United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
How about now?
badge
Looking for my next game
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend brought this game to PrezCon, and we played it, and I absolutely loved it. Thing is- I want to buy it myself, and I'm not sure what I should be doing, both to start, and for completion.

Is there a good summary of a recommended order to buy these products, and a complete list of what we can buy, anywhere?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. War if you're money-sensitive, Devastation if you're not.
2. The thing you didn't get in step 1.
3. Trials if it's available via retail, Fate if it's not.
4. The thing you didn't get in step 3.
5. Light & Shadow if you've tried EX/Almighty bosses battles and liked them.
6. Devastation Extended
7. War Extended
8. Any other X Extended that are out by this time.
9. Light & Shadow if you didn't pick it up in step 5.
10. Strikers
11. Armory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Pow
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
How about now?
badge
Looking for my next game
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, perfect! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tankbard wrote:
1. War if you're money-sensitive, Devastation if you're not.
2. The thing you didn't get in step 1.
3. Trials if it's available via retail, Fate if it's not.
4. The thing you didn't get in step 3.
5. Light & Shadow if you've tried EX/Almighty bosses battles and liked them.
6. Devastation Extended
7. War Extended
8. Any other X Extended that are out by this time.
9. Light & Shadow if you didn't pick it up in step 5.
10. Strikers
11. Armory

Great list, but why Armory last? I think the alternate bases change the game in a much more fundamental and interesting way than the alternate costumes/UAs included in War Extended, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
* If you thought Items were really fun in Smash Bros (any of them), consider moving Armory to step 4.5.

* You filthy casual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Light & Shadow over Extended comes down to preference over which kind of variety you would prefer: Alternate unique abilities (a different strategy employed by each character, sometimes the opposite one from the standard) vs EX and Almighty bases (you have to keep track of extra tokens and power ups to unique bases by hand or mind).

Also, I would add a branching-off list from point 4 that says:

5. If you want a quicker, more tactical Battlecon, start exploring Exceed: Red Horizon.
6. Get another box of Exceed.
7. Get another box of Exceed.
8. Get the last box of Exceed.
9. Back Exceed: Seventh Cross on kickstarter this March.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Pow
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
How about now?
badge
Looking for my next game
mbmbmbmbmb
okami31 wrote:
Light & Shadow over Extended comes down to preference over which kind of variety you would prefer: Alternate unique abilities (a different strategy employed by each character, sometimes the opposite one from the standard) vs EX and Almighty bases (you have to keep track of extra tokens and power ups to unique bases by hand or mind).

Also, I would add a branching-off list from point 4 that says:

5. If you want a quicker, more tactical Battlecon, start exploring Exceed: Red Horizon.
6. Get another box of Exceed.
7. Get another box of Exceed.
8. Get the last box of Exceed.
9. Back Exceed: Seventh Cross on kickstarter this March.

It's likely I'll also end up getting EXCEED (I'm going to check out the Kickstarter, certainly), but I actually really enjoyed BattleCON already- one thing at a time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
I actually rate Devastation: Extended pretty highly if only because I've found Juto & Borneo to be invaluable tools for teaching the game. Whenever I teach the game to a new player, I always toss them a regular beginner character (Hikaru typically if they don't want to choose), and then I ask them if they want to fight against a panda or a penguin. I also modify Juto/Borneo's unique ability and give them the regular set of 6 bases and instead shuffle and take a random unique base from among their 7 unique bases, because obviously learning the bases is the most important part of the game.

From there I teach them absolutely nothing and just throw them straight into the game. I tell them to pick a pair of cards, recommending a shot or a drive, and then we go through the beats and they learn by doing. I usually give them a run for their money just by playing as well as I can but by the end they've cottoned on to how the game works and they usually pull off a win and are eager to play another game right after.

Really, though, the rest of the non core box products for BattleCON are pretty lackluster. War Extended gives you more alt costumes and more arenas, which are meh, Light & Shadow gives you 2v1 and 3v1 gameplay but that is also meh in my opinion, Armory and Strikers gives you customization which is meh, so on and so forth... It's just, like, when your core gameplay is this brilliant then alternate gameplay modes aren't all that attractive, you know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Khift wrote:
I actually rate Devastation: Extended pretty highly if only because I've found Juto & Borneo to be invaluable tools for teaching the game. Whenever I teach the game to a new player, I always toss them a regular beginner character (Hikaru typically if they don't want to choose), and then I ask them if they want to fight against a panda or a penguin. I also modify Juto/Borneo's unique ability and give them the regular set of 6 bases and instead shuffle and take a random unique base from among their 7 unique bases, because obviously learning the bases is the most important part of the game.

From there I teach them absolutely nothing and just throw them straight into the game. I tell them to pick a pair of cards, recommending a shot or a drive, and then we go through the beats and they learn by doing. I usually give them a run for their money just by playing as well as I can but by the end they've cottoned on to how the game works and they usually pull off a win and are eager to play another game right after.

Really, though, the rest of the non core box products for BattleCON are pretty lackluster. War Extended gives you more alt costumes and more arenas, which are meh, Light & Shadow gives you 2v1 and 3v1 gameplay but that is also meh in my opinion, Armory and Strikers gives you customization which is meh, so on and so forth... It's just, like, when your core gameplay is this brilliant then alternate gameplay modes aren't all that attractive, you know?

Right, you don't need any of the variant products.

War, Devastation, Fate and Trials is all you need for endless
Battlecon variability.

The money that you would spend on everything else would be much better rerouted into buying Exceed boxes and/or other Level 99 Games (Argent, Millennium Blades).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.