col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Trump-St Patrick's Day clover confusion

With St Patrick's Day fast approaching, can you tell your clovers apart?

US President Donald Trump's Irish spin on his signature "Make America Great Again" hat has caught the internet's attention... for sporting the wrong clover.

The Donald J Trump online shop is selling the "Official Make America Great Again Green Hat" ahead of St Patrick's Day on 17 March.

The description for the hat says it has an "embroidered four-leaf clover" on the back.

Many Twitter users were quick to point out that an Irish shamrock, used as a symbol for St Patrick's Day, is in fact a three-leaf clover.

A shamrock is a young sprig of clover and it is said that Saint Patrick used shamrocks to illustrate the Holy Trinity. As such, it has come to be associated with St Patrick's day.

Four-leaf clovers are said to bring good luck and are rarer in abundance.

A US-based marketing strategist called out the error by illustrating the difference between a shamrock and a four-leaf clover.

She added: "Don't mess it up, #marketing geeks, for #StPatricksDay."

One user said the mishap made the president "culturally clueless".

Another dubbed it a scandal, using the hashtag #shamrockgate.

Others were quick to point out another issue, pertaining to a GOP tweet promoting the hat: "Need a #MAGA hat for St. Patty's Day?"

This did not appear to sit well with many social media users, particularly the Irish.
Image copyright Twitter/@GOP

Dublin-based Game of Thrones actor Brian Fortune made his feelings clear:

"It's Paddy's not Patty's...Saint Patrick wasn't a burger #PaddyMeat," another user continued.

Another Dublin-based communications professional added: "St. Patty, great guy, used the four leaf clover to explain God as the father, son, holy spirit and America. Trust me, I know."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are buying a 50$ baseball cap, it completely explains why you would vote for Trump.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
I think I'm more offended that the asshole wants $50 for a cheap, made-in-China bullshit hat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
I think I'm more offended that the asshole wants $50 for a cheap, made-in-China bullshit hat.

I can't believe anyone setting up an online shop would neglect the damn dollar sign in front of the price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Ach, me lucky stars!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
If you are buying a 50$ baseball cap, it completely explains why you would vote for Trump.

Have you SEEN what a high-end cap with a basketball logo goes for? And I dare say that a good portion of those buying them wouldn't be caught dead with a MAGA hat.

Or maybe they would, if the person who killed them thought they had a sense of humor. But that's a different story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
GameCrossing wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

Have you SEEN what a high-end cap with a basketball logo goes for? And I dare say that a good portion of those buying them wouldn't be caught dead with a MAGA hat.

Or maybe they would, if the person who killed them thought they had a sense of humor. But that's a different story.

Hell, a football jersey from your top college teams is north of $100 these days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khalid Shabazz
United States
NYC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That's unfair.

Everybody knows the Democratic party gets the best design and social media interns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khalid Shabazz
United States
NYC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

Have you SEEN what a high-end cap with a basketball logo goes for?

25 bucks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

http://www.mlbshop.com/San_Francisco_Giants_Caps/Mens_San_Fr...

$37.99, with free shipping.

That said, for the price of that ONE baseball cap, I could get TWO-officially approved- -fan designed- MLP t-shirts from We Love Fine. It's really no contest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Just wait as this upcoming May they'll make available: "Sinkfull of MAYO"! GET your Bull-Dyke Summer Wheatley 'pinata' then!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me or does that shamrock of the back of the hat look like an asshole?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
hamzy wrote:
Is it just me or does that shamrock of the back of the hat look like an asshole?
* searches around for a series of mirrors to examine own asshole *
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
hamzy wrote:

He didn't say "your" asshole. He said "an" asshole.

I point this out not to save you the effort of setting up a series of mirrors to inspect yours, but to absolve hamzy from the implication that he knows what your asshole looks like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hamzy wrote:

It's assholes all the way down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Iniguez
United States
Idaho Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
hamzy wrote:

He didn't say "your" asshole. He said "an" asshole.

I point this out not to save you the effort of setting up a series of mirrors to inspect yours, but to absolve hamzy from the implication that he knows what your asshole looks like.

Well, for some people their own asshole is the most accessible.

Might be an awkward question for a roommate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
CHA was my dump stat
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
hamzy wrote:

It's assholes all the way down.
This allows me to drag out the most RSP-appropriate old man quote ever: "Opinions are like assholes! Everyone's got one, and they all stink!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.