1 , 2  Next »   | 

Unfair» Forums » General

Subject: Uneven board rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tobias Cohen
Australia
flag msg tools
I just got my copy of Unfair, and there's a pretty noticable uneven bump running along the middle of the board when it's unfolded, is this normal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate Finch
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As requested by Kim earlier today on the KS page: "If you are one of the few backers reporting a weird board with an bad fold that wont stay flat please send me a picture to kim at goodgamespublishing.com I need to lay eyes on it. The board is replaceable."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Cohen
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks! I've sent through an email.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Jackson
Australia
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Came here to ask about this too, will send through pics of mine aswel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delith Malistar
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here. Thanks for the info! I was really disappointed when I got the board and it was uneven. Good to know they will replace it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Herron
Canada
Dollard des Ormeaux (Montreal)
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
same issue here also. Everything else looks so good, so it was a little disappointing, but it doesn't really affect game play. There is a comment on the kickstarter page about being able to flatten it, but not sure if I want to try.

Knowing my luck I would rip it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lemieux
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got the same issue, also have the issue of the cards not being the same size, and holy cow are my cards bent. Anyone else have cards that came looking like someone shuffled them about a million times before sending them out?

Sorry, don't have the game with me to get a photo of how bent they are.

Was debating on getting a new set of cards due to the size issue, really does not affect the game.

Not to hijack the thread, but did anyone get a base for the first player token? It is designed for one, they have photos of it with one, I didn't get one, and the component list didn't list one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Perry
United States
Red Lion
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
igknight wrote:
I've got the same issue, also have the issue of the cards not being the same size, and holy cow are my cards bent. Anyone else have cards that came looking like someone shuffled them about a million times before sending them out?

Was debating on getting a new set of cards due to the size issue, really does not affect the game.

Not to hijack the thread, but did anyone get a base for the first player token? It is designed for one, they have photos of it with one, I didn't get one, and the component list didn't list one.

I got one in my copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lemieux
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I'll add it to my list when I e-mail them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delith Malistar
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
mbmbmbmbmb
igknight wrote:

Mine started to warp during my first playthrough just from being unwrapped and sitting there. As mine also were a product of the card size snaffu I plan on getting them replaced anyway but is this what you have experienced as well or you mean they were in the foil bent?

Also, I got a base for the token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lemieux
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malistar22 wrote:
igknight wrote:

Mine started to warp during my first playthrough just from being unwrapped and sitting there. As mine also were a product of the card size snaffu I plan on getting them replaced anyway but is this what you have experienced as well or you mean they were in the foil bent?

Also, I got a base for the token.

They were warped in the foil, but not that badly. Once I opened them they did warp a lot more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Brebach
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I'd say the weird board issue is likely occurring because some or all of the fold paper popped out a little rather than in during its initial folding.

This fix for weird board fold issues seems to have worked for some users:

For anyone who had a "bad fold" on their board (where half of the paper along the fold doesn't "lay in the crease" correctly): I took a rounded-end stick (I guess the blunt rear end of a round tipped pen might also work?) and gently pushed the extra 'wrong fold' paper line down along the crease so it lay correct. (Gently so you don't tear it.) Open and close the board a bit to make sure it's in place, and my board is now flat and fine.

Could you guys try that and let us know if that approach works for you?

You will soon be able to request new boards if that doesn't work for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Herron
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i gently flattened my board along the fold using my hand, then folded it back and forth a few times.

Sits flat now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Brebach
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Re cards being a little bent... I suspect they can do this when opened and exposed to different air than they were packed in. Mine were initially a little warped in our extreme Aussie summer but have since settled down to being flat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lemieux
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kbrebach wrote:
Re cards being a little bent... I suspect they can do this when opened and exposed to different air than they were packed in. Mine were initially a little warped but have since settled down to being flat.

I've had issues with other boards warping due to the humidity in the room I was playing in (like to the point that pieces would slide off), never had it with cards before. I'll have to check to see if mine have corrected themselves. I got busy last night and forgot to take pictures of everything. I'll have to try the board fix too.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Brebach
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
A few backers have reported some "dirty smudges" on the board that I suspect is remnant glue from production. I have heard reports this can be wiped off with a slightly damp cloth. Try this yourself and don't forget to dry the board immediately if this works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Binny
Australia
Wanniassa
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have "the board issue" too and i have attempted the fix to no avail.

I guess I am probably telling you things you already know given I've never actually manufactured a board game before, but just in case it's still a mystery... I believe the underlying cause of the problem with my particular board is that the two board substrate pieces weren't parallel when the art was affixed. At one end of the bend, the board substrate pieces are 4 mm apart and the other end 2mm.

I'm speculating on the build process here, but thinking about how the process would be done, one explanation (for my board) would be...

1. The art (larger piece) is probably laid face down with the adhesive up.
2. the 2 board pieces were laid down without being parallel - adhering to the reverse side of the larger board art piece
3. the sides that wrap around the edge of the board are folded over locking the position of the now unparallel board pieces - so that side of the art looks, more or less, ok given the art was flat when the board pieces were stuck on.
4. the second side art was affixed by (sort of) lining it up with the outside edge of the board, causing it to have too much fold material in the small gap.

Because one side of the boards art has been glued on to a 2mm gap there is nowhere for the art on the other side to fold into so it is pinched into an irreversible protruding crease and prevents the two pieces of the board from being in the same plane.

To be clear, I am completely confident that Good Games is all over the productions issues and that it will be rectified, I just thought it might be of use to articulate what i think caused the issue with the one board I have looked at...obviously not a statistically significant sample :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Campbell
Australia
Monterey
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kbrebach wrote:
Re cards being a little bent... I suspect they can do this when opened and exposed to different air than they were packed in. Mine were initially a little warped in our extreme Aussie summer but have since settled down to being flat.

Mine are quite warped still in wrapping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon T
Australia
Peakhurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MontyBell wrote:
kbrebach wrote:

The best fix for that is to unwrap them and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Campbell
Australia
Monterey
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thewagon wrote:
MontyBell wrote:
kbrebach wrote:

Nah, they're all sorts of short and longs. Will wait for the replacements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Barat
United States
Hawthorne
NJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MontyBell wrote:
thewagon wrote:
MontyBell wrote:
kbrebach wrote:

Nah, they're all sorts of short and longs. Will wait for the replacements.

maybe its just the shrink wrap - they looked a little warped but ok after a few minutes out of the wrap.. (except for the size issue)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Barat
United States
Hawthorne
NJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lebut wrote:
I have "the board issue" too and i have attempted the fix to no avail.

I guess I am probably telling you things you already know given I've never actually manufactured a board game before, but just in case it's still a mystery... I believe the underlying cause of the problem with my particular board is that the two board substrate pieces weren't parallel when the art was affixed. At one end of the bend, the board substrate pieces are 4 mm apart and the other end 2mm.

I'm speculating on the build process here, but thinking about how the process would be done, one explanation (for my board) would be...

1. The art (larger piece) is probably laid face down with the adhesive up.
2. the 2 board pieces were laid down without being parallel - adhering to the reverse side of the larger board art piece
3. the sides that wrap around the edge of the board are folded over locking the position of the now unparallel board pieces - so that side of the art looks, more or less, ok given the art was flat when the board pieces were stuck on.
4. the second side art was affixed by (sort of) lining it up with the outside edge of the board, causing it to have too much fold material in the small gap.

Because one side of the boards art has been glued on to a 2mm gap there is nowhere for the art on the other side to fold into so it is pinched into an irreversible protruding crease and prevents the two pieces of the board from being in the same plane.

To be clear, I am completely confident that Good Games is all over the productions issues and that it will be rectified, I just thought it might be of use to articulate what i think caused the issue with the one board I have looked at...obviously not a statistically significant sample :-)

I too have a board that is quite a bit off..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Brebach
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Guys if you have a board which doesn't sit flat and pressing the fold paper inwards gently but firmly doesn't fix it to your satisfaction, you can request a replacement board along with or separate to card replacements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Herron
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm up to 9 plays of Unfair (I know, I think I have a problem) and with each play the board gets better. I did "flatten" then board using my finger along the crease after the 1st play, but at this point there is no need for me to request a new board as the original one is fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill Wong
msg tools
mb
Hi Kim, I sent you a message a while ago. Just messaging here as a prompt in case you didn't see it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.