Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The combination of stereotypical music, the weirdly snarky gameplay video with what felt like a lot of verbal shrugging about names, and very little attempt to explain what was happening felt, IDK, off.

It all added up to something that's making me a little uncomfortable, particularly with the caricatured starting each post with "Honorable backers" and the tea ceremony, combined with what seems like a mix of prehistory/myth mixed with culture and tech that occurred during, y'know, actual history, is giving me kind of an orientalist vibe. I can almost hear the lispy dated accent.

I really like SMV's mini line and have heard nothing but good things about Lang, so really want to like this, but am just not liking the way they're approaching it.

So... I guess another question-- how much do previous backers feel CMoN's PR reflects their actual product, from other campaigns?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jordan
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
"Iron Maiden's gonna get all of you!!!"
badge
"Iron Maiden's gonna get all of you!!!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't care any less about the PR side of it. Just give me my awesome minis and epic games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was very pleased with three seasons of Zombicide. This particular title has been aboard the hype train for a while, so some degree of disappointment or misperception is to be expected. I was not drawn to Blood Rage although many others liked it. The Old Nippon cultural angle sold me.

Can 12,514 backers be wrong? Absolutely. But not today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Skelding
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not just you. There's a lot that's off about the video, for all the reasons you said. I'm also really put off by the seppuku bit; yes, that was a part of samurai culture, but Japan currently has one of the highest suicide rates in the world. Sticking that in a board game feels wrong.

Also, while I hardly expect board games to be historically accurate, they mispronounced and misused used a lot of terms.

(Edit to correct typo.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Christopher
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched the trailer, which had obviously brain washed me as by the time it was over, I had already opened my wallet and given them all my money...again...cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't back it. Get on with your life. It's a boardgame
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Wood
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously it is not for everyone. But there are a lot of people who think it is going to be awesome. You can either just give them your money now, or give them your money later without the cool KS extras. Your choice. Lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig B
Australia
Mount Hawthorn
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No I'm not. But it's fine if you are. Vote with your wallet.

Their PR gameplay videos are always terribly campy and lame. Their games are usually not lame. The better gameplay videos for CMoN games are always 3rd parties or at convention demos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope: I've not seen the KS, nor will I.

I have zero interest in a 3 player minimum game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They always latch onto little phrases, how many times did they use 'For Glory' during the Blood Rage campaign?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Schmidt
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I liked the game play preview because they just played the game. Most previews contain someone reminding you of the rules literally every step of the way, and it gets insanely tedious, especially if you are familiar with the rules. I've read about the rules, what does the game play look like? I'm probably not the only one who thinks this, and I expect they made that vid for people like me. Having watched the video; the game rules to Rising Sun seem so straightforward showing is as good as explaining.

From what I can parse, the game looks really promising. There is a lot less that what I see on other CMON pages, but I've never looked at their pages day 1, so I dunno how much was there from the start and how much was added over the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laserjudas wrote:

How did you end up in these forums?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laserjudas wrote:

I don't mean to sound rude, but why are here reading fourum posts about a game you've written off?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoff wrote:
laserjudas wrote:

I don't mean to sound rude, but why are here reading fourum posts about a game you've written off?

People enjoy coming at questions from a different angle, sometimes cutely. Sometimes not . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I work in PR and can tell you that CMON's PR is spectacular, many companies would do well to mimic them. Their use of social and niche media to target their key demographic is unmatched in our hobby.

You may not care for how the campaign itself is being run, but you have no objective argument in criticizing their PR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
I work in PR and can tell you that CMON's PR is spectacular, many companies would do well to mimic them. Their use of social and niche media to target their key demographic is unmatched in our hobby.

You may not care for how the campaign itself is being run, but you have no objective argument in criticizing their PR.

The "PR" is good, no doubt,.... but for me; the game play video is beyond useless,.... for a gamer; you want to see how the game works,.. and they spend more time being cheeky and making jokes,... that's ok if you're watching tabletop,.... but the purpose should be to show you how it works AND that it is fun.

I like the game and am backing it,.... but in spite of that crap video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Did I say it was incompetent? Because I'm pretty sure I only said I found it distasteful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justen Brown
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also getting an orientalist vibe. If this was a Japanese designed game, like literally the exact same thing, they wouldn't be advertising it like this. It's specifically targeting a subset of Western nerds who like katanas, samurai, and painted ladies. And that's great if you enjoy that stuff but at the same time you should be self aware in how marketing minimizes other cultures to sell you stuff in an easy-to-swallow pill.

With how big this campaign is already becoming I guarantee there'll be some media pushback from non-boardgaming sources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Orr
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jaybeethree wrote:
I'm also getting an orientalist vibe. If this was a Japanese designed game, like literally the exact same thing, they wouldn't be advertising it like this. It's specifically targeting a subset of Western nerds who like katanas, samurai, and painted ladies. And that's great if you enjoy that stuff but at the same time you should be self aware in how marketing minimizes other cultures to sell you stuff in an easy-to-swallow pill.

With how big this campaign is already becoming I guarantee there'll be some media pushback from non-boardgaming sources.

Holy cow. Kind of like games and shows and movies all the time use lots of unrealistic stereotypes of western cliques/culture/groups and demographics/whatever when they're portrayed?

The jocks/nerds/emo cliques in school movies, the unrealistic cowboy/lawman/unrealistic medical/legal/military/Police/Fireman roles etc? Some used seriously some humorously. But hardly every super 'accurate', and a lot of times with dramatic flair at the expense of realism. On purpose.

Getting media pushback? Come on...(see what I did there), but really, the overly PC stuff is just craziness.

I'm kind of getting the feeling it's supposed to be a bit tongue in cheek. Taking everything so seriously take the fun out of things.

It's not meant to be a historical simulation.

Caricatures/exaggerated/stylized are funny/enjoyable to a lot of people, and a staple of games and entertainment of all kinds.

I also think appealing to that 'western nerd' was exactly their plan and will make them lots of money.

Welcome to Capitalism!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoff wrote:
laserjudas wrote:

I'm not reading the forums for this game. This specific thread showed up on my main page feed. It asked a question. I answered it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yamato2 wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

The "PR" is good, no doubt,.... but for me; the game play video is beyond useless,.... for a gamer; you want to see how the game works,.. and they spend more time being cheeky and making jokes,... that's ok if you're watching tabletop,.... but the purpose should be to show you how it works AND that it is fun.

I like the game and am backing it,.... but in spite of that crap video.

Go over and watch the video for Thunderston Quest, and this one will seem marvelous. I don't think trailers are geared to the people in this forum, who are backing the game regardless. It is to draw in the fringe customers. They'll post gameplay videos and rulesets for gamers later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
Favor Euros + Ameritrash, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not at all. I want to play the game. I'm not remotely worried about things unrelated to the gameplay or minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
So... I guess another question-- how much do previous backers feel CMoN's PR reflects their actual product, from other campaigns?
The gameplay video is definitely polluted with way too much "hyuk-hyuk, so funny!" stuff, but that's part of CMON's strategy: They don't need the BGG hardcores to care because they know the BGG hardcores are already going to buy in, probably bigly. What they need is for the casuals to get the vibe that it's a super happy, tabletalk-laden funfest for boys and baes alike. Like, fer realz! The endless giggling and lack of actual knowledge being imparted is certainly going to turn some folks off, but CMON hopes it attracts 10x more people than those it turns off (and the folks who hate it will likely buy in anyhow.)

As for racist chop-socky undertones, I dunno. I think that's just a side-effect of trying too hard to be totally such a fun social game, like fer realz!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justen Brown
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jamesorr wrote:
jaybeethree wrote:

Holy cow. Kind of like games and shows and movies all the time use lots of unrealistic stereotypes of western cliques/culture/groups and demographics/whatever when they're portrayed?

The jocks/nerds/emo cliques in school movies, the unrealistic cowboy/lawman/unrealistic medical/legal/military/Police/Fireman roles etc? Some used seriously some humorously. But hardly every super 'accurate', and a lot of times with dramatic flair at the expense of realism. On purpose.

Getting media pushback? Come on...(see what I did there), but really, the overly PC stuff is just craziness.

I'm kind of getting the feeling it's supposed to be a bit tongue in cheek. Taking everything so seriously take the fun out of things.

It's not meant to be a historical simulation.

Caricatures/exaggerated/stylized are funny/enjoyable to a lot of people, and a staple of games and entertainment of all kinds.

I also think appealing to that 'western nerd' was exactly their plan and will make them lots of money.

Welcome to Capitalism!

What a weird argument. "Everything is stereotyped so who cares have fun never change don't do better embrace shit marketing!" Like yeah man, "welcome to Capitalism" and how grossly exploitative and demeaning it can be!

If you have to have fun at the expense of other people then I don't have many kind words to say about you. There's nothing professionally courteous (that's what PC means, right?) about not taking the laziest route. Here's the English trailer for Kagemusha. No hokey narrator speaking in an accent, no shamisens or flower petals, but it gets the point of the film across. Is it that difficult?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm impressed any time someone can make a million dollars in three hours...
selling boardgames!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.