Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anne Skelding
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It begins on a Tuesday at noon.

(Actually, it begins on a Sunday evening, when I diligently read the rules, punched out all of the tokens, and daydreamed about being able to paint all these lovely minis. I knew I wouldn’t be able to play until Tuesday, but I couldn’t help myself. I really do love warrior mice. I think it’s because I read so many Redwall books as a kid. But I digress.)

It begins on a Tuesday, on a day which happens to be my birthday, and so I’ve taken the day off from work and am sitting in my jammies setting up the board. I’ve never played Mice & Mystics before, so setup takes about an hour because I’m learning how to play as I do it. Also because I spent half that time fending off my cats. I did try to explain that the mice weren’t real, but they had to check for themselves.

My starting party is Maginos, Filch, Tilda, and Collin. There are also three Rat Warriors in the room. Fortunately, our intrepid heroes successfully manage to defeat all three Rat Warriors fairly quickly. Filch takes out two while Maginos kills the final with a ranged attack from his staff. Additionally, Prince Collin finds a mystic blade, probably dropped by one of the guards. He regretfully puts his own sword in his pack. The mystic blade is more powerful, and that’s more important than his sentimental attachment to the sword his father taught him to fight with.

The mice successfully make their way to the sewer. Eurgh! They’re dropped into freezing cold water of a most unsanitary nature. Great plan, Filch.

There are also two Rat Warriors and three filthy Roaches in the sewers with them. The rats move swiftly to capture Maginos. Fortunately, during the skirmish, Tilda was able to find the Fishhook & Thread, which she casts onto the sewer walkway so that the rest of the party can’t be carried away. After a long battle, Tilda is hurt and Collin gravely wounded, but their enemies have been defeated. Collin and Tilda both kill a rat each, and the group works together to squish the three roaches. As the last roach twitches its legs in death spasms, the group frees their lost comrade. Maginos smiles at them, relieved that his young companions were able to defend themselves without him. He scoops up the fishhook again, in case they need it later.

Things got a little scary toward the end, but now all four mice make their way to the exit, ready to move onto the next phase of their escape.

...And it’s about here that I realize my back is bothering me. I’d set the game up on the floor so I could easily move around it from all angles, but I guess my spine didn’t like spending three hours crouched over the board. Yes, three hours, even though I didn’t complete much of the chapter! I spent a lot of time flipping through the rulebook. There were also a couple places where I realized I’d done something wrong, so I retraced my steps to correct the error. I feel like I’ve got a much better grasp of the game now, though. I look forward to guiding my tiny friends through the rest of their journey.

Session Ending Stats:

Session 1
Chapter 1
Page 2
Party Items: Fishhook & Thread
Tile 6: The Sewer (they will Explore the next tile first thing next session)
Cheese Wheel: 2

Collin
Equipment: Mystic Blade, Leather Breastplate
Ability: Battle Squeak
Health: 1/3
Cheese: 2
Pack: Collin’s Sword
Tricks: Intense Cowering

Filch
Equipment: Dagger
Ability: Find
Health: 3/3
Cheese: 1
Pack: empty
Tricks: none

Maginos
Equipment: Maginos’ Staff
Ability: Chain Lightning
Health: 3/3
Cheese: 0

Tilda
Equipment: Tilda’s Mace, Leather Breastplate
Ability: Major Heal
Health: 2/3
Cheese: 0

(I just realized I forgot to count Collin and Tilda’s armor when rolling defense. Oops. Sorry, leetle mice. I’ll count better next time.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N F
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
Just checking... you know you keep Collin's original equipment, right? In his equipment list you didn't show his sward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Skelding
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, it's in his pack. IIRC the Mystic Blade is a two-hander so he couldn't have them both equipped.

Thank you for checking, I'm still learning the rules and I've already made a couple mistakes, so I appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flum Tumbler
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nice one!
I just recently started a solo campaign also. Same party selection. I got through two tiles in about 90minutes. Learning rules as I go.
best of luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Skelding
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! Good luck with your campaign!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
How is the experience of playing this solo? Is it a chore using so many characters like in many other games?

I keep getting put off from buying into this game for two reasons. How it plays solo,(because I don't know anyone else who would be interested in this) and also the replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Skelding
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lexthilian wrote:
How is the experience of playing this solo? Is it a chore using so many characters like in many other games?

I keep getting put off from buying into this game for two reasons. How it plays solo,(because I don't know anyone else who would be interested in this) and also the replayability.

I'm probably not the best person to ask. I don't have other games to compare it to. Also, I'm the kind of person who rereads books dozens of times, so I don't know if replayability is a thing that I care about or not, if that makes sense, so it's not something I've been paying attention to. I can think of some things that would make playthroughs different, though. The mice you use, the abilities you give them, the search and encounter cards, are all going to be different.

I've been having fun, though. I have people who would probably play with me, but we don't meet often enough to run any kind of campaign. That's why I decided to play solo. I haven't found anything about it to be a chore, no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Glassman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lexthilian wrote:

I can't really comment on the solo play since I never play solo games/variants, however I can say that I playtested a few of my house-ruled mechanics while playing solo, and the gameplay went fine. It's not as complex as say Descent or Imperial Assault, but a) you CAN play M&M solo, and what it lacks in complexity it makes up for in theme and story telling.

As for replayability, this game will last you years. Each chapter in Mice and Mystics is incredibly detailed and diverse and does not get repetitive at all, like Imperial Assault or Descent does. Usually in M&M, each chapter will have unique rules that come into play, and an interesting scenario like a mini-game or something that doesn't come up in any other chapter. That way, there's always something new to look forward too. The story is fully fleshed out as well. There are 3 full story books so far. The main game + a mini expansion (9 chapter story book, 2 new minis, 9 new cards) + full forest expansion (30 minis, 12 chapter book, 30+ new cards) + 3 FREE DLC chapters.
There's so much content you can be playing for years if you want. Gameplay is great as well. While Descent and IA (and I forgot to mention the D&D adventure gameas) may be more complex in game mechanics, M&M blows them away with theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.