Recommend
19 
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Planet Apocalypse» Forums » News

Subject: So this is a thing now. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Petersen Games' next original product is slated to be Planet Apocalypse. We are planning to roll it out in a crowdfunding campaign this fall, after all the miniature sculpts, art, testing, and game is finished and what we call "China-Ready" meaning it goes to print as soon as we get the money, and then will be shipped out to our backers post-haste.

Frequently Asked Questions Answered:

1) yes, it's ONLY co-op.

2) it is theoretically 2-5 players, but you can totally play it solo simply by controlling 2+ heroes.

3) the price is not final, but is way less than Cthulhu Wars.

4) at this time, the game lasts about 30 minutes per player on the base map. There are 5 other maps, some of which take more calculation.

5) the figures are going to be amazing. The humans & small enemies are 28mm scale on 25mm bases. The biggest figures (like the Pulgasaur) are on 50mm bases.

Two Cool Things About This Game

A person can show up at your table, and jump right into a game in progress. I've never done a game which allowed this before, and am pretty excited about how well it works. Sadly, if a person leaves, the same is not true, and someone will have to run the absentee's hero (not hard though).

There is a campaign! The six maps are intended to be played in order, showing the progress of Armageddon. You do not necessarily play the same hero in the different stages of the campaign, but instead build upon previous success.


34 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
House of Cards
United States
Abingdon
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Haha. Very little was said about the game but call me intrigued.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've already budgeted for this AND OS3... So in deference to the epicness of OP, "<PLEASE BE QUIET> AND TAKE MY MONEY!"
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Thee Gravedigger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'm guessing this would make a good synergy goal; how the stat cards and such to use Cthulhu Wars minis in this game?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Merlo
Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can't wait for this and OS3. Must-haves from PG
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to playtest this almost a year ago, and it was a lot of fun. The mechanics for spawning demons were particularly impressive, as someone who's interested in the nitty gritty of that sort of thing
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drunken Boxer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of Cthulhu Wars(went all in on both Kickstarters) so very excited for this and especially for the much lower price point!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Fenwick
Australia
Newport
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I need to budget this in now too... It looks fantastic!
Damn you Petersen!!!:p
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Really it should not be terribly expensive at least by Petersen Games standards. The core game "only" has 29 figures. The game is designed to get the most out of its figure count.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy Petersen wrote:
Really it should not be terribly expensive at least by Petersen Games standards. The core game "only" has 29 figures. The game is designed to get the most out of its figure count.


As a painter, I'm actually grateful there're "only" 29 figures in the core box... I like being able to sit down and not crank 'em out, but to paint each mini to the best of my ability... and gaming with half-painted or not-painted minis really affects the experience for me, personally.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I am going to end up being a whipping boy for posting this but it's the reviewer in me.

I am curious about the replay potential with only 6 maps, do they randomize at all? Is there anything that will make a player want to head back into the game? Perhaps forking campaign path (which admittedly would require more than 6 maps I would imagine).

Is there a chance to stay with the same heroes throughout the campaign? I know one of the most frustrating things about the first mice and mystics was the campaign changed player number and required different heroes throughout the entire first adventure campaign which killed the immersion of the game quite a bit.

I think I understand that you will pick a different "Boss" each time you play which I assume means different AI for new challenges is the variety and replay potential based on playing the same scenarios versus new enemies?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay so here are all the ways in which the game is different every time.

1) Heroes: the characters you play are highly asymmetric. Playing the superstitious Indonesian martial artist doesn't feel like playing the depressed goth girl which in turn is pretty different from the Israeli-trained sniper lady. They even each have their own "tech trees" for upgrades.

2) Upgrades: the upgrades you get, and what they do, is differnet every game, and has a HUGE effect on play. There is a sizeable deck of gift cards which changes during play, and most of the cards won't come up in a single game. It's rare for a hero to even get all of his potential upgrades in a single game - I've only seen a player pull this off when the other players "fed" him disproportionately and thus starved their own advancement. But even that is an interesting decision which players won't always want to make.

3) Demon Spawning: the way the demons spawn means every game you get a different mix. This isn't a huge variable, BUT the 4th circle demons are Really Big Deals and they are different every game. A playthrough of the Doomgate map in which the Gadarene makes an appearance plays out quite differently than one with the Hellhound. The Gadarene has a huge effect when he spawns, messing up your ambush structure, and forcing the heroes to panic and run into spots they don't want to be. But once he's spawned, you could choose to avoid him. The Hellhound, on the other hand, shoots fireballs from a distance which means if he manages to pass through the Doomgate, he'll be bombarding you with his attack for a really long time, so you HAVE to kill him before that point. Your whole plan is distorted by your new need to kill the Hellhound, or else it was distorted because the Gadarene physically messed it up. And if you got the Magdalene instead or one of the others then there are new challenges and problems.

4) Demon Lords: obviously with over a dozen to choose from these change up the game. While you don't (usually) directly face them till near the game's end, you need to be building up for THIS particular final fight. Example: you may wish to sneak into the boss's chamber to pimp-slap the Pulgasaur and farm him for courage, then retreat when he grows too large. But you don't want to enter Argus's chamber until you are ready to jump in as a group and at least try to kill him that same round.

5) Demon Legions: the lesser demons belong to a specific Legion (named after geographic features of hell - the 5 rivers of hell are each a Legion, for instance), and this changes their characteristics. The legions change randomly at certain fixed times. Example: if the demons start as Phlegethon (who set you on fire when they attack), but then change to Styx (who fly) part way into the game, you have to react to this.

6) Maps: it's not just that there are six maps. The maps are arranged in an order, like a campaign. You are supposed to defeat the first map before moving onto the second, and so forth. The maps keep getting harder, so they may take longer to beat. There are multiple plays of each map before you finally win.

7) Regions: you get to pick what country you are facing the demons in, and this affects starting conditions & which troopers you have available. If you are in the UK for instance, you get Constables, British Army and SAS instead of Police, US Marines and Navy Seals, and they are different. In France you get Gendarmes, Paras, and Foreign Legion. Canada has Mounties. Etc.

8) Challenges: the game lets you ramp up the difficulty level if you want more of a challenge. This of course also affects game play. You can start with a "secret" boss for instance that isn't revealed until someone goes into his chamber and takes a peek. Or you can start with a 4th circle demon already in play.

The bottom line is that so far people haven't even gotten tired of playing the same basic first map again and again, though I force my group to play other maps as well because I need them tested.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy Petersen wrote:
Okay so here are all the ways in which the game is different every time.

1) Heroes: the characters you play are highly asymmetric. Playing the superstitious Indonesian martial artist doesn't feel like playing the depressed goth girl which in turn is pretty different from the Israeli-trained sniper lady. They even each have their own "tech trees" for upgrades.

2) Upgrades: the upgrades you get, and what they do, is differnet every game, and has a HUGE effect on play. There is a sizeable deck of gift cards which changes during play, and most of the cards won't come up in a single game. It's rare for a hero to even get all of his potential upgrades in a single game - I've only seen a player pull this off when the other players "fed" him disproportionately and thus starved their own advancement. But even that is an interesting decision which players won't always want to make.

3) Demon Spawning: the way the demons spawn means every game you get a different mix. This isn't a huge variable, BUT the 4th circle demons are Really Big Deals and they are different every game. A playthrough of the Doomgate map in which the Gadarene makes an appearance plays out quite differently than one with the Hellhound. The Gadarene has a huge effect when he spawns, messing up your ambush structure, and forcing the heroes to panic and run into spots they don't want to be. But once he's spawned, you could choose to avoid him. The Hellhound, on the other hand, shoots fireballs from a distance which means if he manages to pass through the Doomgate, he'll be bombarding you with his attack for a really long time, so you HAVE to kill him before that point. Your whole plan is distorted by your new need to kill the Hellhound, or else it was distorted because the Gadarene physically messed it up. And if you got the Magdalene instead or one of the others then there are new challenges and problems.

4) Demon Lords: obviously with over a dozen to choose from these change up the game. While you don't (usually) directly face them till near the game's end, you need to be building up for THIS particular final fight. Example: you may wish to sneak into the boss's chamber to pimp-slap the Pulgasaur and farm him for courage, then retreat when he grows too large. But you don't want to enter Argus's chamber until you are ready to jump in as a group and at least try to kill him that same round.

5) Demon Legions: the lesser demons belong to a specific Legion (named after geographic features of hell - the 5 rivers of hell are each a Legion, for instance), and this changes their characteristics. The legions change randomly at certain fixed times. Example: if the demons start as Phlegethon (who set you on fire when they attack), but then change to Styx (who fly) part way into the game, you have to react to this.

6) Maps: it's not just that there are six maps. The maps are arranged in an order, like a campaign. You are supposed to defeat the first map before moving onto the second, and so forth. The maps keep getting harder, so they may take longer to beat. There are multiple plays of each map before you finally win.

7) Regions: you get to pick what country you are facing the demons in, and this affects starting conditions & which troopers you have available. If you are in the UK for instance, you get Constables, British Army and SAS instead of Police, US Marines and Navy Seals, and they are different. In France you get Gendarmes, Paras, and Foreign Legion. Canada has Mounties. Etc.

8) Challenges: the game lets you ramp up the difficulty level if you want more of a challenge. This of course also affects game play. You can start with a "secret" boss for instance that isn't revealed until someone goes into his chamber and takes a peek. Or you can start with a 4th circle demon already in play.

The bottom line is that so far people haven't even gotten tired of playing the same basic first map again and again, though I force my group to play other maps as well because I need them tested.


Thank you Sandy, it sounds like as I thought the bad guys are the star of the show and not the maps themselves which is a departure from your standard "Dungeon Crawler" where the faceless bad guys are just an obstacle between the players and the next room.

I am not going to lie I would love to see more maps added (maybe stretch goals) but it doesn't appear that this will be a big factor in the over all final product.

Thanks for taking the time to answer,
Michael
Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, unlike Orcs Must Die the board game, for example, the focus is far more on what you are facing than the route you take to get there.

That said, the maps are all extremely different. In fact that's part of the reason there are only six - I am not trying to make trivial variations on a theme, but massive alterations each time.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Pacheco
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I dont know why but I'm getting a big Carnivale Zombie vibe from this project (tower defence elements, upgrades for heroes etc). Obviously this is only going from broad descriptions...Are there elements of that game in P.A?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always followed Peterson Games with an interest to jump in but have waited for Co-op as that tends to be my jam.

Super pumped for this and look forward to backing in the fall.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Lox
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like the added variable of the regions. More badass games need mounties!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is what the prototype mountie card looks like.\


Here is what the various parts of the card mean:

Absorb 2 - when used to take a hit for a hero, the Mountie can stop up to 2 damage. (If he takes only 1 damage, however, he is still eliminated. Medic! he yells. So in that case the player has a decision to make.

Ambush - the number on the left is how many Mounties are in the area in an ambush. The number on the left is what kind of attack dice they throw. So Mounties only ever roll 1 die, but it can go up to 1d10 if 4 Mounties are present.

Cost - this is how much a Mountie costs to Recruit.

Special Ability - not all troopers have one of these. Mounties do. I gave them the ability to reroll their ambush, to represent "always getting their man". This is, obviously, really useful, and makes Mounties one of the better troopers in the game, as they should be.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumsh wrote:
I am curious about the replay potential with only 6 maps, do they randomize at all? Is there anything that will make a player want to head back into the game? Perhaps forking campaign path (which admittedly would require more than 6 maps I would imagine).

I am curious about the apparent assumption behind this question: A game is only worth replaying if the setup is different each time. Is that what you meant to imply?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Barliman wrote:
Grumsh wrote:
I am curious about the replay potential with only 6 maps, do they randomize at all? Is there anything that will make a player want to head back into the game? Perhaps forking campaign path (which admittedly would require more than 6 maps I would imagine).

I am curious about the apparent assumption behind this question: A game is only worth replaying if the setup is different each time. Is that what you meant to imply?


Are you assuming I am blanket referencing all games or implying I am talking about the dungeon crawler genre specifically?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tayne Hunsaker
msg tools
Sandy does the army back up have miniatures or are the just hats like in the preview for the mounties
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Q) I'm getting a big Carnivale Zombie vibe from this project (tower defence elements, upgrades for heroes etc)
Sandy – and here I thought I was expanding on my own Orcs Must Die game. I have not played Carnivale Zombie so I can’t say.

Q) I've always followed Petersen Games with an interest to jump in but have waited for Co-op as that tends to be my jam.
Sandy – well Orcs Must Die was the first time I dipped my toe into the co-op pool (at least recently – I was the developer for Launius’s original 1987 Arkham Horror), and Planet Apocalypse is a lot more in-depth.

Q) does the army back up have miniatures?
Sandy – at this time they are just counters, because there are a lot of them, and it would be tough to distinguish US Marines vs. US Army vs. Bundeswehr vs. Natl Guard etc. With the demon types its easy because you soon memorize the four core critters, and when a 4th circle demon spawns, there’s only one. Usually at the moment he spawns, someone reads his description and then everyone is focused on killing (or avoiding) it.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You've got yourself a backer!
This game sounds fantastic!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumsh wrote:
Barliman wrote:
Grumsh wrote:
I am curious about the replay potential with only 6 maps, do they randomize at all? Is there anything that will make a player want to head back into the game? Perhaps forking campaign path (which admittedly would require more than 6 maps I would imagine).

I am curious about the apparent assumption behind this question: A game is only worth replaying if the setup is different each time. Is that what you meant to imply?

Are you assuming I am blanket referencing all games or implying I am talking about the dungeon crawler genre specifically?

Your answer clarifies that you were thinking of dungeon crawler games, which makes more sense, but still puzzles me. I'm not trying to be snide, I just don't understand where you're coming from. What games are you thinking of that are no fun doing a second time with the same set up? Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Barliman wrote:
Grumsh wrote:
Barliman wrote:
Grumsh wrote:
I am curious about the replay potential with only 6 maps, do they randomize at all? Is there anything that will make a player want to head back into the game? Perhaps forking campaign path (which admittedly would require more than 6 maps I would imagine).

I am curious about the apparent assumption behind this question: A game is only worth replaying if the setup is different each time. Is that what you meant to imply?

Are you assuming I am blanket referencing all games or implying I am talking about the dungeon crawler genre specifically?

Your answer clarifies that you were thinking of dungeon crawler games, which makes more sense, but still puzzles me. I'm not trying to be snide, I just don't understand where you're coming from. What games are you thinking of that are no fun doing a second time with the same set up? Thanks.


Monopoly

oh, wait. That's not fun the first time. nvm. laugh
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.