1 , 2  Next »   | 

Hunt for the Ring» Forums » General

Subject: Why the hotness? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: it_ain't_the_heat_it's_the_humidity [+] [View All]
Dreadknot Knotdread
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was about to ask how this game, with 5 images and 5 posts, barely any traffic at all, somehow is #4 on the hotness. Arcadia Quest:Inferno barely broke the hotness list at all.

I was about to ask but then....why bother? No one knows and I just realized that I don't care. So yeah, carry on...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was recently a video Eric Martin posted, which probably accounts for the renewed interest.

Game Previews from Spielwarenmesse V: The Hunt for the Ring, Rhino Hero: Super Battle, Frogriders, Mistkäfer, and Monster-Pups

Edit: Why submit your post if you don't care?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was featured on the Newsdesk less than a week ago:

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/62591/game-previews-spiel...

Its put out by the same company that did the very highly regarded and popular War of the Ring, Ares Games .

Between that and pretty much anything Lord of the Rings is going to generate buzz....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Cullen
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
Because its the latest in the LOTR line of games from a respected designer and a respected company

Because the Ares games LOTR series has a solid fan base, built up from the success of their former gazmes in the series.

Because it is the LAST of the LOTR games in the series, as this was meant to end as a trilogy of games (Battle of the Five Armies; War of the Ring; Hunt for the Ring)

Because it is new and very popular IP attached to a fun and succesful mechanic(hidden movement).

Because the miniatures/game pieces featured look as gorgeous as they are abstract.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Nearing Weathertop
mbmbmbmbmb
Designers of Letters from Whitechapel and Garibaldi, combining with designers of War of the Ring. Tolkien. A theme that is perfect for hidden movement (the Hobbits narrowly escaping The Shire with the one ring). Been watching this for months - glad to see it's finally got some legs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dorrax wrote:

Because it is the LAST of the LOTR games in the series, as this was meant to end as a trilogy of games (Battle of the Five Armies; War of the Ring; Hunt for the Ring)

I think there will be more in the war of the ring line, not heard this mentioned before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dreadknot69 wrote:
Arcadia Quest:Inferno barely broke the hotness list at all.

Is that a game, or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Larson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamesJart wrote:
Dorrax wrote:

I think there will be more in the war of the ring line, not heard this mentioned before.

I sure hope Ares will be putting out more LotR games. I thought I heard awhile back they were going to continue with the "Battle" series (Minas Tirith, Helms Deep). Or maybe that was just peoples hope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Adey
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WORSE STILL....2 reviews already - one from someone who claims it as "previously owned" when it isn`t even out yet and then they gave it a "1", and one from another player who has pre-ordered it and given it a "10" ( presumably to balance up the "1" from the first reviewer.

WTH?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Berlin

New York
msg tools
badge
Yes, we are friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Why the hotness?there. I w
Quote:
WTH?

There's a lot of LOTR games with Ring in them out there. I would have chosen a different name. Like maybe A Hole for Hobbitfinger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonah G wrote:
Quote:
WTH?

There's a lot of LOTR games with Ring in them out there. I would have chosen a different name. Like maybe A Hole for Hobbitfinger.

How about "Penetrating Sauron's Ring"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dreadknot69 wrote:
I was about to ask how this game, with 5 images and 5 posts, barely any traffic at all, somehow is #4 on the hotness. Arcadia Quest:Inferno barely broke the hotness list at all.

The designers of War of the Ring and Letters for Whitechapel bringing their two, fantastic designs together into a LOTR-themed game with potential legacy aspects as you play through the stories of the books sounds pretty freaking noteworthy to me. Just what exactly qualifies as news-worthy to you?... I guess the obvious answer is a Kickstarter game getting delivered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Albireo wrote:
WORSE STILL....2 reviews already - one from someone who claims it as "previously owned" when it isn`t even out yet and then they gave it a "1", and one from another player who has pre-ordered it and given it a "10" ( presumably to balance up the "1" from the first reviewer.

WTH?

People make mistakes. Should they be flogged for violating the sanctity of BGG ratings?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Albireo wrote:

WTH?

There's always some idiot reviewing something that isn't even out yet. See it on Amazon all the time. Sure makes them look stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Albireo wrote:

WTH?

People make mistakes. Should they be flogged for violating the sanctity of BGG ratings?

Hm... that's an interesting option you're suggesting there. It could be quite efficient. j/k
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Albireo wrote:

WTH?

hmmm.....yes, preferably in the nude and in public shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reeves
Canada
flag msg tools
chewie456 wrote:
I thought I heard awhile back they were going to continue with the "Battle" series (Minas Tirith, Helms Deep). Or maybe that was just peoples hope.

Pretty sure those will expansions for Battle of the Five Armies, not new games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Why were we not in the movie?
mbmbmbmbmb
"The Hunt for the Ring" is the title of a section found in the book Unfinished Tales and highly recommended reading for players of this game. I can't think of a better title for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dorrax wrote:

The last game in the series should be Silmarillion. Who knows if Tolkien Estate change their mind regarding making movies/games out of it?
I cannot imagine a better game than an Ares-designed Silmarillion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
improove wrote:
Dorrax wrote:

The last game in the series should be Silmarillion. Who knows if Tolkien Estate change their mind regarding making movies/games out of it?

hm, interesting idea, though I'm unconvinced at the huge scale this would need. What would players be? Maia?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DomHiob wrote:
improove wrote:
Dorrax wrote:

hm, interesting idea, though I'm unconvinced at the huge scale this would need. What would players be? Maia?

Definitely Noldors versus Morgoth. There should also be corruption because Noldors did not obey Valars. I opt for most of the history depicted with some abstract battles but much more politics, conspiracy and control of NPC forces such as humans and dwarves (similar to factions but more unstable). A subset of epic battles (like BOTFA, Gondor/Rohan) with better scale may be separate game products.
The story of Beren and the story of Hurin, played on the main board, could be just scenarios (such as Breaking of the Fellowship) but with a higher time resolution. The corruption for Turin is a must here.
The beginning of the world could be designed as a pure card play similar to Turn Zero of Twilight Struggle - ending in the Noldors' escape from Valinor.
Now, if they create an abstract game of Numenor, and a Hunt-for-the-ring-like game of Hobbit (pre BOTFA), we have a complete story of Middle Earth (Silmarilion games, a Hobbit game, BOTWA, Hunt, WOTR), the most epic game chain in board games, comparable to the epicness of Bios: Genesis->Bios:Megafauna->Bios:Origins->High Frontier->Interstellar chain of the history of the real Earth.
Just imagine. Even a single battle (like battle with flames) depicted in Silmarillion is a good theme for a good game like BOTFA was. Perhaps they should start with atomic games such as the mentioned battle and the life of Turin. Perfectly alligning with the publication of Beren&Luthien novel from Tolkien Estate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Miller
United States
Britton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iamcrazyjoe wrote:
chewie456 wrote:
I thought I heard awhile back they were going to continue with the "Battle" series (Minas Tirith, Helms Deep). Or maybe that was just peoples hope.

The Minas Tirith and Helms Deep battles already exist. The expansion for War of The Rings 1st Edition War of the Ring: Battles of the Third Age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They have yet to release the 3rd expansion pack for War of the Ring, which would introduce complex sieges and then after that they're going to release the Limited Edition delux tri-pack of all three expansions sets.

So...not the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Road Judge wrote:
iamcrazyjoe wrote:
chewie456 wrote:

The Minas Tirith and Helms Deep battles already exist. The expansion for War of The Rings 1st Edition War of the Ring: Battles of the Third Age.

Doesn't do any good for anyone who doesn't already own it since it's out of print and won't be reprinted. Bringing them back in a second edition to go along with WotR second edition would be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RMGreen wrote:
Doesn't do any good for anyone who doesn't already own it since it's out of print and won't be reprinted.

Out of print and won't be reprinted doesn't stop you from buying it. I buy out of print materials all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.