balanced media, but I'll take it if the alternatives are Fake News (CNN, MSNBC, HuffPo, DailyKos, Slate) or overly enthusiastic news (Breitbart).

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
Sure...there were a lot of lies on the part of Hillary, and I'm proud the right-wing media helped correct the record.

Too bad it's not a fair and balanced media, but I'll take it if the alternatives are Fake News (CNN, MSNBC, HuffPo, DailyKos, Slate) or overly enthusiastic news (Breitbart).

Ferret

As a control, might I ask if you include the BBC in the "fake news" set...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hankins
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:

That's as clear an example of the insulating effect of partisan bias as can be imagined. Their news is 'fake news', while yours is 'overly enthusiastic'.

For my own part, I'd say that any news media that can be fairly described as left-wing or right-wing is not to be trusted. Best to focus on news sources that aren't partisan at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer: I voted for Hillary.

I will say that I do find this fascinating, in that for years, conservatives have complained bitterly about the liberal/leftist bias of the mainstream media, only to see their complaints dismissed as unrealistic and preposterous. Now, some liberals are complaining about a clearly right-wing biased media source having influenced the most recent election. An impartial observer might be tempted to say turnabout is fair play. A concerned citizen might say that this simply signals an even darker future where none of us can be sure of the truth, because modern media, with its technology and clear departure from any moral or ethical anchor, can create whatever truth it desires, and none of us can discern reality from fiction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Disclaimer: I voted for Hillary.

I will say that I do find this fascinating, in that for years, conservatives have complained bitterly about the liberal/leftist bias of the mainstream media, only to see their complaints dismissed as unrealistic and preposterous. Now, some liberals are complaining about a clearly right-wing biased media source having influenced the most recent election. An impartial observer might be tempted to say turnabout is fair play. A concerned citizen might say that this simply signals an even darker future where none of us can be sure of the truth, because modern media, with its technology and clear departure from any moral or ethical anchor, can create whatever truth it desires, and none of us can discern reality from fiction.

Fox news isn't news. It is entertainment and a propaganda tool.

The lapping up of its product has forced, by the very need to chase after revenue dollars and eyeballs, other channels to warp from news to sensationalism.

But at its very heart, Fox isn't news. It just is triggering all the brain areas that make their target audience feel good about themselves, and thus forgetting about the details of their situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I listen to any newscast, I pretty much pick up bias or targeted comments, then cleanse them off - either from the conservative or progressive POV. It becomes even harder to be unbiased when an educated person is forced to deal with a dolt of a President, who has made an entire production of playing to the dirt under the barrel, while eschewing any responsibility for his actions.

He is just an dumb person propped up by privilege and luck. I wouldn't place him in charge of a Lemonade stand, because I just don't support stupid people. Then again, he is just a reflection of America.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:

Ferret

Oh is that the new right-wing term for bigotry and prejudice: "Enthusiasm"? You really must keep us informed of any updates from the alt right Ministry of Truth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:

There is no Truth. Only Spin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khalid Shabazz
United States
NYC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
I will say that I do find this fascinating, in that for years, conservatives have complained bitterly about the liberal/leftist bias of the mainstream media, only to see their complaints dismissed as unrealistic and preposterous.

Sure, the mainstream media has a bias, but to say it is liberal/leftist is laughable. It's pro-corporate like both parties. There was no ideological reason for the MSM to influence the election because either way they win: Clinton my have represented their corporate interests more, but Trump is just great for ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:

Ferret

So CNN and MSNBC are purveyors of fake news, but Breitbart is not? Good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
What was that line from an old Simon and Garfunkel song?

"A man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest"

Pretty much sums up modern media -- it isn't journalism any more from any side/viewpoint. It's propaganda.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jasonwocky wrote:
Sarxis wrote:

There was a governor in Judea a few years ago who had some questions about this very thing. Might want to look into it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontius_Pilate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khalid Shabazz
United States
NYC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:
jasonwocky wrote:
Sarxis wrote:

There was a governor in Judea a few years ago who had some questions about this very thing. Might want to look into it:

Trump's election prophesied in the bible?
Quote:
They make ready their tongue like a bow, to shoot lies; it is not by truth that they triumph in the land.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:
jasonwocky wrote:
Sarxis wrote:

I know that men have written a lot of stories about him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Promise me there won't be any squares at my funeral
mbmbmbmbmb
I do pilates if that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:

I this somehow a critique of the Columbia Journalism Review story I posted about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.