Fields of Green» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Becoming my new favorite farming game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Walker Smith
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Be a farmer. Played over the course of 4 rounds(years?) up to 4 players compete to build and manage the most profitable farm. From cattle to peppers to sheds each player picks 6 cards from the selection of Fields, Livestock, Construction, and Buildings. Each player then selects one of these cards to utilize and passes the remaing cards to one of the players to their left or right. This process repeats until the cards are gone and then during the harvest phase, the phase you've been building up to, you water your crops and feed your animals and collect your money for the next turn. The resources follow a standard flow. Fields turn water into food, Livestock turns food into money (which you use to build more of both). Constructions usually have some sort of immediate effect that happens when you place them, such as gaining equipment. Building provide you with another end-of-game condition for bonus points, such as the Slaughter house giving you 1 point for each "meat" area within a certain range. There are similar effects on other cards that involves adjacency to other card types for certain bonuses. This is where the strategy and planning come in. You want to group certain things together without taking optimal spaces for future cards.

A friend of mine kickstarted this game. Since he received it, we've played just over a dozen times. After the group of us finished our first game, we all immediately wanted to play again. This is definitely a game you will want to play again.

It's surprising easy to learn and every time we play, we have at least one new person with us. After the first round, they have almost everything figured out.

Even after the amount I've already played, there are still strategies that I have yet to implement (I almost always end up going poultry. I love chickens.)I haven't gotten much use out of dairy animals or the equipment synergies. There are so many possibilities.

There is a slight puzzle element to this game and some planning is needed when you are first setting things up. It's easy to completely mess up future turns by putting your chickens down too close to the perfect place for ducks during the next turn.

Overall, 8/10. I would recommend this game to anyone and there is definitely enough replayability to keep you interested. However, some of the areas feel a bit underpowered for how much they cost that I haven't seen them played very much. I would recommend discarding them to go to market and buy this game (when it comes out this summer)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.