Subject: How neurotic are you? Damaged game card = replace the game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
The problem in the equation is people. Eliminate that, everything works.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I haven't done it, but...

I'm learning Pax Renaissance, which does not have the best rules in the world. So it's taking me time (I'm slow) and I left the game out on the table. Then cats chewed on a card. (I say cats because I suspect teamwork. Black cat likes to climb up on things sit on cards. Grey cat likes to be a feisty killer beast towards things that don't fight back, but is too lazy to climb on the table. Hence, I think Black cat knocked the card down, Grey cat chewed. I hate them both equally. Yeah, sure, I still petted them this morning, but there was no real love in it.)

The card isn't really chewed. It's got a mild bite with two tooth marks partially showing through. It's playable in the sense that it can be shuffled and read quite easily, the damage is minor. However the damage is easy to see and the card is marked, front and back. This is not a giant problem as PR is not about hidden stuff. But it's marked. MARKED!

So now I have this weird impulse to just go out and buy another copy. Because of one card.

So I'm wondering: How extreme do y'all go in that direction? From "no damage will make me buy a new copy, I'll just make crayon substitutes" to "if there is a tiny scratch on the game box the whole thing gets replaced immediately," what is your approach?

Or do I just replace the cats?

(And yes, I know, leaving the game out was asking for trouble.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Korson
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it really depends on the gameplay/mechanics of the game in question. If it was one where hidden information was crucial (for instance, the role cards in The Resistance) I would try to replace the card (potentially the entire game if I have to).

If not, then I would try to mitigate the damage as best I could but not worry about it. Damage is annoying, but as long as the game is still playable I don't see the need to dump extra money on a replacement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ontario
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually contact the game company and see if I can buy a replacement card (or deck if they have it). If that doesn't work, I would try sleeving if I am concerned about meta-gaming.

I won't replace a whole game for one card unless the game is super cheap, like $10, if I cannot find a suitable alternative, and if it matters for the card to be anonymous. If we're talking pricy, I'd probably fall back on colored sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other options:
- contact the publisher and ask about a replacement card.
- sleeve the deck with opaque-backed sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the damage makes the game less fun, I'd replace it.

And at least you got a cool story. Games with a story are cool, so your cats did you a favor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Bremen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would annoy me tons that it happened but I could live with it. I'm not that bothered by damaged boxes as much (my son used to chew on DVD/Blu-Ray cases when his teeth started growing, so my movie collection isn't that nice too look at), but I get sad when components are damaged. Nevertheless, I'm way too stingy to get a completely new game, so I'd probably first try contacting the publisher to see if I could get a replacement - if it was a case where the marked card would reveal information and if they can't replace it I'd get non-clear card sleeves for the game. Or try and trade for another copy. Or just ignore it because I'm too lazy to get bothered by it. ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't allow cheetos or doritos in my house. Does that count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Violet Mackerel
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could live with a cat-chewed (or kid-chewed) card if it didn't affect gameplay. If I lost or totally destroyed a card and it didn't need to match the other cards in look/feel I'd beg my husband, who's an artist, to make me a new one that looks about the same. If he couldn't or it needed to match the other cards exactly, I'd contact the publisher. It would have to be unplayable and missing many cards in order for me to re-buy, and unless it was really inexpensive I'd look for a used/partial copy on ETSY or EBAY or the like to see if I could just Dr. Frankenstein a new copy together from a couple of partial ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Call it a patina and enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
Your game is forever tainted. You must mail it to me so it can be disposed of properly...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Or do I just replace the cats?
Best to be on the safe side. In fact, just in case it's catching I'll go ahead and take care of it for you. Don't worry, it shouldn't take me long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't go as far as buying a whole new game, but I'd definitely try and get hold of the publisher, offering to pay for cost and shipping of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first impulse is to ask is sleeving the cards will conceal the mark well enough to make it playable. If not, then like many other have said: contact the publisher & see if I can get a replacement card.

I take care of my games (more so now than in younger days), but they are meant to be played. The condition of some of my older games (RoboRally in particular) would give some of the CDO gamers around here the vapors. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One time my cat knocked down my copy of Forbidden Island and lost the Earth Stone statue. It's completely unnecessary for game play- it just looks nice and helps you track if you found that artifact or not. It could easily be either remembered or proxied, if you really needed to.

I could not bring myself to bring the game for an entire year until I finally caved and ordered a replacement piece for $5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeve everything out of the get go for games that I intend on keeping. Other games fall into the category of it it sees more than 10 plays I'll have recouped. Time stories and gloomhaven aren't getting sleeves, but Eldritch Horror sure as hell is sleeved, including the investigators and GOO sheets. I've had some component loss over the years like some Lords of Waterdeep chits but that's never prompted me to get a new copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use opaque sleeves when cards get damaged, marked or lost*. So long as I can play the game I'm ok with it, though it's always disappointing when something gets damaged.

Pax Pamir: Kyber Knives cards are clearly different to the base game and that's causing some angst currently.

*I lost one card from Shadowrun: Crossfire. I printed a scanned copy of it and tucked it with a M:TG card in an opaque sleeve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ocean Druen
United States
Buffalo Grove
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does every boardgamer have cats? Have we not learned our lessons?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Eckels
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
The problem is that the card is marked, not that it's damaged, right? In that case the solution is obvious. If you're not able to unmark the card (repair, sleeve, whatnot), you just need to mark all the other cards in the same way. If you're super-lucky, a staple remover has the same separation as Grey cat's teeth.

Otherwise it's as simple as training the cat to bite the cards so they have the same damage. It may take a few decks of ordinary playing cards to get the job done, but I think the results would speak for themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
you never need to go all in.
badge
play the games you have.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just go ahead and sleeve the deck, problem solved devil

Yes, I know how you feel about sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*Obligatory "WHY ISN'T THIS A POLL" comment*

I'd just leave it as it is personally. It's a funny story
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Jensen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, this calls for a chart.

Should be a third axis for how much I like it too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My opinion: don't replace, don't sleeve.

We're talking about Pax Renaissance All the cards go into a trade row. No one draws off the deck, if I am not mistaken. Just show everyone the card so that they recognize it's back when it comes up. Or leave it out--there's a good chance that there are several cards of its ilk in the deck, and it won't be missed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
I'm holding out for a Euro 'til the end of the ni-ight...
badge
Misumena vatia
mbmbmbmbmb
I would contact a museum in the area and see if they could recommend a good paper conservator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The only good solution is for you to chew on all the other cards too - in the same bite pattern. Or let the cats have another go at it, whichever is more convenient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
you never need to go all in.
badge
play the games you have.
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkTori wrote:
Why does every boardgamer have cats? Have we not learned our lessons?

Have you seen how dang cute those stupid little turds can be? I mean really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.