Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Carrington
United States
APO
ARMED FORCES AMERICA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always enjoyed board games and had a few generic/classic ones lying around (Risk and Monopoly) . Every once in a while I would find a friend or two who would have some games and I would join a game night here and there. I always enjoyed game nights but never had the games myself.

Roughly a year ago, a KickStarter campaign (Santorini) caught my eye and for some reason I had to back it. I now have a slight KickStarter addiction with 15 games backed to date. Currently, I am eagerly awaiting Unfair with Family Plot and Orphans to arrive soon after. I have also started researching and buying old games. My most recent purchase was 7 Wonders: Duels which I am super happy with. I also traded for Takenoko which I also really like.

I am eager to increase my collection with games I really want to play. I do have specific criteria for games though. First, I still don't have a regular game group so I don't do complex games. Even if I did have a group, I think I would shy away from complex games because of the time it takes. Because I have a lot going on, I don't play games as much as I'd like. So when I do play games I want to get in as many games as possible. I want my games to play in under an hour (maybe 1.5 if the game is really good). Probably most important is that I like games that are easy to learn and teach.

Finally, I am trying to include my 11 year old in my games and to a lesser extent my 8 year old. I really want my 11 year old to get into my games. We enjoy Forbidden Island and Sushi Go. They also seem to really like my latest KickStarter, Nightmarium. A good solo game would also be good as sometimes I can't get anyone to play with me. I am hoping Summit will be a great solo and multi-player games.

Based on my criteria, does anyone have any suggestions for games (KickStarter included) I should add to my collection. Also, I am looking to add a couple of slightly more complex games for a time when I do have some serious gamers to play with. I'd still like the games to play in 1 to 2 hours. I have been eyeballing Above and Below for a while now. What do you all think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
This site needs a forum where we can put the faux offended so we can ignore them.
mbmbmbmbmb

Have 30 bag for an avatar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Isle of Skye. It's simple to learn and teach, but it has a lot of replayability and plays in an hour or less. My lunch group has been loving it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
jcarring wrote:
I now have a slight KickStarter addiction with 15 games backed to date.

I have also started researching and buying old games. My most recent purchase was 7 Wonders: Duels which I am super happy with. I also traded for Takenoko which I also really like.

I am eager to increase my collection with games I really want to play.

Stop that. Stop ordering things on kickstarter. The games you get will be poorly play-tested, badly designed, over-produced, and probably more complex than you really need.

And do not refer to a really new game like 7 Wonders as 'old'. Buccaneer is old, 7 Wonders is barely out of diapers.

I would suggest you buy a few games that have really stood the test of time. Amongst newer games Dominion is a sensible place to start. Given recent discussions of Euros I would suggest Carcassonne or Ra, and possibly Ticket to Ride (the American map, I don't particularly like it but it works very well with none gamers). If you want an older game from the dark days of the 80s, I would suggest Cosmic Encounters (again not a personal favourite but its a good game, plays relatively fast, and seems to go down well with people who have not played a lot). Most games older than that tend to play on the long side.

More than anything I would suggest playing more than buying. If you have a limited supply of gaming partners you will find them drying up pretty fast if you keep switching games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few that are good with 2 or 3 players and not too complex:
Machi Koro: Deluxe Edition or just get Machi Koro and Machi Koro Harbour expansion. The base game by itself is a bit basic.

Carcassonne
Alhambra
King of Tokyo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Carrington
United States
APO
ARMED FORCES AMERICA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tel999 wrote:

Have 30 bag for an avatar.

Thanks!!! I guess my BGG profile needs just as much work as my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play games with my 12 year old brother and his current favorite is Mechs vs. Minions. It's a fantastic cooperative programming game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Carrington
United States
APO
ARMED FORCES AMERICA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goatcabin wrote:
I recommend Isle of Skye. It's simple to learn and teach, but it has a lot of replayability and plays in an hour or less. My lunch group has been loving it.

Looks like a winner. Added to my list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jade Knight
United States
Upper Valley
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Dominion. Tsuro of the Seas is also a great light game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Splendor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B K
United States
flag msg tools
Sounds like you will have some fun. Definitely good if you can include the family. I will also say, if you expose an 8 year old to board games of increasing complexity, from experience you will probably be very positively surprised what they can handle. I also agree with another poster, if you are new to the hobby, no need to risk kickstarter. Plenty of great games you can watch a playthrough and read a review to see if it is what you are looking for. Everyone of those games mentioned below are much better than the average quality game that will be released in 2017 (from kickstarter or otherwise).

For short games, under 30 minutes, take a look at:

1. For Sale
2. No Thanks
3. Age of War

All family members like each. In fact, everyone I play For Sale with likes it. All very simple to understand and play.

If you want a bit more complexity, other favorites for my 8 and up include:

1. Mice and Mystics (light tactical combat with great fairy tale story wrapped around it)
2. King of Tokyo (mentioned by someone as well)
3. Adventurers (I think you can still get Pyramid of Horus)
4. Run Fight or Die (with caveat for Theme you may not find appropriate)
5. Arcadia Quest (I feel I should put this on because it is absolutely my 8 year olds favorite game, but do your diligence, there are a number of things you may not find appropriate for that age and I have had to swap out miniatures and cross out minor language on cards I know he hears but don't want to reinforce.)
6. Forbidden Desert - Sequel to Forbidden Island
7. Castle Panic - We have played this out, but a very good game for that age group

jcarring wrote:
I have always enjoyed board games and had a few generic/classic ones lying around (Risk and Monopoly) . Every once in a while I would find a friend or two who would have some games and I would join a game night here and there. I always enjoyed game nights but never had the games myself.

Roughly a year ago, a KickStarter campaign (Santorini) caught my eye and for some reason I had to back it. I now have a slight KickStarter addiction with 15 games backed to date. Currently, I am eagerly awaiting Unfair with Family Plot and Orphans to arrive soon after. I have also started researching and buying old games. My most recent purchase was 7 Wonders: Duels which I am super happy with. I also traded for Takenoko which I also really like.

I am eager to increase my collection with games I really want to play. I do have specific criteria for games though. First, I still don't have a regular game group so I don't do complex games. Even if I did have a group, I think I would shy away from complex games because of the time it takes. Because I have a lot going on, I don't play games as much as I'd like. So when I do play games I want to get in as many games as possible. I want my games to play in under an hour (maybe 1.5 if the game is really good). Probably most important is that I like games that are easy to learn and teach.

Finally, I am trying to include my 11 year old in my games and to a lesser extent my 8 year old. I really want my 11 year old to get into my games. We enjoy Forbidden Island and Sushi Go. They also seem to really like my latest KickStarter, Nightmarium. A good solo game would also be good as sometimes I can't get anyone to play with me. I am hoping Summit will be a great solo and multi-player games.

Based on my criteria, does anyone have any suggestions for games (KickStarter included) I should add to my collection. Also, I am looking to add a couple of slightly more complex games for a time when I do have some serious gamers to play with. I'd still like the games to play in 1 to 2 hours. I have been eyeballing Above and Below for a while now. What do you all think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Jensen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
board games!
Woo hoo, board games!

Check out this Optimum Game Selection Tool on BGG. I have it bookmarked in my Quickbar (all those [+] at the top right of the page are editable bookmarks, in case you haven't discovered that yet. It took me forever to realize that.)

What are your feelings about combative games? I think that X-Wing is a fun game for a family. It's a 2-player game, but can also be played in teams. Yes, if you're a serious tournament player who buys every ship, it is crazy expensive. However, there is lots to enjoy with a small collection, and it provides a go-to birthday present (a new ship) for years to come. Also, it's really easy to leave out a few of the "extra" rules to simplify the game for young ones (e.g. play without the upgrade cards so that there are less things to track).

And if Above and Below appeals to you, see if you can try it out at a Friendly Local Game Store. Is it the story aspect that appeals to you? I haven't played it yet, but folks are raving about Arkham Horror: the card game. Here's the Shut Up & Sit Down review. (Fair warning: when they get excited, they get REALLY excited.)

Also, if you want something else cooperative with the kids, check out FUSE. It's a real-time game played in 10 minutes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Clark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Board Games have always been a part of my life, but I also recently started my own collection. Here are a few of my recommendations.

Biblios
Splendor
Imhotep
Lost Cities
Sheriff of Nottingham
Tokaido
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Carrington
United States
APO
ARMED FORCES AMERICA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bk375 wrote:
Sounds like you will have some fun. Definitely good if you can include the family. I will also say, if you expose an 8 year old to board games of increasing complexity, from experience you will probably be very positively surprised what they can handle. I also agree with another poster, if you are new to the hobby, no need to risk kickstarter. Plenty of great games you can watch a playthrough and read a review to see if it is what you are looking for. Everyone of those games mentioned below are much better than the average quality game that will be released in 2017 (from kickstarter or otherwise).

For short games, under 30 minutes, take a look at:

1. For Sale
2. No Thanks
3. Age of War

All family members like each. In fact, everyone I play For Sale with likes it. All very simple to understand and play.

If you want a bit more complexity, other favorites for my 8 and up include:

1. Mice and Mystics (light tactical combat with great fairy tale story wrapped around it)
2. King of Tokyo (mentioned by someone as well)
3. Adventurers (I think you can still get Pyramid of Horus)
4. Run Fight or Die (with caveat for Theme you may not find appropriate)
5. Arcadia Quest (I feel I should put this on because it is absolutely my 8 year olds favorite game, but do your diligence, there are a number of things you may not find appropriate for that age and I have had to swap out miniatures and cross out minor language on cards I know he hears but don't want to reinforce.)
6. Forbidden Desert - Sequel to Forbidden Island
7. Castle Panic - We have played this out, but a very good game for that age group

Awesome. I have some research to do. I am sure some of these will be future purchases. I have had my eye on Mice and Mystics for a bit. I was hoping one of the few gamers had it to play but unfortunately not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Kneeland
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World is a massive hit in my family and friends.

I like Pandemic and to a lesser, Forbidden Island / Desert. Co-op builds teamwork, and everyone can win / lose together.

Escape Curse of the Temple is hilarious fun, and only 10 minutes! Real time is a special kind of stress, and worth it!

Survive is also a fun choice as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Hauser
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can agree with a lot of these suggestions. I play a lot with my 12 year old daughter and she has no problems at all with the games.

Carccassonne I would definitely recommend. There are a few variants and I happen to like the Hunters and Gatherers version.

A few older games that might be of interest are Settlers of Catan and Dungeon. I also love Roborally, but it may be a bit longer than you are looking for.

Some newer ones that I think fit your criteria are Evolution and World's Fair 1893. Both are easy to learn, have great graphics and play in an hour or so.

A good solo game that is really new is One Deck Dungeon.

Enjoy the new hobby!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Carrington
United States
APO
ARMED FORCES AMERICA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertBr wrote:

Stop that. Stop ordering things on kickstarter. The games you get will be poorly play-tested, badly designed, over-produced, and probably more complex than you really need.

And do not refer to a really new game like 7 Wonders as 'old'. Buccaneer is old, 7 Wonders is barely out of diapers.

I will try to kick the KS habit as I am now seeking out proven games. Old was definitely not the correct term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Long
United States
Auburn
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to many of the excellent recommendations herein, I would add a few favorites from my 9-year-old's collection (he's already an old pro):

Mystic Vale (his current favorite)
Blueprints
Broom Service
Catacombs (third edition)
Eight-Minute Empire: Legends
Kingsburg
Tobago

And our 6-year-old's current favorite is a great deckbuilder:
Super Motherload
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Long
United States
Auburn
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jcarring wrote:
RobertBr wrote:

I will try to kick the KS habit as I am now seeking out proven games. Old was definitely not the correct term.

But 7 Wonders can certainly be referred to as a modern classic.

And I would absolutely not poo-poo Kickstarter altogether. I've only backed a handful of games, and only after vetting them, but they are absolutely not poorly play-tested, badly designed, or too complex for my needs. Over-produced? Maybe a few of them, but that's why I Kickstarted them (for the shiny bits). Would I caution someone from over-backing on KS? Absolutely. But, in the same breath, I would strongly advocate for researching before backing. If a KS game strikes your fancy, and the research plays, I say back it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Pritchett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion is a try before you buy game. I really disliked it although I can see why many people like it, I could not see my 11 year old playing this and enjoying it and I don't see it as an easy game to get into either. Instead a good deck builder that an 11 year old might like is Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle. Both me and my son really enjoyed this one and is one that I would recommend for starting into deck builders with younger people and it is a coop too. lots of other good games mentioned above. Imhotep would be a really good starting game everyone seems to enjoy this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Carrington
United States
APO
ARMED FORCES AMERICA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow!!! Thanks everyone. I didn't expect that many responses. I do expect to purchase a few of them in the coming months.

One KS I missed that I can't get out of my mind. Heroes of Normandie: Tactical card game. Thoughts? Wait it out, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Carrington
United States
APO
ARMED FORCES AMERICA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheImp wrote:
Dominion is a try before you buy game. I really disliked it although I can see why many people like it, I could not see my 11 year old playing this and enjoying it and I don't see it as an easy game to get into either. Instead a good deck builder that an 11 year old might like is Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle. Both me and my son really enjoyed this one and is one that I would recommend for starting into deck builders with younger people and it is a coop too. lots of other good games mentioned above. Imhotep would be a really good starting game everyone seems to enjoy this one.

I've actually played Dominion and I don't like it. The people I've played with say the card choices has been bad, making for less than fun games but I soured on it after about 5 plays.

I think Harry Potter may be a winner. Co-op and my kids like Harry Potter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Spears
United States
Athens
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Research is key. For me, the biggest part was finding (video) reviewers that seemed to have the same taste in games. For the games listed you're interested in, be sure to check out the video reviews section and see if there's someone who's style you like, and if so check out other games they review.

For example, I love the style of the Watch It Played videos (https://www.youtube.com/user/WatchItPlayed - sorry, can't remember Rodney's BGG link) as both tutorial and just how he comes across. Some people like these, some don't.

It's also ok not to like a game everyone else raves on about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McGuire
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djn1981 wrote:
Here are a few that are good with 2 or 3 players and not too complex:
Machi Koro: Deluxe Edition or just get Machi Koro and Machi Koro Harbour expansion. The base game by itself is a bit basic.

...but still fun for a reasonable number of plays.

Quote:

Agreed, agreed and "disagree but not enough to argue about".

wren08 wrote:

Agreed. This is a good game for 2, 3 or 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.