United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen lots of chatter about this but struggling to find any details - anyone know anything? It's not in the database queue yet.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterM2158 wrote:
I've seen lots of chatter about this but struggling to find any details - anyone know anything? It's not in the database queue yet.

Thanks!

You will be able to try it at Airecon. I have the only copy in the UK at the moment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I don't know anything about it but I've not had a problem with the 2 player variant in the original rulebook. I look forward to seeing what they have come up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it competitive somehow, or is it co-op like the base game's 2p variant?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also very curious how this would work as we didn't find the included variant intriguing in the slightest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
kirkowitz wrote:
Also very curious how this would work as we didn't find the included variant intriguing in the slightest.

Agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
PeterM2158 wrote:

Thanks!

You will be able to try it at Airecon. I have the only copy in the UK at the moment

Excellent! I'll be hunting you down then! Cheers Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
Is it competitive somehow, or is it co-op like the base game's 2p variant?

Somewhat similar, but MUCH better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stockton-Pitt
United Kingdom
York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I... I think I prefer it to actual Codenames. It's incredibly clever, and with no downtime (the only real issue in Codenames).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Jello
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So since some of you have apparently played it, care to share with the class how it works rather than just showing off that you know a secret things?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mads Fløe
Denmark
Aarhus C
DK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grabbed this off facebook:
Quote:
The main thing is that it ads more risk of failing and a timer mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
eviljelloman wrote:
So since some of you have apparently played it, care to share with the class how it works rather than just showing off that you know a secret things?

I was at Airecon at the weekend and saw Paul explain it in an interview.

It is designed for 2 players, but can be played with more.

You have a 5 x 4 (I think, maybe 5 x 5) grid of words, one person on each side of the table.

Along the edge you have a column of 4 (or 5 if its 5 x 5 by grid) spy cards (green in this version, apparently not necessarily the final version) and a stack of them at the top - which will act as the timer for the game.

There is a key card as in the base game, showing the 4 x 5 grid but it only has blanks or spies on it. Its double sided and each side shows X spies (I forget how many) which are all in different places except for three common ones.

Player 1 picks up the stack of the spy cards, gives a clue (usual rules) and Player 2 guesses (usual rules). Player 1 uses the spy cards to cover up as usual. When Player 2 stops guessing (or gets it wrong) Player 1 will put the stack down on the next card in the column (this is how it acts as a timer, if it drops off the end you lose), Player 2 then picks it up and carries on.

There is also rules to do with Innocent Bystanders but Paul didn't have time to explain.

It looks really interesting, and I think it will work perfectly with 2 (and with more, although I think I'd probably just play regular or pictures if I had more people). I'll definitely pre-order this as soon as it's available.

Thanks Paul for the demo (well, not stopping us from watching the interview), it looks really good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Walker
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterM2158 wrote:
eviljelloman wrote:

I was at Airecon at the weekend and saw Paul explain it in an interview.

It is designed for 2 players, but can be played with more.

You have a 5 x 4 (I think, maybe 5 x 5) grid of words, one person on each side of the table.

Along the edge you have a column of 4 (or 5 if its 5 x 5 by grid) spy cards (green in this version, apparently not necessarily the final version) and a stack of them at the top - which will act as the timer for the game.

There is a key card as in the base game, showing the 4 x 5 grid but it only has blanks or spies on it. Its double sided and each side shows X spies (I forget how many) which are all in different places except for three common ones.

Player 1 picks up the stack of the spy cards, gives a clue (usual rules) and Player 2 guesses (usual rules). Player 1 uses the spy cards to cover up as usual. When Player 2 stops guessing (or gets it wrong) Player 1 will put the stack down on the next card in the column (this is how it acts as a timer, if it drops off the end you lose), Player 2 then picks it up and carries on.

There is also rules to do with Innocent Bystanders but Paul didn't have time to explain.

It looks really interesting, and I think it will work perfectly with 2 (and with more, although I think I'd probably just play regular or pictures if I had more people). I'll definitely pre-order this as soon as it's available.

Thanks Paul for the demo (well, not stopping us from watching the interview), it looks really good!

This sounds great. I wonder to what degree this could be implemented with existing components in the standard game plus an app that generates key cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
It can't. The new grids are two sided, and are specifically designed, it's not just two random cards stuck together, and it's also not just a mirror.

Also bear in mind that the game is still in development and not finalised yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torben
Germany
Gönnheim
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
This is a sloth. It accurately represents my style of life.
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
It can't. The new grids are two sided, and are specifically designed, it's not just two random cards stuck together, and it's also not just a mirror.

The app could generate a matching pair and give one side to each player (two phones).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The two sides of the cards in Duet are not a "match".

But if people are asking will the app be updated once Codenames: Duet is avaialble, then I'm not sure - thats up to CGE. Can it be used right now to play Duet, no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torben
Germany
Gönnheim
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are a "match". They are belonging to each other. There are rules how they are paired up (3 out of X overlapping, etc.), otherwise you wouldn't be able to print them on paper And if you can work out how to put them on paper, then you can also take them and give one side to each player in an app. I don't see anything that makes that impossible. But then again I don't know anything more than what was said in this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul and Torben you're both right, just using the term match in different ways.

No they're not an identical match as Paul says, but yes the two match as each half of one set as Torben says.

From a purely developmental point of view this is definitely doable on the app: you either have it on one phone and a button to switch between Player 1 and Player 2 view (preferable in my mind) or a keycode that you put into each phone (could use alphanumeric to designate different teams 1234A goes with 1234B) to bring up each "side" of the card.

Now, whether CGE does that or not is up to them - given the support they've created for Codenames and Pictures I'd be surprised if they didn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirsty D
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
PeterM2158 wrote:
a button to switch between Player 1 and Player 2 view (preferable in my mind)

The version I played at the weekend (demoed by Paul I presume?) required both players to look at the grid at the same time so this wouldn't work. You don't pass turns back and forth, which made it nicely manic to my mind.

Quote:

or a keycode that you put into each phone (could use alphanumeric to designate different teams 1234A goes with 1234B) to bring up each "side" of the card.

This would though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Sounds like they could offer a Duet expansion with differently colored/marked grid cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterM2158 wrote:
Now, whether CGE does that or not is up to them - given the support they've created for Codenames and Pictures I'd be surprised if they didn't.

This seems like an interesting conundrum. There was no reason not to do the original app, since you still needed to buy the game to use it.

But if all the components of the original game could allow you to play Duet with just the addition of an app..... well I don't know if that's such an obvious decision.

Maybe the app should cost like $6. That way you could buy it and just play with your original components. And then physical copies of Duet could include a code to get the app for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toober wrote:
Sounds like they could offer a Duet expansion with differently colored/marked grid cards.

The game is inexpensive enough that an expansion might as well include its own cards to be a stand alone game. That way they reach more potential customers as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Larchenko
Russia
Ivanteevka
Moscow region
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's easy to make such clues. I added 8 blue (first player) and 7 red. 3 from them are placed in the same places.

Do players play cooperative or against each other? Do they have only 4 turns (2 for every player)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torben
Germany
Gönnheim
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pard wrote:
Do players play cooperative or against each other? Do they have only 4 turns (2 for every player)?

I would assume it's competitive.

The way Peter described it sounded pretty much like a tug-of-war type of mechanic. The marker next to the board would move back and forth between the players until one of them had too many failed attempts and the marker leaves the area on his end.

Edit: Wild speculation turns out to be completely false

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to remind everyone that the game is still in development. What I showed at Airecon was an early prototype of the game which we are still working on.

Thought I'd better make this clear before people start thinking the current version is 100% finished, which it is not.

However, what I can confirm is that the game is cooperative. There is no "tug of war".

There will be videos out soon about it - but again, please note that the game is not finished yet, this was just an early prototype.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.