Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle of the Bulge ground unit training scenario.

December 1944
Hodges chose to double up behind the Meuse rather than spread his army along the Ardennes though this surrendered 2 hexes which count for a victory point each. Manteuffel attacked the Hurtgenwald and wiped out Monty's 2 corps with a good helping of luck. That was a shock but the Saar-land and Alsace have been left vulnerable. Patton and Bradley took full advantage, over-running the thin grey line and exploiting over the Rhine. XXX corps shifted south, joining the yanks whilst thinning Antwerp's garrison. The breach in the German line looks terrifying. I didn't consciously notice that airpower was grounded but only having 1 offensive limited me to attacking 2 hexes. Trying to avoid armour hits put me off breakthrough and exploitation attacks.

January 1945
Belgium was attacked in the hope of an automatic major victory so he could only make minor efforts to reform his front around Stuttgart. Antwerp fell* but thankfully he made no progress towards Brussels. Thus the allies are free to pursue their own plan. Monty squeezed through a gap and crossed the lower Rhine. 4 armoured corps attacked the Ruhr from behind then fanned out across Germany. The entire German army was cut off and Patton motored on to Berlin. All of that still only gets the allies a minor victory.

Thanks to Jon for a good game.

*Forgot about mud along the North Sea coast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing it's only a minor Victory because hmm... your only major port to get Sea Supply has been taken. Now the Soviets will thank you for conquering Berlin now would you mind leaving the premises, after all you have no fuel and no supply.

It looks like you were playing with my copy of the game. Eerie how the same chits seem to get worn with the same frequency. (My old copy I should say, I still own a mostly unpunched copy, but I seem to have misplaced the western map, oh well).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Antwerp is sadly back in German hands but I've gained Kiel in exchange. Brest and Marseilles are still mine and they each have more capacity than Antwerp. Excluding St Nazaire and Bordeaux my sea supply capacity has risen from 15 to 18 points. That can provide for 72 ground and air units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mean in game terms, I mean real world terms. Brest and Marseille are far from the front and Brest's port facilities demolished. Since the Allies bombed the French Railways everything is coming by truck (I.e. The red ball express) and that stretches the supply line badly, this caused the Allies no end of supply problems during the fall and early winter until they cleared the scheldt.

Capturing Kiel is good and much better but I would assume the Germans would similarly demolish the port facilities in similar vein to Brest. Or at least mine the area enough to make it unusable for quite some time.

The game doesn't really capture these logistical dynamics nor air interdiction. I'm assuming the victory conditions are meant to compensate for these deficiencies. And we'll it is a learning scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I take your point. In the real world I'd just got my trucks running from Antwerp and the mountain of supplies sitting by the docks would be lost. Having to walk back to the Elbe would be frustrating for Patton.

To get a major victory I needed to destroy 3 panzers but I only got 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Catanzaro
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colmenarez wrote:
I don't mean in game terms, I mean real world terms. Brest and Marseille are far from the front and Brest's port facilities demolished. Since the Allies bombed the French Railways everything is coming by truck (I.e. The red ball express) and that stretches the supply line badly, this caused the Allies no end of supply problems during the fall and early winter until they cleared the scheldt.

Capturing Kiel is good and much better but I would assume the Germans would similarly demolish the port facilities in similar vein to Brest. Or at least mine the area enough to make it unusable for quite some time.

The game doesn't really capture these logistical dynamics nor air interdiction. I'm assuming the victory conditions are meant to compensate for these deficiencies. And we'll it is a learning scenario.

in 2011 we created a few house rules (see the file section)
the one about destruction of installation is:

Installation destruction by land units during movement phase
Add to 30.1:
Infantry and Armor units can automatically destroy an installation at the end of its movement phase if the unit was not activated during the turn, does not use rail movement, and ends the movement phase in the installation that should be destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.