Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: XP Gap on soloing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Beta
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I wanted to take my level 1 Mindthief and try some solo/casual scenarios, it looks from the rules that I get to keep any XP, gold, or items I find.

I'm worried this will create an XP/level and equipment gap with the rest of the characters in our main party. How does this sort of gap play out in actuality? Is it a problem or a disadvantage overall, or does it make no difference at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Heilmann
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andybeta wrote:
If I wanted to take my level 1 Mindthief and try some solo/casual scenarios, it looks from the rules that I get to keep any XP, gold, or items I find.

I'm worried this will create an XP/level and equipment gap with the rest of the characters in our main party. How does this sort of gap play out in actuality? Is it a problem or a disadvantage overall, or does it make no difference at all?

Since you always calculate the level of the scenarios using the groups average level (divided by 2, rounded up), it shouldn't be much of an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group has two level 4s, one level 3, one level 2 and a level 1. I've not really noticed too much of a difference. Certainly the level 4s have a slightly easier time of it but the level 1 can hold their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Szczepanski
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarimrune wrote:
My group has two level 4s, one level 3, one level 2 and a level 1. I've not really noticed too much of a difference. Certainly the level 4s have a slightly easier time of it but the level 1 can hold their own.

If you have reached prosperity 2 the level 1 should auto-level to level 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dano Fish
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although it 'shouldnt' matter, I did have one character for a while who was 3 levels lower than the other two in the party. Although the total level does adjust, I still think she had a hard time keeping up and contributing effectively.

A gap of 1 or 2 has been absolutely fine, but I personally wouldnt want to play with a gap of 3 or more ever again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andybeta wrote:

Sooner or later you're going to retire characters and start new ones, not all at the same time, so you're inevitably going to have level gaps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
P0isson wrote:
Sarimrune wrote:

If you have reached prosperity 2 the level 1 should auto-level to level 2.

We were stuck at prosperity 1 (4) forever. The level 1 character was created, then leveled up to 2 roughly at the same time as we finally got our 5th point on prosperity. So it was a moot point, sadly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.