Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nestor Ivanor
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are your favorite games to play solo?

I have mage knight but setup and gameplay takes too long for what I'm looking for in a solo game.

I also have onirim which I enjoy but I'm looking to add something else for solo play.

I would like something that is easy to bring to the table. Game length is not that big of a concern but I would say anywhere from 15 to 60 minutes.

Recommend games you have actually played solo.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nivanor wrote:
What are your favorite games to play solo?

My favorite solo games are Freedom: The Underground Railroad, Castellion, Shephy, and Elevenses for One. All offer great puzzles that I never tire of.

~V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For 'Easy to get to the Table' I suggest:
- One Deck Dungeon
- Oh My Goods!: Longsdale in Revolt
- Friday
- The Bloody Inn
- Roll Player
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
I recently (aka yesterday) decided to finally start working through Galaxy Defenders myself. Not exactly an easy to setup (or play in the sense there is a lot going on for one person to track) so that might not be the best recommendation Previously though I've played:

- Warfighter: The WWII Tactical Combat Card Game, which can also be a pain to setup but frankly picking and outfitting the squad can be part of the fun.

- Hostage Negotiator now this one is fairly easy to get to the table quickly. I can't wait for the KS to finally arrive w/ all the rest of the scenarios.

- FUSE or Pandemic: The Cure only grouped together because they are both dice games that are pretty quick to setup and get going w/. Elder Sign is another one, but despite having all the expansions I find myself playing the digital version more than the physical version modest

Just a few to get the conversation going...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nestor Ivanor
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fh13 wrote:
I recently (aka yesterday) decided to finally start working through Galaxy Defenders myself. Not exactly an easy to setup (or play in the sense there is a lot going on for one person to track) so that might not be the best recommendation Previously though I've played:

- Warfighter: The WWII Tactical Combat Card Game, which can also be a pain to setup but frankly picking and outfitting the squad can be part of the fun.

- Hostage Negotiator now this one is fairly easy to get to the table quickly. I can't wait for the KS to finally arrive w/ all the rest of the scenarios.

- FUSE or Pandemic: The Cure only grouped together because they are both dice games that are pretty quick to setup and get going w/. Elder Sign is another one, but despite having all the expansions I find myself playing the digital version more than the physical version modest

How do you like elder sign app? Is it the app or an actual game where you need a computer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the Elder Sign app. It should be available on all platforms (I've got it on my iphone).
It's a pretty good investment. I used to play it a lot on the train.

As for other quick solo games, we've got a couple of dice games that are good solo:

Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age
La Granja: No Siesta

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois Bernier
Canada
Longueuil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

Current favorite solo games :

-space Hulk : death angel
-elder sign
-marvel legendary
-LotR : the card game
-Arkham horror : the card game

Space Hulk and Elder sign are relatively quick and offer great gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Srdj
Croatia
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorite single player games:

Friday
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two of my favourite hour or less (solo )games that I play solo and multiplayer are:
Snowdonia
Glass Road

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Victory Point Games' States of Siege games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noam Rosen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently dove into Hostage Negotiator and cannot recommend highly enough!

As mentioned above, Friday and FUSE are great fun.

Arkham Horror: the Card Game is wonderfully thematic but may run slightly longer than what you're looking for.

I find Avenue very relaxing (as opposed to the harried feeling FUSE gives me) and there's a small footprint to boot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nestor Ivanor
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, So i own Arkham Horror the card game as well. LoL but i play that one with my girlfriend. Im looking for something to play alone, even though i can play it alone its an "us" thing.

I've been looking at Friday for sometime but i can't find it at my FLGS. I can order it on Amazon but i would have to pay shipping. thumbsdown

Hostage Negotiator is available at my FLGS but I'm still trying to be sold on it. What are your thoughts on Hostage Negotiator vs. Friday?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B

Baldwin City
KS
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Freedom: The Underground Railroad
Black Orchestra
Cruel Necessity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fisher
United States
east lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deep Space D-6
The Game
looking forward to One Deck Dungeon
looking forward to trying Viticulture Essential Edition solo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently got One Deck Dungeon recently and have been enjoying playing it near daily for a couple weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Hauser
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cinnibar wrote:
I recently got One Deck Dungeon recently and have been enjoying playing it near daily for a couple weeks.

I am not much of a solo game player but I would also highly recommend One Deck Dungeon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're interested in more solo options, have a look at the 1 Player guild

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aeon's End playing two characters. Playing one character only, is very difficult. I am yet to beat the game while controlling only one character.

Set-up is about 5-10 minutes. A bit too long for me, but totally worth it. The game plays in 20 to 45 minutes, depending on your knowledge of the rules and the number of characters you play.

Highly entertaining, and rewarding. A wide range of difficulty, especially with expansions, and some official challenges (extremely difficult for the mash-ups of different Nemeses) can be found in the forums.

Similar to Sentinels of the Multiverse but plays much more smoothly and is much less fiddly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Purkiss
msg tools
FUSE
Sylvion (like this more than Onirim)
Ghost Stories

Also a lot of CO-OPs can be ...

Death Angel
Warhammer Quest ACG

... among others

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
Nivanor wrote:
fh13 wrote:

How do you like elder sign app? Is it the app or an actual game where you need a computer?

It's just an app that recreates the game, they are completely separate though. It does a good job of handling all the setup/breakdown (of course) and being able to save and easily come back to a game later is nice. The one limitation of the app is that fact they haven't implemented all the expansions in there yet. Haven't really been following it to see if they plan on doing it either...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James O'Grady
United Kingdom
Wymondham
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ACW Solitaire plays in 1 hour, and is great fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noam Rosen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Hostage Negotiator vs. Friday

Both are challenging games designed for solo play. They both have mechanics that are satisfying to strategize and puzzle out for yourself. In terms of replayability, I would say Hostage Negotiator wins out because you have built in variety with three different Abductors in the base game (and you can always add more by buying the different Abductor packs) each of which forces you to change your strategy. In addition, the career achievements are fun to try to match!

With Friday, the game is mechanically the same (though you can ramp up the difficulty) with the only variety being the different pirates you face at the end (should you even make it to that point). There is still a bit of luck but once you find the winning strategy that works for you, it's difficult to want to vary your approach.

The games are a wash in terms of art but I would say Hostage Negotiator is more solid thematically. Hostage Negotiator also seems to play a little quicker and take less time to set up (though that is very close between the two games).

Considering my first play was earlier this month, perhaps its just the "new car smell" of Hostage Negotiator that makes me so enamored with it. I already have played it nearly as many times as Friday!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could say B-17: Queen of the Skies but it is long out of print.

Therefore I'll have to go with Disaster on Everest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny B
United States
California
flag msg tools
Have you seen
2016 People's Choice Top 100 Solo Games (+)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.