Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Fight

This game is a submission to the 2017 Two-Player Print and Play Game Design Contest

The idea for the game came when I tried to do a super minimal game - a nano game.
The game is made of 3 cards where one of the cards is actually cut into all the components needed.

Each player has 3 spaceships and the goal is to eliminate your opponents spaceships.

Link to the website with the files: http://ycyclopgames.com/Space-fight.php
Link to Game Rules: http://ycyclopgames.com/documents/MicroGames/SpacefightsV1.p...
Link to cards pdf: http://ycyclopgames.com/documents/MicroGames/CardsPage.pdf

sneak peak of the cards:

Submitting for the following categories:
Best Game to Play with Your Child
Best Casual/Gateway Game
Best Game with Language Independent Components
Best New Mechanic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hi Gilad, welcome to the contest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Fuhrman
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks interesting! the links aren't working for me, though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSaturn17 wrote:
Looks interesting! the links aren't working for me, though...

Please check again. I've tested the links on several machines and they worked correctly.
Worst case scenario please enter my website:
http://ycyclopgames.com/
and under the menu item "projects in process" find "Space fight" page and from there get the pages

Thank you for looking into the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mb
PLAYTESTER SPOT PRIZES

This game is eligible for a playtester spot prize for the next week!

See this post for more details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mb
PLAYTESTER SPOT PRIZES

Since no feedback was placed last week, I have carried this game over. It is eligible for a playtester spot prize for an additional week!

See this post for more details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie A.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I love the micro design! I printed it blown up so I can have extra-large pieces, though. I'm planning on playtesting this hopefully tonight, and if not tonight, then definitely over the weekend!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie A.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I have a question about the attacking rules. It says this:
"Attack: Sum all attacks – all shield = num of shields to reduce."

If only 2 ships can attack at a time, and there is only 1 extra attack token per player, does that mean that the most damage that a single turn can deal to an opponent's ship is 3? Because if all ships start with full shield (4 for the side ships, 5 for the middle), I don't understand how the math would work out—3 - 4 = -1

Or is there some way to do more damage that I'm missing?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alamantus wrote:
I have a question about the attacking rules. It says this:
"Attack: Sum all attacks – all shield = num of shields to reduce."

If only 2 ships can attack at a time, and there is only 1 extra attack token per player, does that mean that the most damage that a single turn can deal to an opponent's ship is 3? Because if all ships start with full shield (4 for the side ships, 5 for the middle), I don't understand how the math would work out—3 - 4 = -1

Or is there some way to do more damage that I'm missing?

Thanks!

I need to rephrase the words in the rules: All shields = all shields actions that are placed on the ship.

Thank you for pointing this out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie A.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
ycyclop wrote:

I need to rephrase the words in the rules: All shields = all shields actions that are placed on the ship.

Thank you for pointing this out

So just to be sure I understand:
I play 2 attacks on a ship, and my opponent plays 1 shield on the same ship, trying to fix their ship. In that case I'd do 1 damage to the ship?

And if the opponent tried to use shield and I don't attack their ship, then their ship restores 1 shield?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alamantus wrote:

So just to be sure I understand:
I play 2 attacks on a ship, and my opponent plays 1 shield on the same ship, trying to fix their ship. In that case I'd do 1 damage to the ship?

And if the opponent tried to use shield and I don't attack their ship, then their ship restores 1 shield?

Thanks!

Yes, correct. I'll upload a correct rephrased rules this weekend

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New updated rules and components that explain the shield issue and add "fix" token.
This is the only way to fix your shield which makes the game quicker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hi Gilad, can you please edit your top post to indicate which contest categories you wish to enter. Thanks, JK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IrishCyborg
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, just played this over, nice game overall.

Captain! We're outnumbered!
I jumbo sized my parts and used 1cm cubes for shields/energy.

Space fight had a really good battle system, with players struggling to decide to pull up shields, concentrate fire, or regaining energy.

I think some form of a board could improve this game, but that could also just be a different game. Plus, I'm biased, because I don't much like non-board games.

Notes

The game could possibly benefit from a bit of randomness, as it gets to something of a stalemate later on in the game.

Question time!

The 6 extra action tiles (without a ship), the rulebook doesn't seem to mention them, when can you use those? I used them as bonus actions, playing them as well as the regular action.

Space Fight as a name seems a bit boring, maybe Star Fight?

Overall, I enjoyed playing Space Fight quite a bit, it's quick and easy to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for taking the time and playing my game

The six extra action tokens are mentioned in the rule book:

"Player also select for 2 out of 3 ships an extra action out of the 3 extra actions by placing the action
under the ship. If the player has only one ship left he can select only one extra action"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van der Lee
Netherlands
Bussum
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Wanted to test this game, but there are a lot of things in the rules I don't understand, to the point that I don't think I'd be playing the game as intended.
Could you please clarify?

* Some ship actions are to be performed only by the left/right or middle ship; can I still place these actions on another ship? For instance, can I place the "Middle ship attacks left/right ships" ship action token on the left or right ship, or must it be placed on the middle ship?
* What does the rectangle (as opposed to circle and hexagon) extra action token do? I guess it will attack, but attack which ship? Does this depend on the ship action token for the ship with that extra action token?
* For the extra action token with shiled/energize; do I increase both or choose one?
* Why does the circle extra action token not have a "+" in it; does it increase by one or upto maximum?
* What happens if both players lose their last ship in the same turn? Who wins/loses? Is it a draw?
* "Only 2 out of 3 ships can fire, including extra action"; so only 2 ships can fire, but one of those two could fire twice if using the extra action?
* Which color is energy, which is shield? I gather it doesn't matter for the game, but it'd be nice if the manual offered some guidance.
* I assume the energy bars reach from level 1 to 4 or 5, not from level 0 to 3 or 4?
* I think markers should be individual squares, rather than the dual-colored rectangle that the components overview in the manual implies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
* Some ship actions are to be performed only by the left/right or middle ship; can I still place these actions on another ship? For instance, can I place the "Middle ship attacks left/right ships" ship action token on the left or right ship, or must it be placed on the middle ship?

Each ship has its own action marker (and the drawing of the ship shows which ship can use it, so no you can't place the middle ship action on the left/right ship)

Quote:
* What does the rectangle (as opposed to circle and hexagon) extra action token do? I guess it will attack, but attack which ship? Does this depend on the ship action token for the ship with that extra action token?

The rectangle is indeed an attack to the ship in front of the ship using it.

Quote:
* For the extra action token with shiled/energize; do I increase both or choose one?

Choose one and this is done after the attack is done so you can see the result of your attack

Quote:
* Why does the circle extra action token not have a "+" in it; does it increase by one or upto maximum?

Increase shield value by ONE.

Quote:
* What happens if both players lose their last ship in the same turn? Who wins/loses? Is it a draw?

It is a tie

Quote:
* "Only 2 out of 3 ships can fire, including extra action"; so only 2 ships can fire, but one of those two could fire twice if using the extra action?

Yes, a ship can fire twice using the extra action. and yes, only two ships can fire.

Quote:
* Which color is energy, which is shield? I gather it doesn't matter for the game, but it'd be nice if the manual offered some guidance.

True, my mistake. In early version there was a line and somehow it was erased. Yellow is energy and blue is shield (you can see that in the blue circle with the plus that increases the shield).

Quote:
* I assume the energy bars reach from level 1 to 4 or 5, not from level 0 to 3 or 4?

Correct. Range is from 1-4/5 and when shield reaches 0 the ship is lost.

Quote:
* I think markers should be individual squares, rather than the dual-colored rectangle that the components overview in the manual implies?

The components are individual. I can see how it can be understood in the rules that they are dual-colored. I don't think that at this stage I'm allowed to change the rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van der Lee
Netherlands
Bussum
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick answers!

I just finished played a game:

Components
* I like that this game requires few components
Manual
* I found using some cubes made it a lot easier to play, but that should be obvious. Perhaps mention that people can instead use 6 cubes in the manual.
* I understand the ship actions are pretty much "attached" to a ship for the duration of a game; they don't, just rotate. The manual can definitely make some things clearer.
* In practice, I found it easier to view the resolution as two separate phases. First phase; lower shields and energy. Second phase; raise shields and energy. As far as I can tell this has the exact same result, but is easier to manage.
Rules
* Once you explained it, the rules were pretty easy.
Gameplay
* Gameplay is pretty short, which is nice.
* With the ability to deal 3 damage to a single ship each turn the inability to heal ships once they go below, it's pretty easy to team up on one ship and finish it, without an ability to defend it. Perhaps have more shield points on the ships or allow raising shields from negative?
* There's not a whole lot of choice and I found it settling into a predictable pattern. I wish there were more options available to change up gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
* With the ability to deal 3 damage to a single ship each turn the inability to heal ships once they go below, it's pretty easy to team up on one ship and finish it, without an ability to defend it. Perhaps have more shield points on the ships or allow raising shields from negative?

the middle ship is attacked with 3 damage but can use 2 shields. so 1 damage is inflicted but 3 energy is used, this means not an affective turns if I guessed this is your move. This means next turns you'll need to waste time getting energy back instead of attacking or defending while I can attack. So I'm not sure this is the best attack every turn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.