Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Cooper
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
In my game group, most of the players prefer games like Imperial, Terra Mystica, Railways of the World, and Colonial (which are just a few of the games we've played). I just ordered this from CSI and I really hope it goes over well with my game group. Curious if any of those games could compare to FCM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Alexander
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
beef
badge
sack
mbmbmbmbmb
Your groups sounds very much like our group, love medium-heavy games and FCM was probably the heaviest game we'd jumped into (apart from possibly Dominant Species or Clash of Cultures.)

Rules are surprisingly simple, but it takes multiple plays to get your head around all the milestones (incredibly important) and the basic strategy.

It has become the favourite game of our group, if you're lucky it'll sit well with everyone, but make sure to understand your first game won't be the full experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
vanruyn wrote:
Curious if any of those games could compare to FCM.

No. What you have played are entrées. FCM is a main course in comparison, with far more emphasis on player skills, interaction, and reading ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the teach for this game is about as long as Terra Mystica's and the long term effects of the milestones are as intuitive as the the way the energy bowls work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:
No. What you have played are entrées. FCM is a main course in comparison

This remark is going to be confusing for Americans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial players should like fcm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
WilbertK wrote:
cymric wrote:

Yes, but not for those outside of the US. Given that I was taught English as they speak and write it in the UK, you now tell me whom I should cater to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WilbertK wrote:
cymric wrote:

Yep. Haha. A few of us Americans have studied some French language and culture, so we understand. But you are correct.

Translation to American: "The games you play are some solid appetizers, FCM is the entrée."

For the foodies in the US: "The games you play are solid entrées, but FCM is the real plat principal."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
nukeu666 wrote:
Imperial players should like fcm

Yes I should think so. Both require understanding relative strengths and weaknesses in player positions (incl. your own) and demand you to take advantage of it. FCM is harsher on errors I find though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
anaturalharmonic wrote:
cymric wrote:

Translation to American: "The games you play are some solid appetizers, FCM is the entrée."

Wow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adil M
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
anaturalharmonic wrote:
cymric wrote:

Wow.

Pour les Joueurs français, the game features soda, beer, hamburgers, pizza, and lemonade, five gastronomic atrocities that are the polar opposites of french mainstays like goose, wine, cigarettes, and cheating on your wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:
WilbertK wrote:
cymric wrote:

Yes, but not for those outside of the US. Given that I was taught English as they speak and write it in the UK, you now tell me whom I should cater to.

In the UK, they would usually say "starter" instead of entree (or appetizer) whistle ...but yes, they would understand entree as you use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, what? Do Americans use entree as another word for main course??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
greendayfan333 wrote:

Apparently. Look guys, the answer is that you simply all learn to speak Dutch. Voorgerecht, hoofdgerecht. That way I don't have to twist my linguistical arm to deal with these aberrations; it's all up to you meeple.

But we're digressing. FCM really is a lot more involved than what the OP is used to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Cooper
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for all the info guys. Hopefully they will enjoy it (and same for me) when it arrives. The biggest issue I see with it is I hear there is a lot of "Take that!" game play. Someone builds stuff up to have someone else screw them over. Dunno how well that will go over. Example, in Railways of the World, someone built purposely near a city which blocked that city off and cut part of the map off to the rest of the players (the lower west corner with Spain on the Europe map). Well, one guy was trying to complete the major line to that area for a few turns now and when that happened....things got a little tense at the table.

That's my biggest concern but the fact that there is no dice or random chance to the game could be a huge plus for these guys. Me, I'll play just about anything so I'm not worried about that but I'm all for bringing in and playing anything to break up the 5000 games of Hanabi we've played and keep playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adil M
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
vanruyn wrote:
Thanks for all the info guys. Hopefully they will enjoy it (and same for me) when it arrives. The biggest issue I see with it is I hear there is a lot of "Take that!" game play. Someone builds stuff up to have someone else screw them over. Dunno how well that will go over. Example, in Railways of the World, someone built purposely near a city which blocked that city off and cut part of the map off to the rest of the players (the lower west corner with Spain on the Europe map). Well, one guy was trying to complete the major line to that area for a few turns now and when that happened....things got a little tense at the table.

That's my biggest concern but the fact that there is no dice or random chance to the game could be a huge plus for these guys. Me, I'll play just about anything so I'm not worried about that but I'm all for bringing in and playing anything to break up the 5000 games of Hanabi we've played and keep playing.

Some people consider this a positive because a lot of engine building games from Europe are just simulators of efficiency, but this game lets you play to your opponents moves as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Off-topic, if you have two cities in Age of Steam...

C1----C2

... which you would like to connect but you only have 2 or 3 track pieces remaining do not do the following:

C1===-C2

Anyone with a half a brain will figure out what your next track piece will be. Instead do this:

C1==-=C2

At worst, the only thing an opponent can do is raise the price of that last bit of track by 1$.

Note that in AoS this only works if both C1 and C2 are actual cities and not just towns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greendayfan333 wrote:

Yes! And just like the much derided "soccer" for football, it's not even really our fault. The word diverged at an earlier stage, when it had a different meaning. The Europeans pushed it further toward the start of a meal, while the American began to include further substantial and diverse items under the heading of entree. The result is a European entree that's considerably lighter and earlier in a meal and an American entree that's much heavier and later in a meal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UanarchyK wrote:
greendayfan333 wrote:

Yes! And just like the much derided "soccer" for football, it's not even really our fault. The word diverged at an earlier stage, when it had a different meaning. The Europeans pushed it further toward the start of a meal, while the American began to include further substantial and diverse items under the heading of entree. The result is a European entree that's considerably lighter and earlier in a meal and an American entree that's much heavier and later in a meal.

You learn something new every day

Soccer I get, and I can forgive Americans for! As a gridiron fan in the UK, I often use "soccer" myself so it's obvious which "football" I'm referring to, much to the horror of my fellow Brits.

BACK ON TOPIC:
I have never played any of the games you reference, but I've found FCM to be fairly divisive across players who have a lot of other games in common. Some people will love it, others will hate it. It's a fairly marmite game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed James
United Kingdom
Huntingdon
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FCM is divisive beceause it offers up a large decision space in which reside many efficiency traps. A single bad choice can affect your ability to compete for several turns or even the whole game. There are safer routes through the game, if you know them, but like walking on a tight-rope it's still pretty easy to fall off.

All of that can make playing FCM quite stressful for some players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris S
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
I sporadically review games...
badge
... It's a running kidney... Kidneys are kind of my profession...
mbmbmbmbmb
greendayfan333 wrote:

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Kalina
United States
Deerfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
We are FRELLED!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, wouldn't a more thematic answer be that the other games are like an order of chicken wings or side of fries and FCM is like a Pizza/Hamburger?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your whole group is new to FCM, I'm sure it will go over very well. The rules are surprisingly simple. And you can figure out the strategy together.

Where FCM is an issue (like many heavy economic games) is when there is a significant experience/skill disparity. The experienced player will not only win at FCM, it will be a massacre, and the other players will walk away feeling a tad abused. The game is quite mean, very unforgiving, and there is no catch up mechanism whatsoever (in fact it's the opposite, as the leader tends to build momentum).

Overall, it's an awesome game with an absolute ton of replay value. Just make sure everyone knows the rules in advance, and ideally give it a few plays with the same group in order to see the interaction blossom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.