Subject: Attacking Light Armor or Armored Vehicles at Range rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
G Geisler

Santa Fe
New Mexico
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand in most cases that infantry attacking tanks is more likely to be successful during Melee (or adjacent with a satchel) but can infantry alone attack light tanks or armored vehicles at range?

I ask because I thought about using a T-60 scout tank to protect my attacking Russian Forces while playing the Last Minute scenario but the armor value of 2 is pretty weak and the German rifle squad has a firepower of 4.

Am I missing something in the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Nicholls
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
NMVOL wrote:
I understand in most cases that infantry attacking tanks is more likely to be successful during Melee (or adjacent with a satchel) but can infantry alone attack light tanks or armored vehicles at range?

I ask because I thought about using a T-60 scout tank to protect my attacking Russian Forces while playing the Last Minute scenario but the armor value of 2 is pretty weak and the German rifle squad has a firepower of 4.

Am I missing something in the rules?

Infantry can only use the their HE firepower against armoured targets in melee. I am sure you can't use satchels against armoured vehicles - where is this in the rules? You can use these against trucks, but they aren't armoured.

For ranged attacks against armoured targets you need to have an AP attack and then resolve as usual for these attacks (ie roll to hit then resolve on VCT). For infantry That would be anti-tank support weapons such as bazookas, panzerfausts, panzershreks and AT guns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Pultorak
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes you can use satchel charges to attack vehicles.
See Rules sections 7-7 and 7-8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Geisler

Santa Fe
New Mexico
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Gents! I think it might be good for Shayne to weigh in at some point since it might provide an opportunity to improve the next version of the rulebook.

Infantry firepower is not broken out by "AP" or "HE" in the rules under Section 4/Squads. Section 8/Vehicles does state that that "all vehicles, except Trucks, are armored and hard targets. They are attacked using AP Firepower. Trucks are soft targets and are attacked with HE Firepower or small arms."

The safest assumption is that infantry does not have "AP" firepower so "small arm fire" is equivalent to HE.

It appears Melee is the exception to the rule. Section 30/Melee combat item #10 states that "each side adds up all HE attack FP of all units in the Melee to arrive at their total FP."

Since infantry alone against tanks is a common situation a little bit more clarity in the rules might help, along with expansion counters for bazookas and mortars.

Again, enjoying the game. The fate of that scout tank versus the infantry squad is still undecided..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Logan
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the squad's FP is small arms, no inherent AP.
I see what you're saying, checked the rules and it doesn't specifically say HE or 'use against soft/foot targets' in the same way as it does for vehicles.

Some support weapons, though not specifically intended for anti-tank, can be used on vehicles in adjacent hex. Satchels, flamethrowers, grenade bundles and molotovs. Firepower is halved to account for difficulty of the attack.

Infantry can get good results sometimes in Melee, but of course it is deadly for both sides .

I've included a couple clips from the rulebook, including the section on anti-tank weapons coming in V2.

Glad you're enjoying the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.