Grand Austria Hotel» Forums » General

Subject: Custodian power level? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin D.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 24 games of GAH logged so far. Average winning score is 170.8, highest score so far is 223. The trend we are noticing is that the person who drafts Custodian generally plays it as early as possible and tends to win the game. I haven't recorded stats but we are seeing it come out to about $12-$15 profit every time it gets played.

Anyone else seeing this issue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last game I played I scored about 218. Did not have the Custodian. I'm sure if someone closed a lot of rooms, it may sway the totals a bit, but i wouldn't say enough to make it an instant win card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be a helpful card, as it pays $1 each time a guest is placed in a room. That is probably 12-15 times per game, as you said.

However, it is also a $5 cost to hire this employee, which can really hurt a player if you must pay most of it. If you have the opportunity to hire an employee for free or at a great discount, this would surely be a good one. But everyone has their favorites. I love the employee that makes sixes free and gives an extra six. My wife loves the employee that gives an extra die whenever you take a one or two.

I don't think there is any one employee in this game that is more valuable than all the others. Each can be very beneficial or not, depending on the dice rolls, the guests that appear, the politics cards, and the emperor's reward tiles. The key is assembling the best combination to form a viable machine - and get a little lucky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin D.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrumPhil wrote:
That would be a helpful card, as it pays $1 each time a guest is placed in a room. That is probably 12-15 times per game, as you said.

However, it is also a $5 cost to hire this employee, which can really hurt a player if you must pay most of it. If you have the opportunity to hire an employee for free or at a great discount, this would surely be a good one. But everyone has their favorites. I love the employee that makes sixes free and gives an extra six. My wife loves the employee that gives an extra die whenever you take a one or two.

I don't think there is any one employee in this game that is more valuable than all the others. Each can be very beneficial or not, depending on the dice rolls, the guests that appear, the politics cards, and the emperor's reward tiles. The key is assembling the best combination to form a viable machine - and get a little lucky.

I'm assuming a cost of $3, as you hardly ever pay full price for staff, and if you are able to put him in play before any rooms are closed then your initial setup pays his cost. The issue with Custodian is it barely relies on dice at all, all you need is some number of 5s available early to play it. It's not situational as it just rewards you for playing the game, unless there is a no room strategy I'm missing, but I don't see that. It either helps you achieve or helps you benefit from pretty much every politics card (only exception off the top of my head is 10 emperor points). I see no downside to this card, so I guess I'm looking for perspectives where Custodian is not objectively better than all the other staff. I haven't been able to find one, aside from the an early turn with a serious lack of 5s rolled/re-rolled but that delays other hires as well.

Bottom line is you start with enough money to hire any staff in the game and hiring Custodian gives you about 4x return on investment in every single game without exception. In an opening draft, assuming I want to win or beat my high score, when would I take any other card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've scored 12-15 points with a single end game staff bonus. We're not talking much difference there. If i play another and score another 10-12 points, I'm only one card more and scoring quite a bit ahead. And that's including if you close a great number of rooms, which in some games you may not have the ability to do so.

It's got the potential to score a lot of points, but so do many others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin D.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've scored 21 points with a single end game staff card, that's not why Custodian is good, he's good because he facilitates every other thing you want to do throughout the game. Yes, he only works when you are closing rooms, but money helps you close rooms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois Girard
Canada
Ste-Genevieve de Batiscan
Quebec
flag msg tools
I Know What You're Thinking!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, I had a similar discussion with my wife after our last game. In addition to the three employees named here, I would add the decorator (prepare a room with a 1 or 2) and personally consider them to be a class apart. They are much stronger than any other regardless of strategy and course of a game.

As Drumphil, for my part, the strongest remains the Kitchen Hand (6 at no cost +1 die 6), it looks like an employee with 2 powers! It was the thread I was looking for this morning...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monte Milburn
United States
Junction City, Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This may be the wrong place to ask this, but I don't see anywhere else to ask it. There is a customer;

E. Gizia

Does this customer allow you to reroll the dice after a pass without trashing a die? If that is the case you are supposed to take customer rewards as soon as you send them to rooms. Then discard the card. When would you use this? Thanks for any help. Played our first game last night (2 player), plan to play again tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After you place him in a room and finish your turn, you simply take another turn. You just don't take a die for your action. You still take an action based on the dice available, you just don't pull a die of the board when you do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.