Popular Tags: [View All]
Christina
Canada
Fort Saskatchewan
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am brand new to mini painting but I did what I feel like is a reasonable amount of research before I started and after completing a couple mini's I do have a question about washes on these particular guys.

I'm painting Arcadia Quest: Inferno and decided to start with the demons.

So I chose black to prime them because it makes them look a little more sinister. It takes a few more coats of paint to cover with bright colors like the red I'm using but I was fine with that.

Now my understanding is the general simplified process is
1. Prime
2. Base coat
3. Wash
4. Dry brush
5. Highlight

So I did my base coat and then washed (using citadel wash) and then I kind of skipped the dry brushing. But my highlighting was more like several more base coats to get the black primer properly covered and I felt like I lost all effects of the wash.

Did I just wash too soon? When using black primer should I get proper coverage of the primer first then wash?

I just feel like I don't understand how to properly proceed after washing.
I had one of the little pet mini's primed white and washed him and didn't lose the effect of the wash as much but did still need a few coats on a couple spots as it was a very light color.

Should I just be washing when the coverage is very close to what I want in all cases?
Images of the mini in question about washing... It's my very first one, be kind

Oh and another question about sealer
I used Rustoleum Clear Matte in a spray can, when I sprayed them it got so tacky that when I picked up the mini off it's side after spraying it was stuck to the box i was spraying in and a smidge of paint came off. Is this normal on minis or should I be using something else? (I realize specialty sealers for minis are probably best but they are so expensive in Canada I'm willing to try a couple others at 1/3 the cost first) I also found it very glossy for something that said matte.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, welcome to the painting hobby. Although I'm far from being a very good mini painter, I'll give you my thoughts/tips:

- Your mini looks quite good on the photo, even without any washing/highlighting.
- Washing darkens the mini, and the first step after washing is to re-apply the base coat everywhere except the places that should stay dark: edges, nooks, and crannys.
- Drybrushing is not mandatory. In fact, I rarely drybrush since I tend to hit places I've basecoated in another color, and I'll have to redo them.
- The trick to each layer of highlighting is to stay within the area you highlighted in a less bright layer previously.
- I'd recommend mounting your mini with white tack or double-sided tape to a bottle cap or the like that has a slightly smaller top than the mini base. That way, when spraying or painting, you get the base sides and are still clear of the surface the mini is on.
- I use brush-on matte varnish from Army Painter. Takes 5 minutes per mini, you don't waste as much, there's no risk of "frosted varnish", and it isn't glossy at all. Otherwise, in your area you're probably able to get Testors Dullcote, which most mini painters swear by.
- I recommend checking out Sorastro's Youtube channel ([url="https://www.youtube.com/user/Sorastro"]here[/url]. While he specializes in Imperial Assault, Descent, and Zombicide, his tips are valid overall. That's how I got back in the hobby. The video about the Royal Guards introduces layering/highlighting well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Musgrove
United States
Royse City
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try different things, and see how they turn out. Right now I recommend experimenting. As you do more you will get better and better. Eventually you may want to start working on blending, layering, airbrushing...

Here are some of my thoughts.
If I'm doing a wash I usually do no start with a dark primer color (ie black). Go with a white or lighter color.

It looks like you are using the cheap acrylic paints from Michaels/Hoppy lobby. Do yourself a favor and pick up some paints from Reapermini, or Vallejo. I like GW, and army painter washes.

I prefer to dry brush then wash. Dry brushing usually leaves a powdery look to things, and wash takes a lot of that away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.