Subject: ARVNbot question - Transport/Sweep rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can a Transport set up a new space to Sweep? What I mean is, if there is a space with Support and UG Guerrillas, but no ARVN cubes/Rangers, would Transport move ARVN pieces there, to make it viable once we get to Sweep?

Thanks,

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, provided that there at most two possible Sweep-in-place spaces that need Transported reinforcements and that the number of Transported units is high enough.

Regards,
Oerjan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so 2 follow up questions:

1a. Why at most 2? I'm not seeing what that refers to. There are no conditions on Sweep in the decision diamond (other than no Monsoon). So why not 3 spaces? I didn't think there would be a requirement to be able to Sweep, to Sweep, if that makes sense. What I mean is, if there are no possible Sweep places without Transport, are you saying we go to Assault? Or do we first Raid/Transport, to see if we can create one, and only if not, move to Assault? I was assuming the latter, and thus allowing potentially for 3 brand new Sweep spaces for Transport to create.

1b. Also, why only where the number of Troops are high enough? As I read it, there is no requirement in either Transport or Sweep to Activate all Guerrillas there. So even if there are not enough Troops Transported, that is fine, no? Or were you referencing something else?

2. Then this ruling would also allow USbot Air Lift to set up a Sweep In Place where no US Troops existed before. I know you have said it cannot set up a Sweep Into, but assuming no Air Lifted US Troops were needed by any Sweep Into, it could, potentially set up a Sweep In Place, if a space absent of US Troops was randomly rolled. Is that correct? It must be, as there appears to be no difference between setting up an ARVN Sweep In Place, and a US Sweep In Place (in fact, the last Bullet of US Sweep implies this as well, through the "(including after any Air Lift)" statement. There would be no need for this, if the only spaces to Sweep In Place were already eligible before Air Lift).

Thanks,

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Den Ell

Nebraska
msg tools
mb
Hi Colin:

I believe what Oerjan was directly responding to was your statement where you asked, “Can a Transport set up a new space to Sweep? What I mean is, if there is a space with Support and UG Guerrillas, but no ARVN cubes/Rangers, would Transport move ARVN pieces there, to make it viable once we get to Sweep?

Looking at this statement, you were asking about setting up “collocated in place” sweeps by creating it with transports; and Oerjan responded directly to this question by stating, “Yes, provided that there at most two possible Sweep-in-place spaces that need Transported reinforcements and that the number of Transported units is high enough.” When you examine the ARVN Sweep bot instruction you find this:

Sweep in up to 3 spaces:
1st bullet telling us what the sequential order for the collocated in place sweeps will be.
2nd bullet telling us which troops may move during the sweeps.
3rd bullet telling us which space(s) the ARVN troops might move into during the Sweeps.

The 1st two sweeps, of the three, will be into ‘collocated in place sweep spaces’; this is what Oerjan was referring to when he stated, ““Yes, provided that there at most two possible Sweep-in-place spaces that need Transported reinforcements…” And the 2nd part of that statement means simply, that to make those spaces “Viable” there’d have to be enough ARVN Troops transported to activate ALL Guerrilla’s and within that to Add the most Coin cntl, if any.

Bullet 3: This bullet says, “First into above to Activate the most, then to add the Most Control Pop.”
What exactly does this mean? It means ARVN will sweep into the spaces already selected in bullets 1 & 2 for ‘in-place Collocated sweep spaces’ with sufficient enough troops present to activate ALL Underground Guerrillas there: AND within that, you must determine whether or not moving in more cubes (in this instance by Transport) into any collocated sweep spaces would succeed in Activating any more Guerrilla’s, OR; within that to add the Most COIN Control (if any).

The 4th Bullet:
This bullet may be where you’re confused. What exactly is it stating?

Then into 1 more to add most COIN control Pop, then to VC/NVA Base.
**** [This bullet] Tells which space Troops might move into during a non-collocated, non in-place Sweep.
If any potential Sweep destinations are left, ARVN will Sweep into just 1 additional space;
((( Per one of Oerjan's post: "ARVNbot only continues to the final Sweep bullet [this one] (moving into a completely new space) after it has finished reinforcing all its selected Sweep-in-place bullets.))) Notice this bullet is quite different from the others and is more like the US sweeps where it doesn’t require the ARVN to sweep into ‘collocated in place sweep spaces’, again which Oerjan was referring to when he only stated “2” spaces in his reply. This 3rd one isn't collocated nor in-place.
1) Move Troops into 1 added space (if not yet @ 3 sweep spaces total).
a) Do so to add the most Coin-controlled Population possible, or if none possible, or if no such space, (otherwise)
b) Sweeping somewhere into a space with a VC or NVA Base.

IF NONE: If no such Sweep is possible (such as in Monsoon), ARVN instead Assault per 8.7.4.

NOTE: The phrase "to help or not" within this bot instruction is determining the number of ARVN troops that would 'help' or not if they were to be added either by the sweeps themselves or as you’re question has revealed by the transports; as Eric Guttag noted in one of his post: "Note also that you move just enough ARVN Troops into the Sweep space to achieve those priorities, no more, no less. (The ARVN bot Sweep Op is different from, for example, the NVA bot March Ops where all NVA units March into the space to the extent you obey restrictions in the origin space, which is leaving behind 2 NVA units.)

So in all spaces involved, you’re only going to move in just enough ARVN Troops in/into to meet the priorities of the sweep instruction.

Hope this helps & Please visit this post: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1755678/arvnbot-questio...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.